StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anyone here ridden the Trans-Labrador Highway? What tires did you use?

I have metzeler tourance front and rear but am wondering if I will need something knobbier.

I watched a youtube video of a guy who did it on a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado so I'm not sure I need something for gravel oriented

Rich

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Your Tourances will be fine. Let out some air if you want...

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I had A3's on went I went last summer and they were fine!

Its more the rider's confidence, I think. I would recommend some practice with gravel road skills. Picking the cleanest part of the road and focusing on it. Keeping your arms and hands relaxed and letting the bike move under you.
Also, I live in a very rural part of Mass. so I'm used to traveling along miles of empty roads with no houses but I can see how that would work on someone's psyche if they weren't used to it.
Make sure your bike has no maintenance issues to niggle the back of your mind.
And try to remember that you're doing this because it's a wonderful ADVENTURE after all and you may never get to do it again. :thumb up:

As far as speed: a few times the road was clean enough to do 55 but mostly I liked going 40 in 4th. At 4,000 rpms, throttle response is easy to manage on the bumps.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got 8000kms, 5000 miles on the Heidenau K60 scouts. No really noticeable wear, about 90% pavement. A high pitched whine at 40mph and 70mph disappeared recently. They are great in gravel and dirt, and I've no issues on wet pavement. I intend doing the TLH next year and will use this model tire. They seem to be all the good things people say about them, at least in my limited experience

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it were me I would go with the K60 Scouts I've got 9000 miles on mine through all kinds of riding. They will probably go another 2 to 3000 miles. I'm on a DL 1000 and weigh 260 and have loaded the bike up pretty heavy during these miles as well as ridden pretty high sustained speeds on them in Montana.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
23 Posts
My buddy did it on Shinko 705's on his GS1150. I'm rocking them now and loving them, but havent dont the trans-lab yet..

Good price on the tires and they've never let me (or him) down.

bring a tire kit and air compressor, BTW. You're hard pressed to get those truckers to help out from what i understand.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
My buddy on his F650GS and K-60's - and his 65 year old dad on his F800ST with Pilot Road's did the TransLab last summer and the father had no trouble keeping up with the son. Tired of the noise, my buddy swapped his tires out as soon as he got back.
Though aggressive tires can help give you confidence on a ride like that, ultimately its more about riding skill than tread pattern....:beatnik:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will be doing TLH in about 2 weeks. My tires are getting worn so I have plans to change to K-60's in New Brunswick before crossing to NFLD and up to Labrador. Present tires are front: Road Pilot trail, rear: Battlewing. I'm looking to see how the Scouts perform on gravel. I have tried other combinations on the forestry trunk roads in Alberta (gravel abt 800Km), and turned back after about 20 kilometers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TLH

We completed this trip last year on my dl650aexpedition and my friend had a BMW800gs. We both used the Heideneau Scouts and loved them. Great wear and handling. All total there is now only about 800km of gravel roads. The biggest problem we found was the rows of gravel left by the graders. We averaged speeds around 100kmph or 63mph and were fine until we hit a long rows of loose gravel. Most tires will be good, you will have to watch out for these areas of loose gravel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just completed TLH. Had the new Scouts and they were great. Section closest to Ferry had major construction and road was muddy. They did this plus every thing else well.
Good time to go as there are very few bugs!!!!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've just got back and it really doesn't matter unless perhaps you get into some deep mud around Fire Lake. My two year old Tourane's were fine. I met a guy who did the same route on a Goldwing with normal street tires.

I guess the trade off is how much fun do you want in the dirt and gravel off set by how comfortable a ride do you want getting there and back. Of my 5K km trip less that 900 was dirt/gravel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts