StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it...I ordered the Touratech Explore shock for $1100 beans. I hope I don't regret spending that kind of money on a five year old bike. It was that or send off the stocker to Sasquatch and have it rebuilt. On our last two-up venture on twisty Oregon 229 the back end was just a pogo stick. I likely blew a seal or had some other failure. About 15k miles, so to be expected. So I drank the Kool aid. I know fellow Strommers mostly tend to be the frugal type and may "nay" the purchase... I'll report back after installing, tweaking, and test riding...
Anyone else have one of these?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much do you weigh?
Me 195 lbs with gear, pillion is 145 lbs with gear, luggage racks and hard boxes 40 lbs empty, up to 100 lbs loaded for camping. 65% of my riding is two up with about 60 lbs in luggage and gear, so 400 lbs total. We ride at a spirited pace on twisty, less than perfect pavement mostly. Usually taking corners at 150-200% of posted (recommended) corner speeds. The OEM suspension wasn't great, but we tolerated it by using judicious rear brake and lots of trail braking with the front. I found early on that using some rear brake was necessary to keep the brake dive to a minimum. Next thing will be to get new springs in the forks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Upgrading the rear shock is a great idea. You may find the front a bit wanting after you do this if you have not upgraded the front forks. Lots of info on this forum regarding the front forks. Upgraded my 2012 DL1000 front forks with cartridges from Andreani.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Money well spent. Congratulations! And yep, upgrade the forks to match pronto.

Suzuki has a decades-long habit of building motorcycles with dangerously inadequate suspension.

Either they just slap on whatever is cheap and will bolt in, or their test riders are drawn from the ranks of retired Japanese ballerinas and jockeys.

I've seen many stock Suzukis, including V-Stroms, with too much suspension sag under the weight of the bike alone without a rider.

Reactions: 2thDr

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Money well spent. Congratulations! And yep, upgrade the forks to match pronto.

Suzuki has a decades-long habit of building motorcycles with dangerously inadequate suspension.

Either they just slap on whatever is cheap and will bolt in, or their test riders are drawn from the ranks of retired Japanese ballerinas and jockeys.

I've seen many stock Suzukis, including V-Stroms, with too much suspension sag under the weight of the bike alone without a rider.
I don't think Suzuki has the corner on the market in this practice. My FZ-09 needed fork work and a new shock when it was brand new...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a touratech shock on my 2018. I have worked with it extensively. The stock spring for our bikes is 550 pounds per inch. it's way too soft (I weigh 180 and wife 140) and it wasn't;t anywhere stiff enough.The stiffest spring they would send me is 625 pounds per inch (they claimed dthey didn't have aniything stiffer that would fit my Explore shock). Ideally I suspect you would be best if they had a 650. But if they don't the 625 will work. Ask them to set it up with somewhere between 10 and 12 mm installed preload (mine had 9mm and was perfect for my 180 and 140). They gave me hard time telling me they knew better than I about springing, but I was working with John Sharrard the number one bike suspension expert in canada and he was spot on with reciting the 625.
Have fun
PS I have a thread and also an article here dealing with the suspension front and rear. Front I suspect you want either 0.90 or 0.95 kg/mm springs

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a touratech shock on my 2018. I have worked with it extensively. The stock spring for our bikes is 550 pounds per inch. it's way too soft (I weigh 180 and wife 140) and it wasn't;t anywhere stiff enough.The stiffest spring they would send me is 625 pounds per inch (they claimed dthey didn't have aniything stiffer that would fit my Explore shock). Ideally I suspect you would be best if they had a 650. But if they don't the 625 will work. Ask them to set it up with somewhere between 10 and 12 mm installed preload (mine had 9mm and was perfect for my 180 and 140). They gave me hard time telling me they knew better than I about springing, but I was working with John Sharrard the number one bike suspension expert in canada and he was spot on with reciting the 625.
Have fun
PS I have a thread and also an article here dealing with the suspension front and rear. Front I suspect you want either 0.90 or 0.95 kg/mm springs
Thanks for your reply! Good info.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke with a knowledgeable sounding guy (Morgan) at Touratech yesterday...I relented to what spring they wanted to put on, sounds like about 600 lbs/in (100-108 kg/cm) with the understanding if I don't like it, I can send it back for a stiffer one. I had my old VFR shock resprung and rebuilt back in the day, and the result was punishing, so I'm leery of going too stiff. Will report back...

·
Registered
539 Posts
ask then what the installed preload for your weight will be., If it';s less than 14 or so, I think you're going to have too much sag, especially with your wife on board.

To wit: at 180 pounds and with a 625 pound sp[ring with 9 mm installed preload, I get 50-mm (roughly 1/3 travel) with zero hydraulic preload (the adjuster knob thing)

And you need zero hydraulic because with a light 600 pound spring, if you have used some hydraulic preload to get the sag right when you're solo, there won't be enough to get to the same sag number with your wife and luggage aboard.

Good luck

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ask then what the installed preload for your weight will be., If it';s less than 14 or so, I think you're going to have too much sag, especially with your wife on board.

To wit: at 180 pounds and with a 625 pound sp[ring with 9 mm installed preload, I get 50-mm (roughly 1/3 travel) with zero hydraulic preload (the adjuster knob thing)

And you need zero hydraulic because with a light 600 pound spring, if you have used some hydraulic preload to get the sag right when you're solo, there won't be enough to get to the same sag number with your wife and luggage aboard.

Good luck
So is your 50mm sag calculated by the measurement of unladen/extended suspension minus the measurement of you on the bike?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Of course, fully extended rear well off the ground. the you sitting on it with feet on pegs (someone holding it up not you with your feet)

Again, I had a little pushback with getting a heavier spring. Not what is recommended, not for this bike etc. but I had it set top by our country's best suspension guy and he was spot on. Like it's perfect.

reach out to the personal mailbox and i will give you my phone number if it helps. I played a lot with this shock

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Too bad you didn't give Sasquatch a chance. I 'm happy with my shock after his upgrade. He can give you a spring for the needs you have. The savings would be a lot of beer money.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, it's like I have a crystal ball or something...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too bad you didn't give Sasquatch a chance. I 'm happy with my shock after his upgrade. He can give you a spring for the needs you have. The savings would be a lot of beer money.
Good thing I don't need money for beer! Sure could have bought a bunch of ammo though...

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Ammo, good. I've got several pounds of Black powder and a couple hundred balls and caps. I'll be good for the start of the invasion.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I've had Jay overhaul and re-spring one of my shocks. He does nice work but in the end, it's still a stock shock. No compression adjustment and simple valving. If you're critical of your suspension performance, you need to spend some fun chips.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sigh...still waiting for shock to ship...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts