1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anybody can help me adjust my TPS
In Melbourne fl area because I'm having problems with
my 2002 dl1000 dying at red light and back firing I think
that is the problem any other ideas let me know thanks.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Sorry, I'm in Indianapolis or I'd be glad to help in person!

Anyway, it's quite possible that you need to replace your TPS. They tend to wear out and start causing stalling at around 50,000 - 60,000 miles, sometimes sooner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You probably do have a failing TPS- due to heat failure. However, to adjust you need a paper clip, T-25 Security Torx Bit, glove for hand to adjust and time and patients.

First, you need to warm up your bike to full temp. Then, remove seat and black plastic trim pc. right under seat on left side of bike. This piece takes a number 4 allen, only one screw and then pop it off. Lube the rubber grommets while its off to make it easier to re-install. Then, look on the left side of the bike (With bike off and ignition off), along the tail section and you will see two service plug connectors. Grad the smaller one with the rubber cover and take the cover off. There is only two metal connections inside this plug. Use the paper clip made into a U-shape two jump the two leads. This puts you into dealer mode. Now start tyhe bike and look at the odometer. It should show a center bar -COO at idle. Then, slowly rev the motor and wait until the -bar moves up like this -coo. YOu want the TPS somewhere around 1800-2200 when the upper bar appears. It takes two seconds for the bar to go back center after a rev so take your time. Now, to adjust your TPS, look by the air vent on the left side fairing. At the Bottom of the Front Throttle BOdy is the TPS. You need an extension on the TOrx to break them loose. I take an d loosen them, then barly snug back up so it doesn't move to easy or while the bike is running. There is a large hose in the wway of the upper screw. You'll see it when you push up on the hose. VERY VERY small adjustments/movements of the TPS show big changes on the dash, so go easy. Its trial and error from this point on. Adjust, check dash, rev, ect. Go to VSRI.COM and look for more info- its where I learned from.. Good luck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the instructions I'm going to attempt to do this today I just had a couple questions I don't know what coo is and does it display where the temp gage is and is the 1800-2200 where I adjust the tps to or does that read before I adjust and how do I know when it is right. If the tps is not good can it be adjusted or do I have to replace it and is there 2 tps or one and can I mess it up or will I be fine. I just bought this bike 2 Mountbatten ago and it was running fine now it's dying and backfiring I don't get it it only has 15500 miles on it. Any ideas???
Thanks so much for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you checked the Throttle Body Boots? http://www.vstrom.info/Movies/TPS_TB_Tuning.mpg try watching this video. If I posted the link correctly. You don't have to pull the tank for the TPS adjustment though. The COO shows up on I believe the odometer once the bike is in dealer mode. Its an easy adjustment to make. It won't fix your TPS if its by by adjusting it. If I had to guess I would say that if the bike ran fine a while back but doesn't all of the sudden then its either a bad TPS of some other driveability issue. VSRI.COM is loaded with good info for trying to figure out your problem and how to fix it. This site is good too- try the search window if all else fails.

I don't know if you can per say mess up your bike by adjusting the TPS incorrectly- make it run worse and bad-YES. Mess it up- I dunno, have to ask someone w/ more wisdom than I for that. However, the adjustment is really simple and straight forward. I have the exact same year and model DL1000 K2 as you. I read up everything I could before I started and everything went just fine. When was your last Throttle Body Sync? I would look at a lot of other things before I would mess w/ the TPS unless it shows some crazy stuff in dealer mode. If the TPS is not bad, and the screws are not loose enough to where it can move on its own- I don't think it'll solve your problem to adjust it.. But I don't know for sure.. Good luck..

Opps that link has issues. Try this one for the Video from Suzuki.. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,18763.0.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks agin for all the info. So I didn't do the TPS adjustment or throttle body sync yet. I just took the gas tank off and changed the air filter dumped gas out put new gas in turned the idle up to about 1200-1300 and now it runs great. I hope that does it intel I do the other adjustments.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1200 is the maximum for a Vee idle speed.

·
38,103 Posts
Too high and it will hang at 2500 before coming down. Too low and it will sometimes stall.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My input:

I haven't performed this adjustment, YET.

I HAVE put the bike in dealer mode just for the experience. I also built a small 14 gauge u shaped wire that just fits in the connector perfect and stowed it away in my tool kit.. I don like uninsulated paper clips bumping up against metal frames, I'm weird that way.

Anyway, On my DL1000K6 he FI code is shown where the Clock usually is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, I'm in Indianapolis or I'd be glad to help in person!

Anyway, it's quite possible that you need to replace your TPS. They tend to wear out and start causing stalling at around 50,000 - 60,000 miles, sometimes sooner.
What part of Indianapolis? Fellow Strom Rider from East Side.

·
38,103 Posts
I don like uninsulated paper clips bumping up against metal frames, I'm weird that way.
The dealer mode jumper works by grounding the white/red wire to black/white ground. The jumper also grounding to the frame will make zero difference.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Makes me double weird then. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
174 Posts
GOt the Memo.. I love that movie. Can't tell you how many times that flick has set a light off in my head- esp when I messed with my TPS while drinking a few cold ones. My wife just sat back on the porsh with perma-grin and chuckled any time I mentioned TPS..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts