StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size trailer? I am looking at a 5 x 8 trailer with 12 inch open sides. Is this size adequate for one, maybe two bikes? I am looking at a trailer with a removable rear ramp. I would not use the trailer's ramp to load the bike, instead use portable ramps. Would use the the trailer ramp for general hauling. Trying to configure for maximum versatility. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
trailer

I have hauled two sport bikes on a 4'x8' Harbor Freight trailer without any problems - but for 2 bikes I had an outrigger sytsem

you don't need outriggers for only one bike (I have eyebolts in the floor and on hooks on the outboard frame edges

I have not yet trailered my Vstrom - I hope not to

photo is of a six (yes, 6) strap tie down on the small bike - my wood ramp w/ rubber surface and w/ aluminum tongue fits into the side holders via 2x4s

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a "trailer in a bag" to haul my Wee south during the winter. It is nice from the standpoint that it collapses to a very small size when not being used to tow. comes in single or double.
There are several styles similar to mine. Downside is no protection from the elements, upside is minimal resistance and thus least loss of fuel economy when towing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
trailer

Most 5x8 utility trailers will work fine. Just check the weight limits before you buy one. Now days with the economy the way it is, some retailers are offering discounts by selling inferior products. I've seen good trailers that size with a weight limit of upwards of 2000 lbs. seen cheap ones with a limit under 1000. Even two Wee's will be over the lower limit.

Easy way to tell is the tire size, if they are smaller than 12" you won't have any reasonable weight limit, should really be at least 13".

Btw, I agree on the ramp and really dislike tilting trailers, mine was that way and now doesn't tilt, always manages to tilt at exactly the wrong time ;)

Bill H.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I dont believe a 5x8 trailer will be large enough for 2 v-stroms. I have a 6x10 and even then the bikes are close together unless one is backed in(not an easy job). If you are pulling it in very hot weather try to find one with 14" tires. as others have said pay attention to axel weights. If you buy one with the wooden floor be aware that after a few months the boards will will warp slightly and allow the bikes to lean back and forth some. this is easily corrected by just bolting the boards down to the metal frame .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 5x8' with 28" sides and have hauled 2 Tiger 1050s. It's a tight fit but do-able.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Too Much is Never Enough

My Wee was a perfect fit on my trailer on its ride home from bogfro's house in northern Tennessee, 200something miles.

It's a 7,000-pound 7x16 tandem axle beavertail utility trailer, two 4x6s bolted to the bed 6 inches apart. Didn't have any Canyon Dancers, so I used my 14,000 pound cargo straps on the tops of the Wee tires, and used the little straps on the handlebars.

I was afraid to drop it while driving it up the ramps, so bogfro loaded it for me.

Moral of the story: I used what I had. What are you going to use the trailer for other than carrying the bikes? This one has to haul rocks, building materials, cars, brush, Girl Scout hayrides & parade floats.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Trailer size

I would recommend a minimum of 6 ft width to speed up and simplify loading and agree with the at least 13 inch tires. Finally switched to 15's when pulling the race bikes to to tire grief a long way from home.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I found my 5x8 is small for 2 bikes. To keep the handlebars apart the bikes have to be at the outside edge of the trailer which doesn't allow a good outside tiedown. Trailer is too short to stagger the bikes. I would go with 6x10.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I dont believe a 5x8 trailer will be large enough for 2 v-stroms. I have a 6x10 and even then the bikes are close together unless one is backed in(not an easy job). If you are pulling it in very hot weather try to find one with 14" tires. as others have said pay attention to axel weights. If you buy one with the wooden floor be aware that after a few months the boards will will warp slightly and allow the bikes to lean back and forth some. this is easily corrected by just bolting the boards down to the metal frame .
I have a 6x10 and have no problem with two Wees.

I stagger them about a foot.

No problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
narrower trailer

When you trailer with two bikes in a narrower trailer you need outriggers to allow the bikes to be properly tied down, mentioned a couple times by previous posters btw.

Nothing real tricky with outriggers btw, have to be pretty strong though.

Bill H.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's the the Orangesicle riding proud on a modified Harbor Freight 4x8' trailer behind our Winnie.

I winch it up and roll it off an extra wide ramp (all except the storage box is from HF - I love that place!)

You can see my extra strong eyebolts through bolted into the plywood deck into the steel frame. I also beefed up the rear of the deck (where the bikes sets) because of the weight. The wheel chock at the front is metal and takes the weight well.

The remote control winch (barely seen here) lives at the right front of the trailer on 1 1/2" of plywood which is bolted to the frame under the main deck for additional strength when pulling the bike up the ramp.

I also added traction strips to the rear of the deck because when rolling the bike down the ramp, the front brake locked up, and the wheel slid on the painted plywood making for a butt puckering moment the first time I tested the unloading...

Four straps on the bike and one more to lock the front wheel in the chock plus a strap over the folded ramp and off we go. For security, I also added a chain and lock for the folding ramp (it locks to the desk via another eyebolt) to reduce the potential for loss when I am away from the trailer.

I also cut the straps to custom lenghts (to negate their tails flapping in the wind) and all are marked with their location on the trailer/bike.

Every time we stop at a RV park, I always get folks coming up and asking about the setup.

One last thing -- because of potential wind damage from a flapping cover, I do not put the cover on the bike when in transport. I do put either my rain cover or a light sun cover on the Orangesicle when stopped over night. The way the staps work, the cover slips right over the whole thing.

Like I said earlier - the entire setup was purchased at Harbor Freight. Wait a few minutes and you can buy nearly every part (trailer, ramp, front wheel chock, winch, and straps) on sale at HF. :yesnod: Only the plywood, storage box, bolts and eye bolts were bought elsewhere.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Trailer for V-Strom

I have a 5x8 trailer with 3' sides. I drive the bike up on the tail gate, works great. Plan to take Wee and Kawasaki EN 500 cruizer out to Colo from VA this summer.

mpasquin

·
Registered
86 Posts
With good gas, I think the Vee should do just fine pulling the 5x8 or even 6x10, and the whole rig would look right at home with a couple Harleys tied down on the long trip to Sturgis...

;) Sorry couldn't resist...

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
All great advice and can't argue with any of it. If by versatility you mean more than one bike or other uses - go 6x10. I used to have a 4x8, graduated to a 6x10 and so much more handy.

One thing I would add is to really look long and hard at capacity - more specifically suspension sag. Several years ago my cousin and I trailered our bikes a few thousand miles to start a ride. We used a 5x8 trailer with a torsion bar type suspension rated at 1700 lbs. We were trailering my wee and a BMW 650. No real problems with room or sturdiness but once both bikes were on - we trailered empty so weight was around 970 lbs. Hit anything more than a gentle bump and we soon found the tires would hit the underside of the fenders. So much for the capacity rating. We stopped at an RV place in Saskatchewan - actually just pullled off the Trans Can to check on things on the trailer. A mechanic came out and was looking at the bikes and we told him what was going on - his reply was if you can test out a small utility trailer - load what you think you will carry on it - measure the before and after drop in the clearance and assume doubling the load will be 1.5 times more sag. (I've never tested this so can't prove or disprove).

Fortunately we had no issues by taking it easy out and back but it did point out that I think capacity ratings, by themselves, are a bit of a misnomer.

Orangecicle - nice setup!. Your Harbour Freight is my Princess Auto - they know me by name.

Finally - I vote for the largerst tires-my utlity trailer has 15" and rides well.

Safe rides
Bob

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You can get a Wee on a 4x6 utility trailer; you have to angle it in, but I do it with no trouble.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Finally - I vote for the largerst tires-my utlity trailer has 15" and rides well.
+1 to this, larger tires have made a huge difference for me (not hauling bikes, hauling a trailer full of wood, lot more weight, i'd wager)

·
Registered
90 Posts
What are you pulling the trailer with?
That may help dictate the size.
I can't help you with the size.
If I am only hauling the wee, I load it into my pickup, back it into the ditch and drive right into the bed. Use the loading ramp at the dealership to unload. Haven't hauled it anyplace else unless I took multiple bikes or an offroad vehicle with it.
If I am carrying more, I have a 8.5ft x 22ft, tandom axle, dove tail car hauler I put them on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts