StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, when changing out my front sprocket on my 2003 Vee, I noticed that the gasket in the clutch release cycinder was missing. I bought a new one and fitted it to the bike, but now i have some clutch fluid leaking from the cylinder. When I put the cylinder back in place, I could not find any tourque settings for the bolts, and was hoping to get that info before I try cranking down on them a few more turns.
Anyway, thanks in advance.
- skitch

· Registered
537 Posts
skitch...I looked all through the manual, and you're right...there are no torque values to be found. Keep in mind that those bolts just attach the release cylinder to the case; it would do no good whatsoever to really crank down on them in the hope of stopping a leak. They just need to be "snug", not "smoked".

More than likely the piston is scored or warped - that's why the new seal didn't fix the leak. Or the housing has a crack/weep. You can probably get a used release cylinder on ebay from any of the crashed-carcass vulture junkyards pretty cheap. But jamming the bolts won't fix the problem.

Good luck!

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Make sure you didn't swap bolts. They are different lengths. Generally, 6mm shank bolts go with 7lb-ft, 8mm-16.5lb-ft, 10mm 25.5lb-ft.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at the assembly to make sure it is all in good shape and free of defects. irony here is that the dang thing never leaked until I pulled it to replace chain/sprockets. And seeing the gasket was missing, I decided to replace it. This is my kind of luck when i wrench on a bike...:headbang:

BL: Bike has 33k miles on it, and I'm trying to work out all the bugs before bringing it to Korea for a year.

· Registered
82 Posts
Hi Skitch,

Which gasket are you referring to - I don't remember a gasket in the clutch slave cylinder. There is a cup (or seal) on the piston, but you have to dismantle the slave cylinder to replace this. If it's missing the clutch won't work at all, and all the fluid would run out. There is also a rubber seal (not standard on earlier models) that keeps the chain lube gunk out.

Cheers,
Geoff

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Skitch,

Which gasket are you referring to - I don't remember a gasket in the clutch slave cylinder. There is a cup (or seal) on the piston, but you have to dismantle the slave cylinder to replace this. If it's missing the clutch won't work at all, and all the fluid would run out. There is also a rubber seal (not standard on earlier models) that keeps the chain lube gunk out.

Cheers,
Geoff
Bike bandit lists the part i was missing and installed as this:

SEAL,CLUTCH PUS
6X34X10.5

Here is a link to the schematic (part number 34):

2003 Suzuki DL1000 Parts, 2003 Suzuki DL1000 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Thanks.

· Registered
82 Posts
I'm pretty sure that part # 34 is the seal that is fitted into the side of the crankcase, which the pushrod goes through. It keeps the engine oil in the engine. You may be missing part 27a - this is a seal that wasn't fitted to our bikes (I have a K3 as well) but was fitted to newer bikes.

Check you have the bolts the right way around, but I'd be checking out the slave cylinder. It may need a new seal, but given where you are going I'd probably get a new slave cylinder, or at least get it cleaned up.

Have a read of the thread at http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7571.0.html for some very good info & pics.

Good luck with it.
Geoff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.