StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a guy that is interested in trading my strom for his versys. I keep going back and forth. I love my strom, but I've read some really good things about the versys as well. In general, the strom seems to be a better touring bike and the versys seems to be a better sport bike. Also, the strom has more offroad capability. I'm trying to think through the advantages and disadvantages of each. Below is what I've come up with.

Vibration: Advantage strom. I've read that the versys has some vibration but it doesn't sound to bad.
Comfort: Advantage strom or toss up. I find the strom with the gel seat super comfy. But, this versys has a corbin so I expect it to be pretty nice as well.
Luggage capacity: Normally this would go to the strom, but the versys has better luggage installed. Avantage versys in this case.
Handling: Advantage Versys. This is the main reason I'm considering the versys.
Looks: Slight advantage Versys. I don't like the headlight but otherwise the versys looks better.
Tires: Draw. The versys has a 17 inch front wheel which has better sport touring rubber but not as many dual sport tires.
Passenger Comfort: I've read the strom is better but I don't know why.
Build quality: I've read about loose plastic vibrating on the versys. That's not to cool.
Reliability: Not much is more reliable than a strom. But, the versys has 3 years left on an extended factory warranty. I haven't read about people 100k+ on a versys like I have the strom. We'll call it a draw in this case because of the warranty.
Re-sale: Stroms seem to hold their value better. But, the versys is 2 years newer. Mileage is the same. Call it a draw again because the versys is newer.

I love my strom. It fits me and I think I could be crazy to get rid of it. On the other hand, I don't have time to take long trips. Most of my riding is commuting and local rides. The versys could be more fun in that situation. Of course, the dual sport tires on the strom are handy for those gravel patches on our roads. I keep going back and forth. I know this a strom forum. But, most people are honest about the strengths and weaknesses of our bikes. Anybody have any input that could help me decide?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The Versys is a newer design but lacks the aftermarket support and widespread fanaticism of the Wee. I think they are both great bikes and you couldnt go too far wrong with either.

Speaking for myself, If I had to replace the Wee (07 DL650A) the Versys would be a solid contender.:beatnik: Why? Well, because they are really pretty similar...

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I don't think that there is much difference in handling. The little bit the Strom may give to the Versys on the slab is gotten back several fold on the gravel. The Strom offers much better wind protection. The Strom is more comfortable on a long ride. The Versys is more sporty looking than the Strom. If you do the trade, the other guy should be a happy camper and I bet with in a short time you will miss that Strom. I had a friend with a Versys and there wasn't any real difference when we rode on the pavement. He sold his Versys after a year or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe you could work out a temporary trade with the guy to see how you both liked the bikes. Make it contingent on your both being happy with the arrangement and have a no-hard-feeling clause if either of you had second thoughts. Me: based on everything I've read, I'd stick with the Strom.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maybe you could work out a temporary trade with the guy to see how you both liked the bikes. Make it contingent on your both being happy with the arrangement and have a no-hard-feeling clause if either of you had second thoughts.
I like this temporary trade approach, if it's possible. It doesn't really sound as if you're totally sold on the change and this gives the option of keeping the Strom if it doesn't work out.

For your stated purposes -- commuting and day rides -- the Versys will be a more "fun bike" because of its shorter wheelbase and 17" front wheel. It will handle better in the short, tight twisty stuff. I would be concerned about the vibration, particularly if your expected riding includes consistently running in the 70+ speed range and particularly if it's a first year Versys. Kawa made some changes that reduced vibration on the following year's bikes (they said so in their marketing literature).

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Strom does not equal Versys. SV650 = Versys. Except that Suzuki sold a hell of a lot more of them. I've never even seen a Versys. I suspect he would be very happy to trade with you because he will have trouble getting rid of it.

After owning a KLR I will never even set foot in a Kawasaki dealer, for any reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my new VStrom yesterday. I did look at the Versys having owned multiple Kawis before and was seriously considering it. In the end I went the route of the VStrom for a multitude of reasons but one was getting on and off the Versys was much more difficult for me than the Vstrom. I am 5'9 and the angle of the seat on the Kawi caused me more issues than I wanted to deal with. The bike gets awesome reviews however as well and has some zip. Def can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
"I love my strom... I love my strom..."

Then why replace it? because of 'handling'?

Heck I love my wife too, but would not replace her just because I met someone that has better 'handling' and is 'younger by two years'...?!? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is just a quick note from my expeience, I have none with the Versys but with two different Wees. My wife has a K9 and I have a K8. I needed to lower her bike 3/4". Lowering links on the back and raised the front forks equal amount. Her bike handles the curves and twists much better than mine. Minimum cost for max change in tight road handling. Both bikes still good for long distance also. Before I got my K8 I had a Buell Uly that had left me stranded x3 so I would take her Wee on two of my ten day rides with friends and needed to go on the superslab to get to Vermont and also WVa.etc. Her bike handled very well in the mt.s and also on the hiways. Just something to consider if your concern is only as you stated in your opening post.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I love my strom. It fits me and I think I could be crazy to get rid of it. On the other hand, I don't have time to take long trips. Most of my riding is commuting and local rides. The versys could be more fun in that situation. Of course, the dual sport tires on the strom are handy for those gravel patches on our roads. I keep going back and forth. I know this a strom forum. But, most people are honest about the strengths and weaknesses of our bikes. Anybody have any input that could help me decide?
You list more reasons why you love your Strom than reasons you don't want to keep it.

Can you out ride the Strom's handling ability? [in other words would you be able to ride the tight stuff faster on the Versys or would you do it just as quick on the Strom?].

Mods to improve the Strom's handling are cheap and easy, fork brace- drop the front by lifting the forks in the triple trees, and you still get to keep the better dirt ability.

Luggage upgrades are easy enough to do on the Strom, plenty of options out there.

Like you; I commute, do day rides and long trips loaded to the gills, including some dirt roads.

I have owned about 15 bikes, the Wee is the first bike I have said I would go straight back out and buy another one exactly the same if something happened to this one.

My "next" bike will be a Can-Am Spyder, and that will only be when I can't hold up a Wee any more [although I might add a touring optioned one alongside the Wee if it will get the Mrs. out on the bike more- need to win lotto first though].

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the swapping idea is the best if you and the other party agree to the terms. My wife and I swap on occasion and it works out great. We both get to ride something new and exciting but get to return to something that we are both comfortable with. I really like my wife's 2010 Versys. It is light, quick in the turns and very fun to ride. In turn she likes the power and wind protection of my Vee. A quick ride on something new just makes you appreciate how good what you already have is. So I suggest swapping if you get the chance. I'm sure you will enjoy the Versys. I do, but I like my Strom better!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
If you're not dragging the Stroms pegs then handling should not be a factor - it handles better than you can ride, even with stock tires and suspension.

Bill

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
I've ridden two Versys. For pure road use, the Versys is great but the 17" tires limit knobbie selection. I found the engine punchy in the low to mid range with an eagerness to rev and power wheelies (no clutch) in first and sometimes second gear make this a sporty ride. In contrast, the Wee rarely accomplishes power wheelies even in first (no clutching) unless there is a bump. Negatives: brakes are soft, no real top end to the powerband (Wee is better there), vibrations in the pegs, a touch less legroom. The newer black Versys with the improved headlight is nice looking, whereas the original headlight has never grown on me. The Wee's looks, in contrast, have grown on me over time. In summary, as a comfortable road going, light sport-tourer the Versys has a lot going for it, but it may be less versatile than the Wee. If you know you aren't going for knobbies, then I say try the Versys while you have an easy deal in front of you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I looked at the Versys when I replaced my Ninja 650r. I really liked the look of it. I took one for a 70km test ride. The best advice I can give you is make sure you ride the Versys at freeway speeds (100km and up) before you make a decision. I absolutely loved the Versys around town, feels a lot more punchy due to motor and gearing. BUT, as soon as I got to the freeway and did 100km +, I hated it. The vibration was terrible. It did surprise me because it is the same motor as in the 650r. Needless to say I bought the Wee, even though it feels a little more sluggish. Having said that, I am yet to be convinced the Wee is any slower than the 650r when you "give it some".

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the swapping idea is the best if you and the other party agree to the terms. My wife and I swap on occasion and it works out great. We both get to ride something new and exciting but get to return to something that we are both comfortable with.
Wow, I think this statement deserves it's own thread in off-topic. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Funny, I have toyed with the same dilemma myself, even as recent as NOW...haha

I actually purchased my Wee, 2 seasons ago, based solely on riding a bud's Versys one day....put my ZRX on the market that evening, and it was gone the next day by noon.

Just to be clear, I'm a pavement kinda guy.....have no interest in taking the Strom off-road, and most of my riding buds are sportbike guys.

Simply put, the Versys, on pavement, in the twisties, is a better performing bike, and for me, more fun.

My Wee had upgraded rubber, heavier springs, a fork brace, and the SV brake upgrade, and I could easily ride the Versys faster in the twisties still.

The motor does have more punch where it's fun, and being able to roll on, and wheelie in 1st was a bonus......short wheelbase helps big time.

That 17" front tire also really helps in the handling department....again, for pavement pleasure only.

My biggest complaint, the seat, it sucks, but hey, so does the Wee stocker, so I accept this as a standard required upgraded (for me), on all bikes.

I also missed the legroom, my knees were a fair bit more bent on the Versys.

I understand they have a peg lowering mod, so I expect this would help a lot, at the slight expense of clearance.

I guess it really depends on the riding you do...if you really like to tour a bit, then I think, the Wee is the better choice for ultimate comfort, wind protection, and general highway use.

If you like to mostly day ride, and have a mini-inner-hooligan, enjoy the tight twisties, then the Versys will probably reward you with a few more smiles.

Every bike is a compromise, so accept that. Then put it aside, and chose one that puts the most smiles on your face. When you decide it's time for a change, just do it, try the next one....bikes for many of us, are toys, and like when I was a kid, my toy choices changed constantly, accept it, embrace it, and play! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in NW Ohio, if you don't want the Versys, tell the guy I'd trade my 07 Vee, with 2500 miles. I love trading bikes, tho' this would be the first time I traded twice in 1 year, lol

seriously, if the price is right, I'll trade anything, at anytime, and I had considered a Versys the last few years. I've had a Vee before, so no big deal.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts