StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at new tires and have always liked Metzlers. There are a ton of threads that talk about the Tourance and Tourance Next but the content is almost exclusively about mileage achieved and tarmac performance. Can anyone weigh in on the off-tarmac performance of the two models? Dirt and gravel roads, fire service and logging roads, double-track and not super-technical single-track? I don't anticipate sand to any appreciable degree but if anyone has experience with both in mud, that would also be helpful. TIA

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I found the original Tourance works fine in all but mud and sand. You need knobby then. 500+ lbs. bikes never like either of those.

·
Vendor
4,875 Posts
+1 on nvr2old assessment. i used them on my 2005 DL650. Big (HUGE) improvement over the stock Trailwings (a.k.a., deathwings). Especially the rear.

If the Battlewings weren't so good for what I need I would be mounting Tourances on my Vee2.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I think the combo of Tourance Next front and Tourance rear is a reasonable compromise for mild off tarmac use. Sand/ mud are a problem and I think any 80/20 type tire can't handle that.

The Tourance rear has a deeper tread and lasts at least as long, I think a little longer than the Tourance Next (rear). In the end they square up and the regular Tourance is just running longer with at least a bit of tread left.

For the front the Tourance Next is preferred because it has less tendency for cupping and is quiet, once it's wearing. The regular Tourance will eventually sing when leaned over and at slow speed will be a little wobbly (because of the cupping).

Both tires have been solid in dry and wet conditions for me.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I had Metzler Torrance Next on my GS when I bought it last year. Great tire but not sure about the mileage hype. At 5,000 miles the f/r rear were both down to the wear bars.

I do attribute some of the accelerated wear to the servo brakes. Just breathe on the brake lever and the bike comes to an almost instantons halt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts