StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went for a nice ride yesterday with a buddy. The route was from my house S of Denver to Estes Park, across Trail Ridge Road in RMNP to Grand Lake, then back down to I70 and home. Around 260 miles total. Sorry, I didn't take a lot of pictures, but here are a few:

Elk:

Bull elk and my Wee

Another of the elk and mountains:

I only had a point and shoot digital so I didn't take many pics. We also saw three moose on the west side of the Continental Divide, but the pics didn't turn out too well...the pictures show the moose as small, brown specks, or just the butt end while they were heading for the woods. This was the first time I've seen moose in Colorado...kinda thought it was a myth!

Trail Ridge Road is all pavement, and peaks out at just over 12000'. Traffic really wasn't too bad, unless you get caught behind something diesel, and there are buses (!) that make the trip. But there are pullouts if you want/need to stop. Near the top, there is a rest area/gift shop. Parking was tight, but we found a space to share after three loops around the lot. If you can go up there at night, the Milky Way is supposedly very visible due to the reduced light pollution...I may have to check that out on my next trip up there. Oh, and admission to the park is good for a week, bikes are $10, so if you're sticking around the area, keep your receipt.

One really interesting thing about the road is the varied topography. The trip starts out in these wide valleys and aspen trees, then changes to pine trees, and finally, tundra once above treeline. The temperature at the top was probably 25-30 degrees cooler than in Estes Park, and windy. With the Wee acting like a sail, there were a few spots where I held on a little tighter than usual! Nothing like no guardrails to keep you focused...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Beautiful pics. I had the opportunity of riding "Peak to Peak" near Estes Park - a few yrs ago--truly, a ride to remember. I didn't realize elk where so plentiful. Being a "flatlander"--the mtns remain very special.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts