StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice, comments etc. Looking to re tire my 2012 wee. I road on road exclusively... yes I know... I'm sorry... Looking at either the Tourance, Tourance Next or the Michelin Road pilot 3 Trail. The original Tourance I think I have read enough about, but haven't heard a whole lot about the Next version or the RP3. Life expectancy? Handling wet and dry?? Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
People seem to really like the Anakee 2 and now the anakee 3, especially in the wet.... I like the Tourances myself, but I am open for something else when my stock tw come due....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only need a rear, otherwise I'd go with the RP3's, dont want another TW and only have double the wear bar left... $164 is the best price I could find on Tourance. Thats also the cheapest of all of them. The Anakee 3 is $250!!!

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I have a set of the RP3 Trail on mine and they are very sticky in wet, dry, cold, or hot road conditions. Not so much in gravel, grass or mud. I have nearly 800 miles on mine and no signs of wear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a set of the RP3 Trail on mine and they are very sticky in wet, dry, cold, or hot road conditions. Not so much in gravel, grass or mud. I have nearly 800 miles on mine and no signs of wear.
Anxious to see the long term for those Kevin.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Bridgestone BT-023 is another good street choice. The PR3 may be the better tire in the wet. As an exclusive road rider, don't get a compromise dual-sport tire. Yes, they're very civilized on the street, but a pure street tire is even better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bit the bullet and ordered up a new Tourance. Goes on on Tuesday. I have 2mm left on the TW at 14,000 kms but have a 1500 km weekend planned so I don't want to risk it. Thanks for the in puts. Next set will be a street tire.......:beatnik:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
tire report

doboy
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

new tourance "next" dont buy ?
i have just got back from a 3,500 mile tour on my 2012 v strom ..just before i left i had a pair of the new TOURANCE NEXT fitted ...this was a BIG mistake these tyres turned my bike into a wobbly weaving mess ...the front has very soft tyre walls that make the front end like jelly . i tried different tire pressures this made no difference at all ..both tyres white line , follow grooves in the road . if i shut off at 60-70mph i can feel the handlebars starting to shake ..the front tyre is by far the worst giving NO FEEDBACK at all , you dont know what the front wheel is doing ...to me i think they have made this tyre in a hard compound for longer life as with 3,500 miles on them there is not the slightest sign of any wear ...ive been told these tyre now come standard on the new bmw 1200 gs..well they may be ok on that but they do not suit the v strom at all ...........

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well new Metz Tourance is on, so far so good, nice easy turn ins. Starting a Round Georgian Bay ride in the morning.... The Long Way Round!:hurray:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so just put 1500 kms on the new Tourance. All I can say is, what is the big deal, rode through torrential rain and standing water.... no slippage, rode some serious curves... no slippage, rode lots of straight lines no major wear, rode some seriously deep water covered gravel...no worries. Would a 100% street tire do this? Not likely! Would a full blown trail knobbie do this? Not likely! Go with a 80/20 and you will have allthe bases covered!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts