StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looking for tires for a new to me 2012 DL650A. Still has the stock tires on it with about 10k miles, so looking for new ones. Read multiple threads here (including all 70-some pages of the big tire thread) as well as elsewhere.

As much as I'd like to say I am a 80/20 rider, realistically I will be more like a 93/7 rider with most of the miles commuting and going on road trips home to visit family.

Through a bunch of my research, I think I've come down to an original tourance on the rear. I love the look and I read great things. The problem comes down to the front - i cannot seem to decide on one and am looking for input.

I am willing to sacrifice thread wear for wet/dry traction as well as road/off road (gravel and dirt) traction.

I also would like to keep the same look of the Tourance rear.

Any suggestions? I've been looking at TKC70s, fullbore m40, shinkos, heidendau, tourances of multiple flavors, and multple others. I know similar questions have been asked, but they always seem to be about a specific front. I've read so much I can't even choose a front...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Use the KISS theory: Keep It Simple Stupid.
Put the same Tourance on the front.

Reactions: Vhawg

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Shinko 705.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
I will probably need new tires after NEVA16 and i was also considering torrance and shinko. Still not sure? But at least i narrowed it down?

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
The front Tourance is "very well known" for a bad wobble problem.

Reactions: madscrapper85

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm really liking the Avon TrailRider...

Reactions: Vhawg

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
wobble vx howl

well, maybe that explains the wobble at around 38mph with the tourance. But the howl at 45 with the 705 is obnoxious.
I'll be looking at something other than those two brands/models for my next set.
Like the OP, 90+ % road.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
well, maybe that explains the wobble at around 38mph with the tourance. But the howl at 45 with the 705 is obnoxious.
I'll be looking at something other than those two brands/models for my next set.
Like the OP, 90+ % road.
Aggressive tires are going to howl, no way around that. I wear earplugs so can't say it bothers me at all. :smile2: If the OP is doing a rear Tourance and rides 90% road, then I would not go with a rear Tourance.

Reactions: madscrapper85

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are the trailriders on gravel/dirt? The majority of my off-tarmac adventures will be on dirt and gravel. May take it to do some easy forest trails, but nothing major.

Additionally I was under the impression that the tourance wobble issue had been fixed with the newer v rated version.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm in exactly the same situation, probably 95/5 road, I like the look of the original tourance but I want good road holding.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I'm in exactly the same situation, probably 95/5 road, I like the look of the original tourance but I want good road holding.
They handle amazing, as do many of the even more aggressive tires. Look hard at the Bridgestone A40 or the new Avon Trailriders for a solid mostly tarmac tire.

Reactions: VstromGrin

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I run Tourance (the original) front and rear for several sets now. The front wobble is a no issue. I don't even realize it's there any longer and only at low speeds. The front sings a little at high speed and lean. That just adds to the fun riding twisty roads. Never an issue on dry or wet roads. Good enough for gravel. Not suitable for mud or sandy surfaces.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like the looks of the Bridgestone A40's I wonder how good are they on cold wet roads though?
We get a lot of rain here and I ride most of the year.
The bike came with anakee 3, they have done 8000 miles, still ok but the rear is squaring off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, further research has me sold on the Avon Trailriders I think. I cannot find anything negative about them...

·
Administrator
13,576 Posts
Tourance "Next" is a great choice on the front.

No low speed waggle, all the great attributes I liked on the regular Tourance plus nicer turn-in and generally sportier feel. Only negative in my mind is somewhat less life.

I liked them so my on my 2012 DL650 that it's my front tire on my 2015 DL1000.

..Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bridgestone Battle wings might be a nice option. I've only had them on gravel roads so far for offroad but seem do so fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered a pair of Trailriders today. Should be in on Wednesday. Quoted price mounted/balanced for both at right around $300. Local guy beat online prices without me even asking.

Is it wrong to be this excited about new tires? :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts