StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a trailer hitch on a 650 v-strom either homemade or purchased? I would be intersted in photos or supplier.

Thanks!

H

·
0 Posts
650 Trailer Hitch

I am interested in a hitch for my 650 also. I have a Harbor Freight/Sears Cargo Trailer that weihs about 125 unloaded. Anyone see a problem pulling this with the Wee?

Thanks, Hoppy

·
Registered
186 Posts
I guess the trailer gods don't like the 650???????

how would you attach it anyway???attaching it to the slider threads in the swingarm?

H

·
0 Posts
p7m8jg said:
how would you attach it anyway???attaching it to the slider threads in the swingarm?

Beats me. I'm sure someone who was creative and good with a torch could figure that out....maybe. I was looking at the Wee the other day and I sure couldn't figure it out.
I'm hoping to get another bike like a Valkyrie for LD Touring some day down the road and I could pull my trailer with that.

Hoppy

·
Registered
172 Posts
Found a 650 hitch!

http://www.classicind.com.au

It's a bit pricey at $276.30 for gloss black & $395.89 for chrome... the part number is TS38. Please add another $115.47 for shipping to the US!

Hopefully someone else will start making one so I can tow my N-Line with my Wee-Strom. I'm too cheap to pay $391 for a hitch. :roll:

Cheers,
Bo

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
boroop, Looks like a very roomy trailer. Might be just the ticket for a long fun filled trip.

An aside: I think Australia is a spooky place, what with the didgeridoo sounds and all, but look at the photo of the bike and trailer. I don't see any tire tracks, but it DOES look like something crawled out of the water and just dumped them there! What was that? It must've been HUGE!

I'd love to tour Australia and maybe catch a glimpse of the thing.

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry, I came into this thread a little late.

The only input I will put into this question is:

DO NOT TOW ANYTHING WITH A V-STROM

I would refer you to the owner's manual. It wasn't made for towing, it isn't allowed by Suzuki, and there is no provision in the design for towing. Gold Wing is the only motorcycle I know of that is spec'ed by the maker to pull a trailer, and I don't even recommend doing that.

From experience I know that plenty of you are going to come back with "but I have been towing with my _____ for XXX years and never had a problem, etc etc etc." "It'll never happen to me." Or my all time favorite:"I'm pretty smart and I figured out how to put a trailer on safely"

I am a professional collision investigator, and I attend serious crashes on a daily basis. I've seen home built trailers, commercially built trailers, and even a old whiskey keg made into a motorcycle trailer.

By adding a trailer to a STROM you are creating a double-articulated vehicle, with at least 50% more weight in the back, and no brakes on the last axle. When the trailer weight shifts onto the rear bike wheel, bad things happen. Generally when a motorcycle tries to emergency stop while trailer towing, the vehicle tends to swap ends, the bike falls over, and people get hurt. That's when my phone rings.

Gentlemen, (and Stromette) Don't do it.

C

·
0 Posts
How much stuff does one really need? With the GIVI hard bags and trunk I am able to take everything I need for myself and wife on 3 night trips. Need more clothes--do laundry. It would be nice to have a trailer, but not necessary, in my opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
chartrand001 said:
With the GIVI hard bags and trunk I am able to take everything I need for myself and wife on 3 night trips.
Exactly... and when my wife and I rode around Lake Superior last summer (and a few other locations along the way)... we were gone for 10 days. I knew right then I was going to find a trailer for the touring bike.

Washing clothes happens after a vacation, never during. :lol:

I'll tow before stopping in a laundry mat.

B

·
0 Posts
I have seen a F650 pulling a trailer befor, during a BMW get together. The person riding the F was in the Chain Gang (www.f650.com) the "doc" I think he called him self.
He also was running a chain with some 60,000 miles on it lubing it ATF. Modded up the bike in some odd ways waaay too much oil and gunk to see it all.

If you can stand some teasing about the DL try there.

M

·
0 Posts
I've got a hitch on my DL1000.

Local Autobody guy built it, he welded it up where I asked him to weld. It has worked well for about 5000 miles of towing, mostly with a small chopper on the trailer. If you want to tow a bike with your 'Strom, I recommend a trailer with brakes. Stopping in the rain is a real adventure on this beast.

It mounts to the rear pegs and the two muffler mounts. I've looked at the 650, and could use those mounts, but I haven't looked under the bodywork to identify a support for the left side of the hitch.

Pictures available on request (although you can probably find them with Google) I think I can get another one built for about $250.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have to say you really need to learn how to pack a bike ,what to take and what NOT to take .It's a MOTORBIKE not a MOTORHOME.
Nearly 28 years ago my wife was packing what she thought she needed for a trip . I walked in when she had almost finished,I then removed about 70% of what she wanted to take . I took in one Krasuer bag and said " You Have 5 minutes, what fitts in goes what dosen't stays". She still reminds me today that I taught her how to pack and what to take ,this simple leason has made travelling easy .

M

·
0 Posts
I have to say you really need to learn how to pack a bike ,what to take and what NOT to take .It's a MOTORBIKE not a MOTORHOME.
Nearly 28 years ago my wife was packing what she thought she needed for a trip . I walked in when she had almost finished,I then removed about 70% of what she wanted to take . I took in one Krasuer bag and said " You Have 5 minutes, what fitts in goes what dosen't stays". She still reminds me today that I taught her how to pack and what to take ,this simple leason has made travelling easy .
+1 for packing light. Remember when you took what fit in your pockets on a ride?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts