StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I think with appropriate tires and carefully setup suspension it will hold its own in the corners..out brake 'em going in..use the torque to get out early..I can keep up to a 600 sportbike if the rider isn't that skilled..

·
Registered
528 Posts
No track for me, but I actually find the V2 more flickable than the wee2. I agree about having appropriate tires for the track - though the stock battle wings do have decent grip on the street. Yea, its got great torque, but flattens a little earlier than I expected.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just did a track day but it was my first so no great advice to give. I did not see the limits of my Tourance Next front and rear and wore them to the edges. As In, no, I do not need any dipping sauce for my chicken stripps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you mean by "hold its own"? If you are a skilled rider, then you will likely be able to pass unskilled riders on sportbikes. If not, a skilled rider on a sportbike will leave you for dead.

Track days have nothing to do with the bike - they are all about the rider.

I was once at a track day where I saw a guy on a Suzuki Burgman pass a guy on a Hayabusa, in a corner, on the outside! Dude on the 'busa wadded it up that day, while the guy on the Burgman had a great day.

It's not about the tool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree 100% not the tool. My track bike is a sv650s. I'm not a pro track rider, just was curious if anyone has put some track time on the v2. By the numbers, with an arrow header, exhaust, tune, I'm thinking it would be competitive to a buell xb12r/ equal rider.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My '07 is quite capable on the track and did pretty well even on Metzlers. The rear would step out occasionally in turns under acceleration, but it was predictable. That said, a Vee is no competition for a SS bike if rider skill is equal. SS bikes are lighter, can carry more corner speed, have more top end, and have better brakes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The 19" front wheel is somewhat of a hindrance when choosing track tires. Designated track tires are one of the most important element of any bike on the track.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I did one track day on my V2. I was in the Beginner/Level 1 Class,which is exactly where I belonged, and rode only with those in that category. Great fun but I was severely hampered by the peg-lowering kit. Kind of obvious and I should have taken the time to return it to stock for that one day. The peg feelers and some of the brake pedal are ground away and I lost positions on the track to those who could lean more. That said, I was probably in mid-pack on the long straight (speedo showed 125mph). Guys on R1s, Ninjas, and other sport-oriented bikes would pass me and I passed others that either had slower bikes or didn't come of out the preceding corner fast enough. I caught many of the fast-bike riders going into corners when they would brake too early. No doubt related to our inexperience. Anyway, I learned a lot about my limitations/areas for improvement and from watching others, especially the Level 2 and 3 guys. Riding fast in a "safe" environment is an outlet that has made me more responsible on the street. I'll do it again but with more clearance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 19" front wheel is somewhat of a hindrance when choosing track tires. Designated track tires are one of the most important element of any bike on the track.
I'm working on a remedy for this on my 1K :wink2:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Rick of Anderson Island: Were you at "The Ridge" in Shelton? That's about the same front straight stretch speed I was getting there. Similar experience to yours in the 1st level group. Fun, but couldn't touch the level 2 or 3 guys. I had the peg lowering kit on too, plus my bike is lowered, so I was grinding my way around the corners too. We did have a great time. Not sure I'd go to level two next time either. I now have a TRE so top speed should be up some next time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think track time is a good thing. Taking the DL1000 to the tack would be great......in the beginner group. The Strom will get smoked by any decent SS and will clog up the intermediate group. Unless you are one talented rider and then you will be punishing the front tire beyond its limits.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What do you mean by "hold its own"? If you are a skilled rider, then you will likely be able to pass unskilled riders on sportbikes. If not, a skilled rider on a sportbike will leave you for dead.

Track days have nothing to do with the bike - they are all about the rider.

I was once at a track day where I saw a guy on a Suzuki Burgman pass a guy on a Hayabusa, in a corner, on the outside! Dude on the 'busa wadded it up that day, while the guy on the Burgman had a great day.

It's not about the tool.
Could not agree more. When I had my CBR 954RR me and a buddy headed up to enjoy some WI back roads for a day. In the turns I could not keep up with him on his CBR 600RR :confused: The 954 was clearly a faster bike, but I was not as fast of a rider. He had a lot of track time in on the bike and it showed.
He was not afraid of things that could be lurking in the next turn such as a gravel, deer/dog in the road, 2 trucks stopped chatting, tree limbs etc. He was not afraid of pushing the envelope.
I understand you don't have those concerns on the track, but the envelope is still there and it's up to each rider how far they're willing to push it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
OK guys give me your honest opinion. Should I try a track day? More info on me:

I'll be 52 in April. I have been on Summit Point for Friday at the Track days in my Vette, but have never done a motorcycle track day. I have been riding on the street for well over 30 years, and have ramped up my miles in the last few years (about 10K per year). I consider my skill level as moderate. I'd like to improve my riding skills, and I have no interest in breaking any speed records...

I'm old and slow, and I have four bikes (Kawi Vulcan, DR650, XR600 & 14 V-Strom) so I think the only appropriate bike would be the Strom. Is there some track/training event I should consider?

·
Registered
525 Posts
i was told by a guy that rides a gs1200 that track days was the best thing he did for his on road skills.
he started in the beginners and got up to the intermediate group as the bike couldn't hang with the advanced riders.
but he said he learned what his bike is capable of.
he told me to do the following for street riding

take LEE PARK'S TOTAL CONTROL L1(excellent course)
then a few track days
then lee park's L2
then more track days

i did the first thing(had some injuries since that never let me continue (hopefully this year ).

Reactions: Bville-Bud

·
Registered
630 Posts

I'll be 52 in April. I have been on Summit Point for Friday at the Track days in my Vette, but have never done a motorcycle track day. I have been riding on the street for well over 30 years, and have ramped up my miles in the last few years (about 10K per year). I consider my skill level as moderate. I'd like to improve my riding skills, and I have no interest in breaking any speed records...

I'm old and slow, and I have four bikes (Kawi Vulcan, DR650, XR600 & 14 V-Strom) so I think the only appropriate bike would be the Strom. Is there some track/training event I should consider?
Doing track days coupled with professional instruction like the type Mike Sullivan runs up in Washington state was the single best investment I ever made in my entire riding career. Beats any upgrade, any piece of gear, and any performance mod hands down. Multiplied my enjoyment, skill and confidence exponentially. It's not about necessarily being fast...it's about being smooth and confident in cornering. Speed comes a by-product if you want it. Do IT! You'll have a blast at the very least!

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts

If you're near New England, I highly recommend this "non-sportbike track day" with Tony's Track Days:
Non Sportbike Track Days
It originally was formed to give "regular riders" a chance to ride the track, but now a lot of guys on the New England Riders group are regularly doing these days.

I have a CBR I regularly do track days with. In 2014 I did a non-sportbike day with my dad (age 57), it was a birthday gift to him. He was on his V-Star 650, and I rode my DR350 with Shinko 705's. We both had an absolute blast. There was guys there riding cruisers, ADV bikes, and sport-tourers who had been riding for 20/30/40+ years, and it was awesome to see them learning new things.

Track days aren't about "trying to hang with" faster bikes or "outbreak em going in". That's racing. Track days are about learning how to improve your riding in controlled environments. You're grouped into slow/medium/fast, but that's not an indicator of experience or talent, it's to keep everyone on track at about the same pace, to reduce the possibilities of crashing due to differences in speed.

Do it, you wont regret it.

Do it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I was 70 years old when I did it and smoked my son-in-law. There's no age limit if you are in decent health. It is tiring, though, when you are pushing your individual envelope. I think we had something like seven, 12 minute sessions and that was plenty! Like others have said, it's not a race. It's about learning your bike and your limits in a safer environment. (Not that I didn't enjoy smoking my son)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts