StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go to Florida to ride for a week in January, I want to haul our motorcycles in a trailer to Florida rather than ride from West Virginia. I am thinking of riding from upper east coast of Florida to Key West. I need suggestions on how to find a place to park my truck and trailer while we ride for one week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since you don't need hook-ups, etc. you may want to check with campgrounds in the area where you want to drop off the truck and trailer. The one my sister-in-law stays at has a storage area for trailers. You might talk someone into letting you use a parking area for a small fee. Also, there are probably fenced storage areas for camper trailers that you might be able to use on a short term basis.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are 'Self Storage' businesses all over the country and many can store large items like boats, RV's, etc. Here's a link to "Public Storage" https://www.publicstorage.com/ I would bet that any one of them would rent storage space for the time you need.

Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you make sure your trip starts and ends at the same hotel, and the hotel is not too pressed for parking space, then you can typically agree a deal where your car and trailer can stay at the hotel parking lot for a week or so. If the parking lot is fenced somehow, all the better. If not, bring a good chain and lock, and lock the trailer either to the truck or to some other solid object.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Real good question. I've wondered about this and worried that leaving a trailer somewhere (except one of those self storage places) would invite stealing it. I like the u-haul idea but I'd make this suggestion. When you arrive at your destination, go to a local u-haul dealer and ask if you can park YOUR u-haul trailer in their lot for a small fee, rather than going thru the one way rental price structure.

IIRC, a mc trailer rental here is around $15/day, so it just might be cheaper to do the one way rental twice if you are staying for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Once you decide what your "point of entry" will be, you can call ahead to some places;

A Suzuki dealer (pizza for the staff on your return)
Park & Fly type places (two spots, end to end, please)
Towing company / wrecking yards (always fenced)
Commercial parking

There is an untrue story about a millionaire in Manhattan who every so often would go to his bank and borrow a hundred dollars and put up his Roll Royce for collateral.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've left my truck and trailer at small commercial airports before. They are used to vehicles being parked for several days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trailering V Strom to Florida - Thank you for suggestions

I want to thank everyone for the many suggestions on where to leave my truck and trailer while I tour in Florida this winter. I have left my vehicle at hotels in the past when I flew out to a vacation destination for a week. I think I'll first ask the hotel where I plan to start and finish my ride. I did check and there are at least to campgrounds near the start point. I also found an RV storage facility near by and there are several U-Haul places also. So, it looks like I have several option! Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Were you in the military? Enrolled in the VA?
After Jan 1, any service connected Vet will have access the the MWR facilities. Most have long term parking and secure storage areas. The VA identity card is all that will be required to access the MWR facility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts