StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 2014 strom 1000 and im wondering if the traction control can be shut off so i can weely the bike with no interfearance. I know its not legal and i wont be weelying through the local school yard. Just wondering if its possable on the bike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes it can be shut off. ABS cannot be however.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
ABS can be defeated by pulling a fuse, installing a switch or getting the wheels to move at different speeds for a while by spinning the rear in loose dirt, on a center stand or, interestingly enough, wheelieing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't recommend doing it until after the warrantee is up, but adding a switch to turn off the ABS is pretty easy. You can switch it off on the fly and when you turn it back on it comes back in about 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't recommend doing it until after the warrantee is up, but adding a switch to turn off the ABS is pretty easy. You can switch it off on the fly and when you turn it back on it comes back in about 5 seconds.
Not on the 650's. Both gen 1 and gen 2 require the bike to be turned off and re-started after flipping the ABS cut off switch back to "on". Are the DL1000's or gen 3's different?

·
38,103 Posts
You're switching the wrong wire. Another wire in the ABS system allows on the fly switching. Proper ABS on/off switch

See post #39 for Gen 2.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Interesting, I used the EB kit and didn't realize there were two matching plugs. I'll take another look next time the tupperware is off...valve check is already overdue at 17K and change.

·
38,103 Posts
The EB kit won't work to restore ABS on the fly. A different wire has to be cut and each side of the cut ends extended to a switch. It isn't plug and play.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not on the 650's. Both gen 1 and gen 2 require the bike to be turned off and re-started after flipping the ABS cut off switch back to "on". Are the DL1000's or gen 3's different?
you don't have to re-start the vee2 when using a switched abs, or pulling the fuse. But, obviously, using the center stand method would require a re-start.
I think the fuse to switch (or pull) is 25A, so a robust switch/wiring is required.
Note that if using the center stand method, it does take several seconds and a little speed for abs to deactivate. Also, you have to "activate" abs before you can deactivate this way. When you first start the bike, you will notice the TC and ABS lights are on (deactivated). The bike has to move to reach a certain speed (only 2-3 mph i believe) before those lights go off and abs/tc are activated. Only then can you put her up on the c-stand to deactivate. Once on the c-stand, make sure your side-stand is up, then just flip it in 2nd and give slight throttle for a few seconds till you see the abs light come on. It's just too bad there isn't a way to shut the rear off only.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are three power wires for the ABS: 25 amp Motor power, 15 amp Valve power and switched +12V. If you cut off the +12V switched it's just like turning the bike off as far as the ABS is concerned. When you restore the +12V its just like turning the bike on and the ABS will come back in 5 seconds after the it reboots. In the 2014+ V2 it's the yellow/white wire. You can access it pretty easily at a connector just below the tail frame tube on the right side. I posted a step-by-step with photos here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/367378-abs-off-switch-switched-12v.html.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The EB kit won't work to restore ABS on the fly. A different wire has to be cut and each side of the cut ends extended to a switch. It isn't plug and play.
Ahhh, ok thanks GW!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts