StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Tourmaster Epic jacket a couple of months ago, for around $200, making it an expensive cheap jacket or a cheap expensive jacket. Comes with a removable Thinsulate liner, which I immediately removed since the temps haven't been below 60 since then. Jacket has 4 vents on the front, three on the back, making it reasonable comfortable up to around 90 or so, at least with my stock K2 widnshield. Jacket has a built-in waterproof membrane. Obviously, with the vents open it isn't waterproof. Haven't tried it in a pouring rain yet, but yesterday was riding in steady drizzle with intermittant rain for an hour or so, and nothing the jacket covered got wet. Armored in shoulders and back. Has a few gimmicks (built-in kidney belt, waterproof hood for under-helmet use) that I haven't tried yet. Two outside waterpoof pockets, one interior (wallet sized) along with pouches for MP3 or what have you. Seems like a decent jacket for the price. Styled somewhat like the old waxed-cotton jackets, so it is a bit longer on the bottom, which is nice, since the extra length in back keeps the lower back well-covered, providing extra warmth in chilly weather. Obviously built to a price (one of the snaps on the kidney belt kept coming loose, needed a bit of adjustment) and probably won't hold up like the expensive jackets, but since I don't ride every day, or for long periods, maybe not an issue.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've been contemplating this one to replace my aging Teknic jacket.

So if you were headed out on an epic journey would you still buy the Epic jacket?

·
Registered
51 Posts
+1 on the epic jacket. Plenty warm with the liner and vents closed; plenty cool with vents open (lots of them!!!) and liner removed.

Cheers, -Kevin :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have about 15k miles on my Epic jacket now in just about every type of weather. Cold (20 degrees or so) Hot (100+) Damp, dry, snow, heavy rain etc... I like the jacket, but it has a few flaws. First, the seams on the arms started fraying almost the first day. It's not a big problem and it's minor, just seems a bit cheap. Second, the forearms are a bit tight which isn't a problem in cool weather, but when it's hot, they stick to your forearms unless you open up the cuffs just right to allow them to scoop air up the sleeves. Finally, the kidney belt is useless. I'm fairly fit (33 in waist) and the kidney belt is stretched way out such that it just dangles inside the jacket. I've since removed it. Seems like you could add your own if you really need one.

Despite all this I'd still recommend the jacket. I've put mine through the ringer and it's held up well. Kept me warm, cool and dry whenever needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts