StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've installed the touratech turn signal. The signals are working fin when the key in turned on. But when I start the motor, the signals blink faster. What confuses me here is that It blinks faster in intervalls, sometimes it blinks fast, then normal again, then fast again without me doing anything. :confused:

It does the same thing on each side. I've check if the wires to be sure they isn't a bat connection. Everything seems OK. Does anybody has an idea?

For those that have installed the touratech signals received in the kit a second set of bulbs that you have to replace the ones already in the socket. Could this be it?

I don't know much about wiring, but the installation seamed quite straitforward, so I don't know where to go from here. I realize that this could be complicated to answer by not having the bike in front of you.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you actually replace the bulbs with the alternate ones in the kit? I couldn't tell from your original post. If not, I would start by swapping in those bulbs.

The Suzuki flasher is designed to operate with a certain load, so if it senses something other than the factory bulbs, it will blink faster. It's supposed to be a safety feature - if your turn signals start blinking at double-speed, it means that one of your bulbs is not working (not enough load on the flasher = double-speed flashing). This often happens when people replace their turn signals with LED signals, which draw less current than the originals.

As to why they work properly at key-on, but not when the engine is running, I can only guess. My guess would be that the resting battery voltage is low enough that it's just within the flasher's "normal" range. But when the engine is running, your electrical system's voltage is raised enough to trigger the "out of spec" double-speed flashing. Or, in your case, it sounds like your bike's voltage is hovering right around the "OK/not OK" voltage.

Three ways to fix it:

1. Change the bulbs so they match the original factory wattage.

2. Change the flasher. I foundthis guy on eBay; he sells flashers that will drop right in to the Suzuki socket (under the seat, right in front of the battery). These flashers will work with LEDs or various wattages of incandescent bulbs.

3. Add resistors across the bulb to increase their current draw.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I installed those turn signals a couple of weeks ago. You have to replace the 23W bulbs with the 21W ones (supplied with the kit). Mine did the exact same thing that yours' are doing and when I switched the bulbs, everything was perfect. By the way, I love the look of these signals! :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding - I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. For some reason, I have missed your replies.

yes, I've replaced the bulb with the alternate ones (the 21W) in the kit. Just to check and be sure, I've tried to come back to the original bulbs that were already installed in the socket of the touratech signals when I got them, and it does what is expected -they blink faster all the time, with the motor running or not.

My bike and setup doesn't seem to be working well with the 21W. I find it strange that It would do this with my bike only - haven't heard anyone having the same problem. I've even took out all my other wiring (for GPS and aux. lights) to verify there is nothing interfering with the signals.

Deducting from what your saying, my easiest option would be to add some resistance, or find another bulb. I try the latter first, and see.

I hope it is possible to find a bulb that fits in the touratech socket, but matching the original factory wattage.

Thanks - it gives at least a path to follow. I was really at a lost with this because, yes they are nice looking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts