StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there....

I have a 2011 650 Wee that I really like. I've got many of the nice farkles. (OEM hard bags, Madstad, fork brace, over-sized Suzuki shield, SW Motech skid plate and engine guards, etc) A guy wants to trade me his low mileage 2010 Honda VFR 1200F. (DCT, cruise control, x-screen on windshield, framesliders) I would kick in some cash, but it is a good deal. (under $2000)

I like sport bikes like the VFR and am comfortable with the slight crouch of this model. (used to own a Blackbird) And though I like the bike....I like my current ride. Probably more practical, but less thrill.

Anyone out there made this kind of move? Any insights to share?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I owned a 1999 VFR for a short while, but gave up on it due to my arms going numb from the seating position. But other than the thrill of being able to go fast, the VFR is eclipsed, IMO, by the Wee in terms of overall sheer fun of riding and versatility. Whle the sport bike was fun for doing what sport bikes do, the Wee is just more fun to ride. Besides, you really can't take the VFR down that gravel road you always wondered where it went.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Like Pilot said, the Wee is more versatile as far as riding goes. I sold my SV1000S prior to getting my 2008 Wee simply because it did only one thing really well........go fast!! The Wee can do many things well......and broaden my riding.....long distance, off-road, comfort, etc.
I still have my 2000 ZRX1100 for when I need an adrenaline rush........:biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
All comes down to how much you like the VFR. I wouldn't even consider it, in my view the VFR is way too big and heavy to be any sort of sport bike, and there are other sport tourers that I like a lot better.
Plus it's ugly as hell. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Of course he wants to trade you for your nicely done up Wee. Must be a PITA backing that thing out of parking spaces - I bet he's sick of manhandling it. Have you checked the weight on that 2010 VFR 1200........it's HEAVY. Big heavy sport tour bikes like that are not very handy in everyday use - you won't be popping up to the local pub if it means getting THE WHALE out of it's berth (one could argue that the Wee is on the big side too). And, that DCT is a dealbreaker. Might as well get a Honda Spree. Perhaps you should ride the thing before even considering a deal.....I think you'll keep your Wee...

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
That VFR 1200 was a total turd for Honda, hence why the new VFR is a much updated and improved 800. ;) I would consider a 1200 as a second or 3rd bike, but no way in hell as a primary machine. You are giving up allot of range and mileage as well, smaller tank and worse mileage....plus it won't be nearly as fun on gravel. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Yeah - from what the moto rags say, the 2011-present VFR's got remapped engines, recalibrated DCT, bigger fuel tank, etc.....the first year model is cursed with first year model issues.....

I'm sure it's a fun bike to ride - and if it magically appeared in my garage, I'd be stoked, but I'd never spend my money on one. It's certainly a finer sip of brandy, but the Weestrom will get you drunker'er.....

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I'd say you need to go have a look and test ride if you can.
A lot of people are kind of weenie when it comes to a heavier bike and you need to know how you feel about it.
I will tell you that around here at least the VFR1200 has not sold well so that is something to bear in mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It hasn't sold well as many are not sure where it fits. It's too heavy to be a sport bike at close to 600 lbs. That's actually light compared to my last bike, a ST1300. It has too small a tank at less than 5 gal to be a sport tourer. Sweet and fast motor, though. Since I came off a ST1300, I kind of came the other way from going from a DL to the VFR1200. YMMV

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
If memory serves

The control software on the DCT was a bit "immature". According to some reviews, it got a bit confused when cruising around at low speeds, and would drop into neutral if it thought you were stopping. Which could be inconvenient if you were trying to execute a slow-speed u-turn, and found yourself with no drive. At least some of the reviews suggested this bike was more of a test bike for bits and concepts for future bikes, and though buyers should wait until those bikes appeared.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The VFR1200 is small to me, too small as a touring machine compared to say a FJR1300. Its a fast express bike with shaft drive and very little luggage carrying ability. It would be good for weekend rides IMO.

When I park next to one, my Vee looks large in comparison. Its not a big bike like a C14, FJR13, ST13 etc. I rather have a new FJR, that way you have room for a passenger, electric shield, cruise, heated grips, stock hard bags etc. The weight is no big deal, I rode my 07 FJR daily for years as a work ride. The top heavy feel goes away once you open the throttle. You learn to drag the rear brake and feather the clutch at parking lot speeds. I never dropped mine on pavement, I did have my foot slip on wet grass though. Had the wind blow it over while camping on grass, no damage. Overall I still like my V-Strom better. Ride what makes you smile.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As a rule, I am a fan of Honda's VFR's. That said, the 2010 VFR 1200 *IS NOT* the best looking bike Honda has ever made. I think I'd look elsewhere (FJR1300?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts