StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just mounted a set of Tourance tires on my 05 Wee; planning a trip to Alaska this summer. What kind of mileage are you guys seeing from these tires?

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
On my 650's with Standard Tourance (ie not "Next" or "XP") tires I typically got 20,000 to 24,000 km (12,000 to 15,000 miles) on the rears, between 30,000 km and 38,000 km (19,000 to 24,000 miles) The Next seems to give a little less life on the rear which for me wasn't worth the difference. The front got less but the improvement in handling etc was worth it to me.

Please note that the area and type of roads you ride on can make a big difference in tread life. I keep hearing of riders in New Mexico and further west getting way less life from tires.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
14,000 miles on mine when I picked up a nail. Plugged it and ran the 120 mi. home. Replaced it the next day and it had around 1K left in tread.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
On tour I expect 8,000 from a rear to the wear bars in the center, front will go 12K or more for me easily. I've been changing my fronts early for trips, so I have never worn out a front completely except for one soft compound Tourance EXP which wore really fast and it was done, done, done at 8K. I hate buying tires on the road, changing them at home in my driveway is much cheaper.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
"riders in New Mexico and further west getting way less life from tires."
Higher riding temps or coarser pavement? I have not had much more tire life from Tourance than the Shinko at about 5-6K miles. So I buy the less expensive tires.
In the old days of tube, bias tires I got 20K+ miles out of a Metzler ME88 rear tire and 40K miles from the fronts. Them days are over.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My tourance exp got squared off quicker than the oem battlewing, I paid a lot more for the metzeller, here's to hoping for as many miles because I'm not impressed so far since I haven't got past new Mexico this year (aka no very warm weather riding so far).

Look mom, I'm on Tapatalk!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got 9300 miles out of a rear Tourance Next. The front is still going strong at 8000 miles.
care to share more info about the tourance next?

how was the ride?

i read an odd review on webbikeworld that made the tire seem squirrelly.

here is the review:

Metzeler Tourance Next Review - webBikeWorld

i look forward to your thoughts.

be well.

rob

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
car to share more info about the tourance next?

how was the ride?

here is the review:

be well.

rob
The new Tourance models do not get good mileage, but they handle great while they last. :fineprint:

·
Administrator
13,736 Posts
car to share more info about the tourance next?

how was the ride?

here is the review:

be well.

rob
I was rather surprised by that review as it was counter to my experience with the Next on my 2012 DL650. I love the feel of the Tourance Next up front. Don't feel any squirrliness at all. I don't do a ton of gravel, maybe a few miles of gravel roads every week but haven't seen any reason not to use them for light use on gravel.

I haven't see any real benefit to using the Next on the rear though, so use the basic standard Tourance there.

..Tom

·
Registered
508 Posts
My experience of the rear Tourance (regular) , after 3 rear sets is you will get roughly 10,000 to 11,000 km before needing to replace it. I am not an aggressive rider but do often ride with camping gear. I believe that V-tom's high mileage is an exception to the norm for these tires.

Note that I ride a Vee and various other factors will enter into the equation.

Do a google search

Brian

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Some regions use a very abrasive aggregate in their road paving materials. That really grinds tires down fast. Summer heat also matters, as does speed, load, and inflation.

Reactions: Hard miles

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Really, if you want good tire feedback you need to ask someone who rides like you in your area. We all ride different paces, but I found a riding buddy that is close to my style and pace so we like the same bikes and tires.

I'll sit around a motorcycle campground jaw jacking and some guy will say he has 10,000 miles on a rear tire that I see 6,000 max out of. Well, I left the CG about 10 minutes after that guy on his heavy loaded Triumph 1200 and quickly caught up on my fully loaded down Vee, followed him for a couple miles and I couldn't stand the 40 in a 55 mph zone on a beautiful road with great curves on a gorgeous sunny morning with very light traffic.

I know exactly why he saw 12,000 miles from a Tourance tire, he did lean all the way over in the curves but he didn't need to, a school bus would tailgate that guy. Smooth to the extreme and slow, but he apparently liked riding that way. I could be done eating breakfast before he made it to town. And I don't think of myself as fast, I liked 60 mph on that road to his 40. He would get behind a farm tractor and not pass.

My main riding buddy gets the same mileage out of tires as me. My roads in Alabama are rough around here, more like wagon trails with chip seal. But, I got the same mileage when I lived in NC and SC. Living in Florida I would get a couple thousand more out of a rear.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i just checked and i'm damn close to exactly 11,000 miles on tourances and neither is anywhere close to being toast. south florida inferno temps and lots of riding on coral rock roads in the everglades. not exactly tire friendly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The new Tourance models do not get good mileage, but they handle great while they last. :fineprint:
This is a strong point. Somewhere up yonder it was mentioned that hotter pavement (and its condition) might wear tires faster, I get 10-14,000 mi on the rear, ~15-20,000 mi on the front, commuting all year on freeways that get incredibly hot for almost half the year. The point about the handling, is that I experience far less tire wear-related front end wobble with Tourances than the stock Bridgestones. this is supposedly due to a deeper tread with a more pronounced 'V' shape to the tire's construction.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Been a while since any information here but just finished a set of Tourances. K7 Vee 36psi front and 39psi rear. Colorado mountain roads. Easy acceleration and braking but spirited corner speeds.
Regular Tourances (not NEXT), front reached wear bars on left side at 7200 miles and rear reached center wear bars at 9000 miles. Good feel on the road, not much wet rides on them. I was expecting more miles but I ride a little harder than some. The only thing I really did not like was a loud hum from the tread pattern when leaned over. I cannot remember if I heard it when they were new or just after some wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts