StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I've looked at the website and pondered it, but some of the pictures scare me. That is just way to much mud for the Wee to handle. I couldn't get enough time off work to do it anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been looking over a lot of the trip reports and view www.bigdogadventures.com website. It appears that the Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado trip could be ridden on a DL650. I'm planning on riding these areas in June. Anyone want to join me?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think with the right set up it can be done!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've taken mine off road on some trails. If I ride slow enough and let about 1/2 of the pressure out of my tires, it does OK. But, that's only after moving to a 14 tooth counter sprocket and lower tire pressure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: TAT on A DL

I've done most of the TAT Arkansas a few times on my old R11GS and later on my KLR650. Best bike I've been on for it was my old DR350SE. But when it starts raining. you want to park them all.
Ditto with Oklahoma, good till it rains.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have KLX650R for dual sporting, but I've honestly thought of taking the strom to to the 3 eastern states (TN, MS, & AR) on the TAT just for the sake of comfort and fuel range. That way I could ride the bike up there to the start of the TAT and still have a comfortable highway ride home. . It appears the though sections are minimal, especially TN and it easily doable. If it rains, I'm sure it could get interesting.

I figured I could swap front sprockets when I got there and run like a 14 for lower gearing and then put the 15 (or 16) back on for the ride home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May TAT ride

I am considering an early May ride trying to get in the TN, MS, AR portions using my DL650. I understand that most of TN has been sealed over. Anyone intrested let me know, I do not have a firm date yet as I don't know my May schedule. I am shooting for the first week of May.

I am planning on riding out of indiana down to the Sparta start point and then doing the first three states or as much as time will let me and then riding back to Indiana. Saving time of trying to get back to the truck so I can spend it on the trail.

Please send an email if intrested and we can hammer out details over the next couple of weeks.

Tent camping or motels or any combination there of.

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did the western half of Arkansas (started near Conway, AR) over the weekend along with a section of eastern OK on my DL650 last weekend. If it's dry it's no problem at all in AR. I did skip Warloop Road though as I've done that "road" on my DR400 so knew what it was like and I was by myself and tired with a sore shoulder so didn't think it was smart to try it. Plus it can beat the hell out of your bike! Skirted around it and made camp for the night.

haven't completed OK yet but I've done everything from the AR/OK line to Newkirk, OK although I headed home from near Tahlequah, OK last weekend. I live near Oklahoma City so I need to finish the OK section sometime although I have been on most of those roads at one time or another. You do not want to be on a Strom on those roads if it rains! A lot of sand in the western parts of OK too and watch for cows!

The Western AR ride is awesome, great scenery and nice roads. No technical stuff other than Warloop which is really only technical (to me) due to the weight of the Strom, again though, all bets are off if it rains. The only problem I've run into is when they have recently regraveled a road and used baseball sized gravel, that's no fun no matter what bike you are on. Having said all that, the AR section is easily doable on a Strom and well worth it.

If anybody is planning on an AR/OK run, let me know. I'm always up for riding that area if I can get the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tat

What tires are you running on your Strom for the AR / OK sections?

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
I took a run on FM3002 last month on my DLK ( part of TAT ) with the stock Trailwings on it. Much more fun on my KLR though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts