StromTrooper banner

Transmission noise?

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  G-Dub 
#1 ·
I was going through a tunnel the other day and didn't have my earplugs in. I was amazed at the noise echoing off the walls from my bike - a very pronounced whine drowning out any exhaust or wind noise. Out of the tunnel I listened more carefully. The noise starts at about 50k and gradually gets louder and increased pitch until loudest at about 80k. It then is not so noticeable as wind noise increases. I assumed that this is chain noise, but wonder why it is so loud in this bike. I have checked chain alignment (using straight piece of wood, not marks on swing arm) and tension and I'm sure both are spot on. I also wonder if this is tyre noise as it seems to be worse in some roads than others. I did change the rear tyre recently for a Michelin Anakee 2.
Any thoughts and and idea whether anything could be done about it. I don't think the Glee makes a particularly nice noise - generally noises from the engine seem to drown out the exhaust. I think that Glees sound better to those not on the bike than the rider?

#3 ·
Odd that I have not really noticed it before. Is there anything that can be done to reduce noise? Why are Vstroms prone to this more than other bikes?

#4 ·
Ear plugs are the cure, but an auto or manual chain oiler like a "Tutoro" will for sure help deaden the sound a bit. Go to our vendors section and visit "Adventuretech" Rick can get you all hooked up. :fineprint:

#5 ·
I've got a scottoiler, so it looks as if I done everything possible. Need to remember to put earplugs in, although with my helmet (Shoei GT air) and adventure screen I find things fairly quiet anyway.

#7 ·
Gear driven Camshafts? yum :)

Reactions: VStrommer263
#10 ·
On my 2005 wee, I noticed the noise from the chain was considerably lowered when I changed the original chain for an aftermarket x-ring chain. Later, when I had to change the x-ring chain, I got a deal on a OEM chain. The noise was back...On my 2013, I find that the noise, although still present, is somewhat lower than on the 2005, something I noticed the moment I got on it, which was minutes after getting off my 2005. But dont worry, it is only annoying, not a reliability or security concern.

#12 ·
How many miles are on the chain and sprockets? The original chain and sprockets on mine had 23k miles, I swapped them out a month ago and it made a huge reduction in the amount of drive train noise.

#14 ·
My 650 gets worse when it's time for lubrication. For some reason my 1000 doesn't seem to have much chain noise at all. Or maybe the engine just drowns it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.