StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured I should try out the new-to-me ramps I bought last year

here are two photos

it was easy, I just needed a careful hand on the clutch-throttle combo so as to not stall the engine as I inched my way up, for coming down it was engine-off

each of the three ramps have a safety cable to hook them to trailer

center ramp is heavier as it takes the bikes load, with me on it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the ramps fold in half, so, yes, they could fit -

Do the ramps fit in the trailer?
the ramps fold in half, so yes, they could fit - this session was a test of loading, thats all

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re wheel chock

No wheel chocks?
this session was a test of loading, thats all

I have used temporary arrangements for a front wheel chock in the past with my EX250 (sold), but I am leaning to a removable steel wheel chock for the Wee, becasue the Wee is bigger and heavier

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I'd feel better about walking the bike up the ramps...strong ramp on the right for the bike, two lighter ramps on the left to walk on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dammer boy, excuses me but that trailer does not look long enough etc. My advice would be to buy a different trailer with a tilt/tip and forget this setup as it looks like this setup would be tail heavy when loaded with the Strom which is not a good idea and will cause w-e-a-v-e ....... :thumbdown:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd feel better about walking the bike up the ramps...strong ramp on the right for the bike, two lighter ramps on the left to walk on.
+1000!!! Its harder to drop a bike with your feet planted on something firm... give it some gas, feather the clutch and walk that thing up...

·
Registered
326 Posts
arched ramps

the arched ramps are a great addition to the rider who uses a trailer or pick up with a higher, off the ground, load surface

it helps in the avoidance of high centering, during the loading process, as you've shown in the above pictures

your WIDE ramp combination also aids the loader by providing a place to, either, walk the bike from either side or ride it up while paddling with both feet

when it comes to mounting things like wheel chocks and tie down rings in a utility style trailer, i've become a great fan of BED BOLTS

Truck Tie Downs | Removable Eye Bolts | BedBolts.com

BED BOLTS can be installed in a wooden floored trailer and pulled down flush so that when you aren't hauling your skooter, the eye bolts can be removed, without tools, to return your trailer to a flat floored hauling machine

for folks who haul their skoots in the bed of a pick up, the remaining BED BOLT HEADS are in the lower troughs of the corrugated bed design and that doesn't interfere with the use of the pick up bed, when the eye bolts are removed, again w/o tools

for just anchoring a chock or center rail, i just use a common 3/8" bolt to secure them, instead of the eye bolts that come with the bed bolts

your wide arched ramp should give you many glitch-less loadings & unloadings

shiny side up

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
+1000!!! Its harder to drop a bike with your feet planted on something firm... give it some gas, feather the clutch and walk that thing up...
Roger that.

I'm glad to see that some of the decommisioned NASA Apollo program equipment has finally made it to the general public.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
light trailer

Dammer boy, excuses me but that trailer does not look long enough etc. My advice would be to buy a different trailer with a tilt/tip and forget this setup as it looks like this setup would be tail heavy when loaded with the Strom which is not a good idea and will cause w-e-a-v-e ....... :thumbdown:
that little Harbor Freight has hauled two sport bikes, with a greater total weight than the Wee - no issues at all - its hauled way more weight in dirt - it tows superbly

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bed bolts

its a multi use trailer

configured for hauling

bikes
dirt and debris
plywood, sheetrock etc (remove side panels)

it has removable bedbolts (eyebolts, actually) that install into reinforced fitments

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've looked at those ramps to load a bike in my F150. They are nice. Kind of overkill for that trailer given the low load floor. And come on, that ramp is easily ridden up, no need to walk it up, heck it's hardly steeper than a steep hill.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't have access to the site right now, but there is a hilarious YouTube showing someone trying to ride a big heavy cruiser up a ramp into the back of a U-Haul. There seems to be a delicate balance between having enough speed to go up a single ramp versus crashing into the back of the truck.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've looked at those ramps to load a bike in my F150. They are nice. Kind of overkill for that trailer given the low load floor. And come on, that ramp is easily ridden up, no need to walk it up, heck it's hardly steeper than a steep hill.
You know, you've encouraged me to re-think my position on this:

I think I'd park a couple of buses between the ramp and trailer and give it some throttle.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
speed up the ramp

I don't have access to the site right now, but there is a hilarious YouTube showing someone trying to ride a big heavy cruiser up a ramp into the back of a U-Haul. There seems to be a delicate balance between having enough speed to go up a single ramp versus crashing into the back of the truck.
thats why I duck walked the bike up with a delicate throttle-clutch combination

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
thats why I duck walked the bike up with a delicate throttle-clutch combination
I've got a trailer with a ramp-gate. That's not really an option with a V-Strom because when the front tire is halfway up the ramp, your feet are about a foot from touching anything.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I load bikes into vans all the time. I have two folding aluminum ramps from Tractor Supply similar to these.

I have two wheel chocks. One is a cheap Harbor Freight product.

The other is a top-of-the-line Condor Pit Stop / Trailer Stop. It can be bolted down but will support most bikes stand-alone.

PS I would never ride the bike up a ramp. Walk it up with clutch and throttle. Even better, get a spotter on the right side as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got a trailer with a ramp-gate. That's not really an option with a V-Strom because when the front tire is halfway up the ramp, your feet are about a foot from touching anything.
heaven help you if you stall out at that point...

hence one of my suggested options being walking beside one onto a trlr

we all have our special circumstances and will either learn how best to manage them or :furious::furious::furious:

shiny side up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts