StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the Triumph XC800?

I'm thinking of trading my 09 Wee on a low k's XC.

Do the XC's have any known issues?

It seems they have better ground clearance and may be better on the dirt with the 21" front wheel while still blasting along the highways covering long distance.

I love my Strom, just needs to be a bit higher and handle dirt a bit better. :fineprint:

And the old KLR650 looks like it is going to be a basket case, needs $1k+ just to put it back on the road. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Any opinions on the Triumph XC800?

I'm thinking of trading my 09 Wee on a low k's XC.

Do the XC's have any known issues?

It seems they have better ground clearance and may be better on the dirt with the 21" front wheel while still blasting along the highways covering long distance.

I love my Strom, just needs to be a bit higher and handle dirt a bit better. :fineprint:

And the old KLR650 looks like it is going to be a basket case, needs $1k+ just to put it back on the road. :headbang:
The Triumph 800XC forum will sing it's praises Ock,not much change out of $18k new and they are relatively new--you may have to turn orange!-egad.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Triumph 800XC forum will sing it's praises Ock,not much change out of $18k new and they are relatively new--you may have to turn orange!-egad.
Found one that I'm going to take for a spin during the week when I'm on a split shift- no dirt near by but there are some really good twisties I can test it on. :yesnod:

Just looked at a vid where they are doing river crossings with water over the top of the front mudguard in Southern NSW and they didn't drown :jawdrop:

Not much orange on it, I'm sure I can spray it black- or white, with a pressure pack can. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a T800 roadie. Not the XC but close so hopefully I can give you some info.
The engine - ****ing wow is what I'll say. The tripple sounds sweet, it pops on over run which some hate and did a lot to get rid of, me I loved it. Power delivery is linier and pretty easy to live with. When the coolant fan kicks in, it blast hot air at your right foot and it's damb hot. There are a few solutions out there but all I did was lower the fan cut in temp by about 5 degrees and it didn't seem tooooo bad after that. Still know it's there but not as quite as bad.
The gearbox - nice and slick to use. IMO too tall in first and too short in top. Close ratio that you have to row thru pretty quickly once underway but it gets that engine to sing when you're getting on it.
Ergo - I found it pretty good for me. although I would have looked into bar risers if I had of kept the bike
Brakes - far better in standard form than either of the stroms. Put sintered pads on a strom and you get close to the T800. Can't comment on ABS as I had the non abs version.
Servicing - pretty simple and straight forwards. You must use semi or full syn oil. Air box takes a bit to get to (bout maybe 15 mins or so). Some things need the laptop to do (look up tuneecu and dealertool) TB sync can be done without gauges as the ECU tells you what you need to know but getting at the screws can take a bit.
Underseat storage - way smaller than the strom but if you cut out the U lock moldings it helps a fair bit.

Other things I liked/disliked
Clock - thought it was a bit small and being in the topright corner sometimes hard to read
Canbus - Between ECU and gauges so be careful if doing wiring changes/additions
Power outlets - Live all the time, would have been better to have the one near the ign switch go on/off with the key I reckon
Toolkit - ****ing useless and crap tools IMO
Screen - way less buffeting than strom in standard spec IMO.

If I think of anything else to add I'll add it on.

There have been a couple of recalls that I know of so check on those being done if you buy one

All in all if I had of been able to sort the suspension probs I had with the bike, I reckon I'd still have it. Having said that I like both our stroms jsut as much

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I test rode one on the road and dirt when they came out. It's a bike that is still on my possible Strom replacement list.
The motor is very linear a bit like the '12 model Wee but smoooooth as! Way better than the F800 series BMW.
It's more trail bike oriented in it's feel and layout and you tend to sit on top of it rather than in it like the Strom.
The handlebars are wide, very wide.
I liked the seat.
The front screen has way less protection than the Strom I was getting hit mid to high chest area with wind but it's very clean. Again much like riding a trail bike or say a DR with a small screen.
It's a smaller tank and from memory premium fuel with less range than the Strom.
I had no issues with the 21" front wheel on the road the bike is very flickable and the dirt I rode really didn't tell me much other than what I knew which is a 21" rim is better over braking ruts than a 19" one. Obviously your choice of road biased tyres is less than the Strom but I guess the upshot is that there are more knobbies.
I tried a crash stop straight ahead on the road and it stops better then a Strom again with no issues from the front wheel (but I was going straight ahead).
I did hear some whispers of some FI issues but I never followed up on them to check their veracity.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Love that 800 motor, love the ergo, love the clearance, love the sophistication without complication (relatively) -

A very possible Wee replacement for me too when the time comes - Although given how long a wee engine last and i am only on 60,000km after 3.5years, this may take a while.

My BIGGEST worry is that the longevity & reliability of Triumph is still open to debate. I expect my motorbike these days to last well over 150,000km with basic servicing and minimal repairs.

Time will tell i suppose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts