StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been much said about a front end wobble while decelerating with a front tire Tourance, but most of these posts have been from five years ago.

Has anybody had recent bad experiences with Tourances on the front? I'm considering these for a ride up the Dalton Highway in Alaska.

Howard

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
There has been much said about a front end wobble while decelerating with a front tire Tourance, but most of these posts have been from five years ago.
imo, it's the flatter profile of the tourance that makes it more prone to decel wobble than most other tires.

It's also this profile that makes it a very quick handling tire. Mid corner adjustments are very easy. It's a great low/mid speed tire.
Unfortunately, it's these very characteristics that also cause it to be very unstable at higher speeds on less than perfect roads and conditions.

For comparison purposes, the dunlop D607 is a tire I consider having the opposite handling manners - it has a very round profile.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The five year old problems were attributed to manufacturing defects. I've been through two or three fronts since then with no issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A friend warned me or informed me about the wobble when i bought my wee with Tourances already on it. I just put on a new set 2 weeks ago. I put 10K on the first set that were on when i bought it and never had a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last summer i lnstalled a Tourance front and had the wobble on my 2009 wee. I tightend the steering head bearings and it helped a little. This spring i replaced the steering bearings with tapered bearings and no more wobble. I like the feel of the Tourance.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Had tourances for 2000 miles now and I commute on mine rain or shine. I love the tourances and have no such problems. Bought the tires about two months ago.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Are you guys referring to the Original Tourance that had wobble problems reported or the EXP which seems to be wobble free?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Are you guys referring to the Original Tourance that had wobble problems reported or the EXP which seems to be wobble free?
I had the EXP's on my K7 and had no wobble problems. I really like those tires and when I wear out the battle wings on my 2011, EXP's will be put back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't there a wear difference between the original tourances and the new ones? Don't the new ones wear out faster?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Isn't there a wear difference between the original tourances and the new ones? Don't the new ones wear out faster?
Correct. New ones are a softer compound. Therefore they wear quicker but also grip the road better. I was tempted to do EXP front and original rear. Then their life would be almost the same. But I went originals front and rear. The EXP's cost more as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Correct. New ones are a softer compound. Therefore they wear quicker but also grip the road better. I was tempted to do EXP front and original rear. Then their life would be almost the same. But I went originals front and rear. The EXP's cost more as well.
So what is the approximate mileage of the shorter life ones? I put 10K miles on the ones that were on my Wee when i bought it and only changed them now because I am leaving next week on a long road trip. Might could have gotten another 2 or 3 thousand out of them and don't know how many were on them when I got it. Is that about average or the shorter mileage that you speak of? My gauge is from wearing out knobbies so i am not sure what to expect out or the Tourances.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So what is the approximate mileage of the shorter life ones? I put 10K miles on the ones that were on my Wee when i bought it and only changed them now because I am leaving next week on a long road trip. Might could have gotten another 2 or 3 thousand out of them and don't know how many were on them when I got it. Is that about average or the shorter mileage that you speak of? My gauge is from wearing out knobbies so i am not sure what to expect out or the Tourances.
I couldn't tell you exactly. Plus it depends on the rider and conditions. I would guess 66%-75% life of original tourances. That's merely a guess from research I've done recently before I bought my new original tourances. YMMV

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got Tourances

I have installed the same Tourances (old model) almost 2 full fuel tanks and no problems at all, with and without load. Loving them by the way

Just get it installed and balanced by a pro.

Have to try them off orad though ... anyone in NSW-OZ???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts