StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the feeling that my old-school practice i.e. going to a store to try on and purchase boots is falling out of fashion. I guess the modern way to find shoes is to order them via the 'net and, if they don't fit, ship 'em back and ask for something else.

I've been searching for a motorcycle apparel store that carries a decent selection of Tourmaster Solution 2.0 WP Road Boots but it's like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. I have a wide foot and, by all accounts, the Tourmaster Solution seems to meet my size requirements AND my wallet.
After (foolishly) trusting the Tourmaster web site to list active dealers, I travelled to three different stores only to find that two didn't carry the boots. The third store DOES carry the boots but they didn't have my size, promised to get them in within a week and that was a month ago. I'm STILL looking.

Does anyone know of a STOCKING Tourmaster boot dealer in southern New England?

Thanks,
Aus

·
Registered
551 Posts
Don't mean to threadcrap, but I'm in the same situation but in the SouthWest! I decided to even expand my brand selection and also check manufacturers web sites looking for dealers. In fairness many showed only carrying certain portions of the brands (gloves or jackets, etc) but I still gave them a try. No luck.....they grab a catalog and offer to order them in for me. Heck, like you I can do that myself. So just really venting or commiserating perhaps.

Good Luck.

Rick

·
Registered
15,094 Posts
I know whatcha mean. I went to a local, 46 miles away, shop looking for a helmet on sale. They didn't have my size but would order it if I paid for it. I did and went back when It showed up. Didn't fit and I got my money back.
Very much a bother looking for unobtanium!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What size do you wear, Aus? I've been through two pairs of the Solutions boots (originals I think). My shoe size 13-5E and the 14-W fit well enough after I stretched it out a bit.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they read this thread...

The store that promised to order them in actually left a message on my cell, today, that the two pairs of boots had come in and that they'd hold 'em for me until I can get up there to try them on. Gawd, I hope they fit!

It must be a real challenge to compete against internet sales these days. I'm certain that's a big reason why Moto Market in Acton, Mass. went out of business. Hmmmmm, maybe my idea of a combination motorcycle apparel/accessories shop and a brewpub might work....of course I'd also have to be prepared to offer overnight bike storage and shuttle service home. :yesnod:

I was at another dealer the other day that sells bikes and apparel. The owner was telling me that last December he got an invoice from BMW for several thousands of dollars because he hadn't sold as much "BMW apparel" as in previous years and that in order to remain an authorized BMW-apparel retailer he had to cough up. You can imagine what MY opinion was! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Tom he doesn't want boots he has to register with the DMV

The answer is

our friends at

White Horse Gear in North Conway , NH, He;s a Vstrommer who actually uses the stuff he sells

I have tourmasters for 5 years so far so good

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom he doesn't want boots he has to register with the DMV...The answer is our friends at White Horse Gear in North Conway , NH, He;s a Vstrommer who actually uses the stuff he sells...I have tourmasters for 5 years so far so good
Ohhhh, although I've bought a bunch of stuff from WHG's catalog, it never dawned on me to ride up to North Conway. I assumed it was "just a warehouse set-up" not a retail store. Of course, being a "guy" I never thought to call them and ask. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried on the Tourmasters

Evidently my 12 W shoe size in the States isn't compatico with Tourmasters sizing. Neither the 12W or 13W fit: too tight. So they're going to get me a pair of 14W to try. I'm glad I DIDN'T order them over the internet, now. What a PITA it would have been to ship 'em back and forth.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's something else that might help, Aus. Pricey, yes, but they do the job.

Amazon.com: Hot Chillys Men's Lo Volume Sock: Clothing
Thanks Tom! You must've read my mind. When I was trying on the boots, I noticed that my socks didn't come far enough up my shins to keep the tops of the boots from rubbing. Potential chafing (sp?) issue there. The Hot Chillys look like a good investment. Think I'll get me a pair.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mom called them gunboats. :yesnod:
Or how about "Do those shoes have oarlocks, too?"

So I DID end up with 14W Tourmasters and I must say they sure are comfy. WAYYYY better than the lace up ankle-high boots I wore for three seasons!
I found Second Wind BMW-Triumph which is pretty close to me and they've been a pleasure to do business with. I've even gone ahead and ordered a pair of Solution WP Air Road boots, from them, because I'm so happy with the Solutions. I'm relieved to find a responsive retailer but I'll have to keep my blinders on when I walk through their showroom.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
So I DID end up with 14W Tourmasters and I must say they sure are comfy. WAYYYY better than the lace up ankle-high boots I wore for three seasons!
Very good! Best deal out there if you ask me. Mine aren't waterproof anymore, but I have a pair of rubbers that go over them.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm delighted with both the Solutions and the Airs, as well. Very comfortable! Coupled with some Drymax socks, the WP Air Boots are extremely comfy on a hot day. Way way wayyyyyy better than the boots I had before. I bought some inexpensive rubber overshoes, last winter, and will put those on when I find myself riding in the rain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts