StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to go with the SV Racing frame and swingarm sliders instead of crash bars for my '12. Does anyone have any input on the Touratech skid plate? It appears to be rubber mounted to the engine. Pros...cons?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I wouldn't mount a skid plate to the engine. Miine get beat to hell and I'd rather not use he engine casing as a shock absorber.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the Touratech bash plate on my Strom.

It's rubber mounted to the engine just below the front header pipe.

Touratech claims that the mounting because of the rubber damping won't damage the engine in case of a hit.
Based on previous experience with Touratech equipment I tend to believe that claim.

Last week I changed the tires of my bike.
When I removed the front wheel I jacked up the bike using the bash plate. Because of the rubber dampning the bash plate moved a few mm until it rested on the header pipe below the engine before the front wheel lifted of the ground - leaving close to no stress on the front engine mounting of the bash plate.

By the way - it's easy to remove the plate when draining the oil and replacing the oil filter.

All in all I'm happy with the Touratech bash plate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Touratech bash plate on my Strom.

It's rubber mounted to the engine just below the front header pipe.

Touratech claims that the mounting because of the rubber damping won't damage the engine in case of a hit.
Based on previous experience with Touratech equipment I tend to believe that claim.

Last week I changed the tires of my bike.
When I removed the front wheel I jacked up the bike using the bash plate. Because of the rubber dampning the bash plate moved a few mm until it rested on the header pipe below the engine before the front wheel lifted of the ground - leaving close to no stress on the front engine mounting of the bash plate.

By the way - it's easy to remove the plate when draining the oil and replacing the oil filter.

All in all I'm happy with the Touratech bash plate.
For the oil and filter changes; 5mm bolts all around to remove? or are they 6mm bolts?

I'm interested in this TourTech unit!

Cheers,
Barney

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put one on mine this weekend.

Although the instructions are a bit lacking, it is pretty easy to figure out. I also have to add that everything lined up well and there was no beating banging or prying necessary to install it.

IMHO it's a quality piece, and I am pleased with it.

That's my .02
Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't mount a skid plate to the engine. Miine get beat to hell and I'd rather not use he engine casing as a shock absorber.
You've got the point here. However rubber mount technology on Touratech makes this double rubber connection not rigid, and it absorbs the beating very well. No stress comes to engine itself and
it also helps your bash plate to live longer... IMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my Touratech plate! Easy to deal with, effective on the gravel and low maintenance roads I frequent - quiet when moving down the highway. Coexists famously with my stock 2013 center stand. Yes I'd buy it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts