StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I don't see any suspension on that trailer.
I've pulled a trailer with my RSTD for many thousands of miles but would not pull one without suspension. I don't plan on pulling one with my DL650.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wonder if you would need to register it and get a license plate in some states? (and put lights on it).
Also, little things like possibly paying extra to ride the ferry to Newfoundland and places like that around the Northeast.
Is it hell to turn around on a steep jeep trail or is it best to just unhook it sometimes and then turn around?

Very interesting idea though.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
What do you need to carry in that extra space? Couldn't you just get larger panniers and top box?

It would take up a lot of space in Garage when not used, so unless your retired and traveling all the time it could be a pain to store no?

I suppose if your riding two up and Wife needs the kitchen sink then it makes sense (to me).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just read that California is a strict enforced 55limit. No lane splitting... No carpool lane. Only on the right hand lane for pulling.... I'm not going to do that so I'm just going to not tow out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,939 Posts
The IDRIDR posted, moto-mule, is the one I was thinking about earlier. The one in the original post picture is as RoyRR said was designed for bicycles.

Towing a single wheel trailer is kinda cool. The one thing that eventually gets to you is all the attention. It is not possible to stop at a rest area or motel without receiving compliments and answering questions about it. Sounds good at first, but eventually it gets tiring. Still better than shipping things to your destination and it is great for camping.

I experienced the CA state limitation on my trailer maiden trip. Really dumb law, but I here that is not unusual for CA.

I'm happy to share what I learned building mine, but most of it is detailed in the thread I linked. I would go with the torsion spring suspension next time. It eliminates the hardest parts in building a trailer like mine (i.e., the swing arm and all that goes with it).

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
We do have a 55mph law here but few observe it. I tow a Dog Trailer with my HD and even 55 in the slow lane can be dangerous with all the faster moving traffic. Our Aussie has been over 27K miles in the trailer around the western US.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
What do you need to carry in that extra space? Couldn't you just get larger panniers and top box?

It would take up a lot of space in Garage when not used, so unless your retired and traveling all the time it could be a pain to store no?

I suppose if your riding two up and Wife needs the kitchen sink then it makes sense (to me).
The reason I queried, Bug, was because in my advancing years I am more and more leaning towards comfort. Motorcycle camping is my one big thrill these days but the bike is almost overstuffed. Last year I picked up a Redverz, a humongous tent and got the idea that it was just too big. I have now just come back from Moab trying out my new MEC Cabin 4 and, holy shyte, it's bigger. (But it does fit the whole Swedish Bikini Team.)
Not that I will ever buy a trailer but I gotta say, I am curious.:grin2:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We do have a 55mph law here but few observe it. I tow a Dog Trailer with my HD and even 55 in the slow lane can be dangerous with all the faster moving traffic. Our Aussie has been over 27K miles in the trailer around the western US.

My question is trapper, do the cops observe the speed limit restriction haha. I don't mind pulling to Ontario and unhooking it for a few days at my friends house.. Then putting it back on when I leave. But I do not want to be worried about being pulled over for stupid shit... Like being in the wrong lane. I will already have my guns unloaded and locked up and don't want any grief from the chps

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My question is trapper, do the cops observe the speed limit restriction haha. I don't mind pulling to Ontario and unhooking it for a few days at my friends house.. Then putting it back on when I leave. But I do not want to be worried about being pulled over for stupid shit... Like being in the wrong lane. I will already have my guns unloaded and locked up and don't want any grief from the chps

As long as you're not in the #1 lane on the freeway (or #2 on a 4-5 lane) you should be good. I'm rarely much over 65, but solely due to hauling live cargo.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ingotcha. I pull about 80... Or with the flow of traffic. That's my issue

·
Registered
195 Posts
My only issue is when I ride out west. California has a stupid law about motorcycles pulling trailers are subject to a 55mph speed limit

To quote Ron White, having everyone going the same speed just doesn't make sense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts