StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
whoa, that's pretty tough. excuse my ignorance, is that in alaska??

what speed were you going? and speeking of radiator guards....

neat vid, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
whoa, that's pretty tough. excuse my ignorance, is that in alaska??

what speed were you going? and speeking of radiator guards....

neat vid, thanks for sharing.
Canadian highway in Newfoundland and Labrador. Mostly dirt but they are paving or have paved portions of the road. (Trans-Labrador Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The speeds are anywhere between 30-70 MPH depending on the surface conditions. The Vee held up very well and was quite stable on the surface which consists of loose gravel, dirt and sand.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I drove my car through roads like that on Northern Vancouver island, and at the end of it, i had an inch of dust inside the car. I can only imagine what that would do to your air filter over a prolonged period.

Do you wear a face mask?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I drove my car through roads like that on Northern Vancouver island, and at the end of it, i had an inch of dust inside the car. I can only imagine what that would do to your air filter over a prolonged period.

Do you wear a face mask?
Full face with mask entire time. I had picked up a new K&N before I left so I will throw that in this weekend. Dust was intense. I taped up the lights. Every commented how "planted" the bike looked. Other bikes there were: K1200GT, F800GS, Honda Magna 750. Everyone was impressed with the Strom. Beemer guys seemed to realize the value. Great group to ride with.

We had a support vehicle following us and after the road the engine bay way covered in dust.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
That dust can make for a very dangerous road. A week before I set off for Newfoundland a BMW rider was killed on the Trans-Lab. He was not a novice rider, but a NYC motorcycle cop in his professional life. Died by hitting the car ahead of him.

Glad you made it safely across.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That dust can make for a very dangerous road. A week before I set off for Newfoundland a BMW rider was killed on the Trans-Lab. He was not a novice rider, but a NYC motorcycle cop in his professional life. Died by hitting the car ahead of him.

Glad you made it safely across.
Nice bike BTW. We crossed and spent time with some other riders. What surprised me was that we spoke to 2 or 3 riders that were passing the road by themselves; which seemed crazy to me. We saw no groups and a few singles crossing the road. Plenty of trucks.

One rider, not on his own bike, but the driver of the support vehicle rode one of our bike and wrecked. Ended up in hospital with concussion and some injuries. He had an accident on one of the wooden bridges. Ok now but came home to get CT scan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should also say this was my first time on anything but Tarmac. So the Vee really did take care of me. Take weight off the bars, trust your tires, forget you have a front brake, and use your throttle wisely.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I should also say this was my first time on anything but Tarmac. So the Vee really did take care of me. Take weight off the bars, trust your tires, forget you have a front brake, and use your throttle wisely.
Wow, that's an accomplishment. Been riding dirt bikes most of my life and I would not have picked the Vee for that road. You learned off pavement the hard way. Good work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice Vid. Did this run a couple years ago with some friends:

SQUIDVENTURE Trans Labrador - ADVrider

Those dirt roads (about 1500 kms worth) are very remote and can be very challenging as the surface can go from pavement-like hard pack to something like driving on marbles in a bed of axle grease. Anyone who has done this road should have a well deserved sense of accomplishment. Well done

1 - 13 of 13 Posts