StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my front TrailWing just touching the center wear bar, sides are still showing some life. Vendor made a hash of my tire order so I'm out of luck on getting my tires on for possibly two or more weeks. How much life do I have on the tire from where the wear bar is getting affected?

I'm not putting colossal miles on, but I'm trying to figure out whether I can keep truckin' for another few hundred miles (300ish) before getting the new tires mounted up, or should I just leave the bike in the garage and walk for my errands?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, time is short. I would check them at both ends of your ride since tires seem to really go once the bars show. Be careful.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front they sent is fine. I might just go and have the front brake work and front tire replacement done this weekend.

I was hoping to bundle it all into one big service, but that's not seeming likely right now. I guess I'll just get it dealt with, even if it means I've got to spend two mornings this month dealing with the mechanic.

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
You wear yours out in the center? Mine are always toasted on the sides.
Wear bars are a good indication of impending tire death. Seems like the last miles are always fewer than we'd like.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I usually change mine before they are on the wear bars as I want the best wet weather traction I can get. IMHO yours are worn out and need changing now. Having said that, I know several people around here who don't change until cord is showing.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I echo some of the above. Wear bar just showing....tires OK for dry riding, park it when it gets wet.

I switch mine out when I have 1/32 inch or so above the wear bars left.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
As long as you don't get caught in the rain (you obviously have minimal siping on the tread middle!), you should be just fine for tooling round for the next month or so, depending on how furiously you ride. Tire manufacturers would all be out of business if the tires suddenly became toxic as soon as the wear bars meet the tread surface. It's a guideline, not an absolute.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Buy now and schedule an appointment for having them changed. That's if you don't install yourself. My shop is backed up and getting in is tough.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was trying to get tires done along with EVERYTHING else on the 45k service. Sadly, the rear that was sent was the wrong type (Pilot Road 3 TRAIL versus standard, aggravating screw-up on the retailer's part). Turns out the front brakes which kind of need doing are just going to get done along with the front tire, which I have in hand.

The rear is getting a bit squared off (still shows a good amount of life on the center wear bar and loads on the sides), and is the wrong size, from the prior owner, so I'm going to put new rubber on when I get it.

That's getting done for the 45k service, along with the chain, sprockets, cush drive (play probably caused a quick death to the chain), valves, throttle sync, coolant/plugs blah blah blah.

The front has no wear bar that I can see in the very center [EDIT: it's not that it's worn OFF, it's that I can't find one at the very middle of the tire... maybe too dimwitted, maybe it ain't in the mold), just one off center left, one way off center right. The off center left bar is definitely touching the asphalt and I don't know how much of it has worn off, though it looks like it just got there.

Not crazy about the Trail Wings from what I can tell and feel, looking forward to having the pilots installed and having the stickiest tires I can get on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts