StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to order a new set of Tourance(s) when I was faced with two versions, regular and EXP.

The descriptions don't divulge a difference, do you guys know?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I had an EXP on the rear of my Wee. It stuck really well on the tar and I certainly never had any problems on dirt roads. I suspect that it if got really muddy they might not be to good though.
Mine lasted 13,000km which is a bit less than people seem to get from the Regular version but I was more than happy with it overall.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The previous owner of my bike put an EXP on the front and a regular Tourance on the rear. That combination works very well for me.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Which is better: sticky or long lasting. I vote for LL.
Same for me.
But if you tend to push the limits when cornering on tar then the opposite would be the better choice.

I have not tried the EXP's but have had the standard Tourance previously on an 1150GS and now on the Wee.
For me they grip really well (even in the wet) and are good enough for the dirt riding I do.
On the GS I had over 20,000km on the rear and would have easily made 25,000.
I'm riding harder on the Wee (it is such a fun bike to ride :thumbup: ) so it will be interesting to see what km's I get with them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm currently on my second set of EXPs.

I got 12K miles out of the the stock DeathWings and 11k miles on the first set of EXPs.

The current set has 11.5K. They handle well on dry and wet roads. They are a 90/10 tire compaired to the original Tourance's 80/20. (on-road / off-road).

I don't go off road much, so the EXP has been my tire of choice.

My big decision right now is to buy new tires, or a new bike. I am really liking the new Kawi Concours.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I just installed a second set of EXP's. The rear went about 5k miles with lots of two up riding. Could have gotten another 500 to the wear bars. Really, really fun tires that stick well. No front end washout even at crazy cornering speeds (so I've heard :wink:). If you're riding style is more sedate then the standard version or even the Trailwings should be just fine.

Bill

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've run both the Tourance and the EXP's I've been happy with both. I'd say the EXP is a 95/5 road tire, and is a little squirrely on loose gravel at 38 psi, I don't air down as I'm mostly on road. I liked the regular tourance when I was doing more dirt roads, and trails.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hopefully not a post highjack .....

If a fella were to ride exclusively road on his Wee.....NO dirtroads at all, would either of these tires be preferred over something else?

And similarly, if a fella were to ride exclusively road ..... but some day might ride something like say, the Alaskian Highway should he definetly shuck his 100% road tires he's using and get something more universal for the trip?

DB

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys (and girls, if that 's the case) Seems like I need to decide how I plan to ride. Probably mostly road. The EXP front/ Standard rear sounds interesting too.

·
Registered
392 Posts

If a fella were to ride exclusively road on his Wee.....NO dirtroads at all, would either of these tires be preferred over something else?

DB
I ride with a guy on an FJR who runs dirt/gravel roads, not trails. He is using Metzeler z6, I was going to switch over, but they no longer make a front in a 19", on the Canadian site, maybe it's just an omission.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=18102

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
I ride with a guy on an FJR who runs dirt/gravel roads, not trails. He is using Metzeler z6, I was going to switch over, but they no longer make a front in a 19", on the Canadian site, maybe it's just an omission.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=18102
the Z6 is becoming obsolte and is being replaced with the Z6 Interact, don't see a 19" front in the Interact size list

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

And similarly, if a fella were to ride exclusively road ..... but some day might ride something like say, the Alaskian Highway should he definetly shuck his 100% road tires he's using and get something more universal for the trip?

DB
Haven't run the EXP but otherwise NO!

YES!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I've worm out a few EXPs and have recently switched to regular. I'm off to Colorado in a few adays so I'll know more when I get home in July.
My gut feeling is that after riding the regulars now for about 7,000km and checking closely on tire wear and feeling no real difference I'll probably continue with the regular. I believe that my EPX did wear very quickly and I don't ride at the traction limit anyway so probably don't need the extra stickum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts