StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a ride the last of July that includes Lolo Motorway and the McGruder Corridor. I was wondering if anyone has researched or has traveled these this year. I know the snow has been heavy but not sure when they will clear out. Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
On our way to the West Rally, we are heading over Lolo in about 10 days. We'll post a report. From everything I've read this year -- no problems.

More after we cross over.

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Bruce - He's talking about the Lolo Motorway, not Lolo Pass. It's a dirt route.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Don. That is correct. I am looking at the dirt route. On another note, I would like to do the route you tried earlier this year when you had the flat. Chinook/Naches/Wineas Lake?/ Ellensburg. If you would like to do it again, I would like to tag along. I am free next week.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bruce - He's talking about the Lolo Motorway, not Lolo Pass. It's a dirt route.
What! Don, I thought we are riding the dirt through there... :yesnod: Just kidding! Sad -- I grew up in Orofino (just up the road) and did not recognize the name diff!

Ride safe, lockguy. Since I'm pretty sure that we will be riding Hwy 12 (Lolo Pass) for our "West Rally Run" next week -- we will try to give you some general impressions of the area and the snow depth.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you guys have a good ride/rally. If I had been watching the rally thread, I might have been game for this ride. I talked to the Idaho Forrest service this morning and the guy said both McGruder and Lolo were still blocked with snow. I am hoping it will clear in a couple of weeks. It sounds like Capt Ed has plenty other roads for you to ride anyway. Have fun!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
motorway and mcgruder

I've done these a couple of times, not sure if snow will be a problem as there is a very large snow pack this year, also there may be some wash outs. I would advise checking ADV in the local section AND calling the red river rangers station for more info on Mcgruder. Looks like I'll be heading that way possibly last weekend in July 1rst of aug.
look up "LoLo motorway on the usfs website for more info. as for the road it's pretty good over all 1 lane in places watch for atv's, suv, and such. Some rocky sections that you will have to pic your line through but not that bad if you've taken your strom in the dirt before. there is no potable water on the trail, you'll have to carry or filter runoff if available.
It's a great run, we try and loop them through and alternate direction.
Gas- If entering LoLo on the westside top off our tank and have a meal in Weippe, Id. you will have plenty of fuel. If coming from the eastside, head a mile or so west past the turn off to the "fs500" road (LoLo motorway) and fill up at the Lochsa lodge and check out the digs. Welcome to the Lochsa Lodge great place to get a good meal too. as for the Mcgruder from the east fill at Darby or I believe there might be a station just south of there just before you turn and head east toward the trail. but don't quote me on that one. you should have plenty of gas to make it to Elk city, Id. which is also your fill point coming from the westside. Happy Trails!

·
Registered
498 Posts
. I talked to the Idaho Forrest service this morning and the guy said both McGruder and Lolo were still blocked with snow. I am hoping it will clear in a couple of weeks.
Guess I should read ALL the posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts