StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On about four separate occasions in last couple of days, my '07 has stalled or nearly stalled when shutting the throttle quickly, at a stop. Usually, it is not up to three bars on the temp gauge, but it also did it once when fully warmed, so it has become somewhat random, which is beginning to make me nervous. At all other times the bike idles and runs perfectly. Definitely air/fuel related issue, with a sensor (of some sort) not telling the truth to the rest of the bike.

I suspect the TPS, and I'm considering just replacing it for good measure. Is there a way to accurate way to check, or could it be mis-behaving at random occasions? Other ideas?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Often, turning the throttle full on to full off a few times, with the engine not running, will stop the odd behavior for a little while. If that works, replace the TPS. There is a new part number for 2007-2009 models so they are suspect.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, GW; I'll try your suggestion.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange: with the key on (engine NOT started), turning the throttle from stop to wide open, there's a 'buzz' sound as the throttle moves through about the 1/3rd and 2/3rd throttle positions on the grip.

Fingers on the TPS at the time confirm that this is the source of the sound. Its a most foreboding electrical sound, as if I'll soon witness an electron mutiny followed by smoke. :headbang:

Wonder if anyone else could see if theirs makes the same odd 'buzz' sound under these circumstances?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Strange: with the key on (engine NOT started), turning the throttle from stop to wide open, there's a 'buzz' sound as the throttle moves through about the 1/3rd and 2/3rd throttle positions on the grip.

Fingers on the TPS at the time confirm that this is the source of the sound. Its a most foreboding electrical sound, as if I'll soon witness an electron mutiny followed by smoke. :headbang:

Wonder if anyone else could see if theirs makes the same odd 'buzz' sound under these circumstances?
Well, after reading your post, I went to my bike, turned the key on and opened the throttle from idle to wide open. Result: Buzz...Buzz. Wide open to idle= Buzz...Buzz. I rode mine yesterday in 25F weather in the morning to 50F in the afternoon and it seemes to run just fine. In the colder morning my temp stayed on 2 notches, 3 notches in the afternoon.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after reading your post, I went to my bike, turned the key on and opened the throttle from idle to wide open. Result: Buzz...Buzz. Wide open to idle= Buzz...Buzz. I rode mine yesterday in 25F weather in the morning to 50F in the afternoon and it seemes to run just fine. In the colder morning my temp stayed on 2 notches, 3 notches in the afternoon.
Thanks for checking. I also see about the same on temp bars the last couple of cold mornings. I guess what I was trying to say was that I used to only see the problem while I was still only at one bar after just starting out on the morning commute. Now I have seen the issue even when up to three bars. Now it's unpredictable and I'm not a fan of that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Wee has never died or tried to die (knock on wood), but my '07 VFR has 3 or 4 times. Always at operating temp and after a quickish stop. I recall a thread on vfrworld.com about the VFRs doing it. I never really looked into it because it has not been a real problem to me. I just hit the starter and it fired right back up and ran fine.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
The TPS is a simple potentiometer

It is subject to wear and dirt. It is a little metal arm that moves on a pad (probably carbon) that varies resistance. Sometimes even the debris from the previous use collects and effects the output.

Back in the day every variable thing was run by a potentiometer "pot". Every hardware store would have electrical contact cleaner (used to be Fluorocarbon) to spray and clean of the wiping arm/pad. I think the closest thing readily available now would be carb or brake cleaner but the plastic might suffer.

The other is of course wear. The small area where you normally hold the throttle would wear out 1st. Once the carbon pad has worn out in the spot then the resistance would be wacky

I have not examined a TPS ( no problem yet) but looking at photos I think it is cleanable from the plug connection area. Spray wiggle spray as stuff drains out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TPS is a simple potentiometer

It is subject to wear and dirt. It is a little metal arm that moves on a pad (probably carbon) that varies resistance. Sometimes even the debris from the previous use collects and effects the output.

Back in the day every variable thing was run by a potentiometer "pot". Every hardware store would have electrical contact cleaner (used to be Fluorocarbon) to spray and clean of the wiping arm/pad. I think the closest thing readily available now would be carb or brake cleaner but the plastic might suffer.

The other is of course wear. The small area where you normally hold the throttle would wear out 1st. Once the carbon pad has worn out in the spot then the resistance would be wacky

I have not examined a TPS ( no problem yet) but looking at photos I think it is cleanable from the plug connection area. Spray wiggle spray as stuff drains out.
Rich, thanks. I have some of the newer 'enviro-friendly' (don't get me started :furious:) electrical contact cleaner that I may try for kicks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts