StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 50/50 Heidenau Scouts front and back. Bit drony.

Looking for a quiet long lived touring tire than is rather low profile...trying to get the bike height down just a tad more and wondered if a touring tire might do the 1/2" or so I'd like. ( already have links.)

The Saddleman Adventure seat is taller than the stock seat but roomier. I like to add a Beadrider for doing distance and even with the 1"down link I'm a tad too tippy toe on anything with a camber.

I don't need to be flat foot but a 1/2" would do it.

That said the Heidenau seem to handle well but I won't be doing anything off pavement that would benefit.
Dirt roads and gravel the Scouts are nice.

Gonna do about 12,000 mile round trip out to the West coast with the kid next June and like a touring tire that will go the distance...wet weather handling a distant second feature.

TIA

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I have the K60 Hiedenau on the back of the Wee. Has about 4000K miles on it now.
Works fine.
I like Shinko's too. I get about 5+K miles from them. Rear's that is, the fronts last many long time.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
For a pavement tire, look at the Bridgestone Battleax T30.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4 great Touring tires, great in the Canyons or in the Rain. Trip to Canada this summer lots of rain, 5000 mi. on tires looks like I have 5000 mi. left. I will buy them again when the time comes..:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I have the K60 Hiedenau on the back of the Wee. Has about 4000K miles on it now.
Works fine.
I like Shinko's too. I get about 5+K miles from them. Rear's that is, the fronts last many long time.
The OP said he's looking for a "quiet, long lived tire". You mentioned Shinko's. Surely you don't mean 705's :green_lol:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 4. Great tire wet or dry, interstates or curve carving.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin PR4's. I've been running the PR3's (nearly 10,000 miles on them now) and they've done very well, even though the rear is flattened out due to 7000 miles of mostly slab in 2 weeks, but they still ride and handle great and I'm not at the wear bars yet. And that's on a 900 pound bike. It's gonna depend on how many twisties you throw in and whether you'll get 12K out of them. Remember to always keep the pressure set right and check them daily.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin PR4's. I've been running the PR3's (nearly 10,000 miles on them now) and they've done very well, even though the rear is flattened out due to 7000 miles of mostly slab in 2 weeks, but they still ride and handle great and I'm not at the wear bars yet. And that's on a 900 pound bike. It's gonna depend on how many twisties you throw in and whether you'll get 12K out of them. Remember to always keep the pressure set right and check them daily.
I'm on my 2nd set of PR3s on my Wee...amazing how the rear gets flat so quickly. I thought they would hardly wear at all, being as the Wee is a relatively light bike compared to my FJR, yet my FJR rear PR3 doesn't get flat until the tire is nearly used up. Still though, the flattening of the rear PR3 on the Wee doesn't seem to hurt handling.
I run about 39-40 on the rear,and 36-37 on the front.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 for the Bridgestone T30's. Mine were on the bike when I got it and I have put 1200km's in the 5 weeks I have had it and they still look brand new. PO said he only put 5k on the bike this summer but I am not sure if it was on those tires or not. I have not ridden them much in the rain but wet roads and the occasional forray onto gravel/logging roads seem to be OK and they have great online reviews.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have the K60 Hiedenau on the back of the Wee. Has about 4000K miles on it now....
Dayum, that's more miles than I've put or will ever put on all the tires I have ever owned or ever will own. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
The OP said he's looking for a "quiet, long lived tire". You mentioned Shinko's. Surely you don't mean 705's :green_lol:
Boy, you got that right. I just did a 7500 mile trip on them and "quiet" is their weak link. Thank goodness for my Bluetooth music, even though I'm permanently deaf now :)
Other than noisy, they are great. Decent handling, wear is average( rear made the entire trip), but needed change at the end. The pair cost me $150, which is a deal and a half.

·
Registered
824 Posts
+1 for PR 4's
PR4's have a different compound in the rear center from the 3's-should last longer, also a different center compound than PR 4 Trails (rear)
your 900 lb. bike is loaded with you and gear, right? or you talking Wing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts