StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-tire my DL650 soon and must choose between the new EXP Tourance and the older Tourances like those I now have mounted and like. I don't want to pass up an improvement if that's what the EXP presents. I've searched and got a lot of hits but all were speculation on how the EXP would be compared to the "older" Tourance, but no one reporting on their experience with them, except a few reports that seemed to be outliers (one worn out at 4k miles in Mexico, another a wobble on decel).
Anybody here that's had them on for a while care to comment?

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
I had high hopes for this tire. At 2308 miles half the tread depth was gone and it was squaring off. My typical roads and loads yielded just under 8000 miles on the Tourance, and they only square off slightly towards the end. That means if this tire continues to wear the same it will be off in less than 5000 miles (for comparison, I do not run my tires to the threads).

The EXP is a good tire. It's stick is more confidence inspiring than the old Tourance for sure, but it is wearing out faster. Also the tread is just not aggressive enough for the occasional trouble I get into off-highway. On the basis of price and multi-surface grip I'll return to an Anakee on the rear.

I'm still waiting for others to comment on the steep profile of the EXP. It might account for some of the enhanced handling differences some have noted. All I know that I'm no where near the edge on this tire, where I regularly get to the edge of most tires of the same size.

Mine is off the bike right now, but I'll remount it for a trip at the end of May, so hopefully I can update the wear report later.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I've had both to some extent. I bought the bike 8 months ago with the original style Tourances and what I estimated to be about 30% tread left on the rear, unknown age. After about 6 months and 5,000 miles, I decided it was time to replace the rear because it was pretty squared off and at mimimum safe tread depth. I wanted the original style because I have heard that they wear longer. My prefered shop said they could only get the EXP model, so I got those - front and rear.

I have to say that the new tires handle markedly better than the old. Mind you, this is a new tire to old tire comparison, not new to new. The old front tire tracked badly in "vertical" groves in the road, the new tire doesn't notice those grooves.

Cornering in general is so much better. The old, squared off rear decidedly tipped into turns. The new rounder one has no transition effect. The EXPs feel stickier as well. Stickiness and longevity are generally mutually exclusive. I don't have a tread depth gauge, so I can't tell you how much I've worn off in the last 2,000 miles, but it's not visible to my untrained eye. If I get 10,000 miles, I'll be happy with that, given their very good pavement and dirt road manners.

Cheers,
Neil

·
Registered
126 Posts
Experience with both

I had the Tourances on for 12,000 mi. Replaced at the 2.0 mm safe tread depth for the rear that the manual recommends. They are a huge upgrade over the stock in terms of wear and handling. My experience was that squaring off was much less pronounced than stock.

I replaced with EXPs. MUCH stickier, amazing handling. But much poorer life. I'm estimating I'm about a third to a half way through the tread with 3K miles on them. I haven't noticed much if any squaring off though. I think the rubber compound is supposed to get stickier as you approach the edges so the sides wear faster. Anyone confirm?

I think I'll probably go back to the tourances based on wear life alone, but if I had the money to replace tires more often I would probably stick the EXPs for their handling capabilities.

Trail handling for both tires is about the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have EXP om my Vee and they feel great I had to cahnge the tires when I got the bike in November as the old Trailwings had been laid up for 6 months and I had no confidence in them. This is my first DP bike and the EXP give great feedback, I have been able to lean the bike all the way to the blobs on the foot pegs in the dry, have only done about 1500 miles so far and they still have the look of new tires
Darren

·
Registered
797 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a stickier tire compound imply quicker tire wear? You stick to the road, so you leave more rubber on it. It makes sense, at least in my warped little mind. Can one actually expect equal wear between a more sticky and a less sticky tire?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a stickier tire compound imply quicker tire wear? You stick to the road, so you leave more rubber on it. It makes sense, at least in my warped little mind. Can one actually expect equal wear between a more sticky and a less sticky tire?
I suppose if the sticky tire came with more tread depth to begin with its possible, but in general I believe your correct. For exp vs reg tourance i didn't expect it to last as long. Also didn't expect to get only half the life from it...

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
The claim, or maybe just the pre-production hope at least, is that the tire is manufactured with a variation of material so that you have longer wearing properties on the top and grippier properties on the side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm running EXP

I've had the EXPs on now for just over 3000 miles. I have NOT run the regular Tourance. I *really* like these tires. They are wearing fairly fast but my aggressive riding and rough roads eat up most brands. The more I ride these, the more I'm convinced that I'll buy another set, despite the wear. I doubt I'll get 6000 miles out of the rear. For reference I only got 9000 out of the Trailwings and 5000 out of a Continental Road Attack (which was great at first but got really awful after 3000 miles).

For my riding style, where *on pavement* stickiness is essential, including wet, sand and gravel on the road, dry, broken pavement, paint stripes, etc... these are the right tires for the job. I don't want to sacrifice that level of confidence for more miles. I only log about 9000 miles a year, so I can see how someone who rides a lot more, especially LONG tours, might want more mileage.

I don't do off-road, and only very limited off-pavement (maybe 3%). When aired down for off pavement, these tires do just great for my limited needs.

Finally: yes they DO have an especially steep profile, and I'm sure that helps with the handling. Anybody who wears these all the way to the edge is doing something I'd never want to consider. Mine have maybe 1/2" strips and only the tips of the elephant's ears are worn off.

·
Registered
594 Posts
No, no, no, no, no. I've blown it. My son and I are leaving on a 9000 mile tour on May 10 and I just had a set of Tourance EXP's put on his bike hoping to last the whole trip. I had read such rave reviews and long life of the Tourance's, but when I went in to buy them my dealer informed me they had been upgraded to the Tourance EXP's, so that's what I bought. They just put them on today. I haven't picked up the bike yet, but what can I do now?

This is horrible. Now we'll end up somewhere in California or Oregon searching for an in-stock set of Trailwings and wasting a day waiting for a dealer. Not to mention another $400-$500 on the credit card.

I'm pretty pissed at Metzler for using the same name on this tire. If they were going to a stickier, shorter lasting tire, they should have went to a new name altogether. IMO, when you use the same name and add a suffix, you are implying they are at least equal in every way and hopefully upgraded in some way.

Now I'm screwed.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't imagine why they found the need to screw with this tire - it had a great balance between wet grip, dry grip, and tire wear just the way it was.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I was in Apex of Colorado Springs today, as I only have about 500-1,000 miles left on my stockers and I am certainly going with a Tourance. They had both tires side by side and.....I just like the look of the older tire. So, I will not be choosing the EXP.

I have heard that several are getting well over 10k miles on the original Tourance's. That sold me!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
EXP wear life sucks

I recently completed a 6500 mile trip on my DL650. Left home with fresh EXPs front and rear. Got to ride in some serious water during the tornadoes in Mississippi and Louisiana on April 4 and the tires did work very well in the wet. However, the rear one was gone at 4,000 miles resulting in my having to buy a new tire IN MEXICO. Trust me, you really don't want to do that unless you have too.

I bit the bullet and paid US$220 for a Pirelli Scorpion S/T (MT90) in Hermosillo. Truth is I was happy to find a tire in the correct size at any price since it's damned hard to find tires for big bikes down there. BTW, Yamaha of Hermosilla is good shop if you ever need one in that part of the world - most are just greasy little hole-in-the-wall places down there.

So, after the 2,500 mile return trip the Pirelli shows only light wear and no squaring off. And, it feels great all the way to the edge of the tread on dry pavement. The front tire now has 6500 miles and is showing significant wear but it does grip confidently on asphalt. However, I speak from experience when I say it will instantly throw you on your ass in deep sand. Anyhow, I'm guessing 8 - 10K miles from the front tire.

However, no more EXPs for me - too much $$ for the limited life.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I currently have Scorpion S/Ts front and back on my bike. I think they're a great handling and gripping tire - on warm, dry pavement. In cold and/or wet conditions they don't inspire confidence, for me at least. The rear has worn well, though - I thought it was getting rather squared off, a little soon I thought, until I realized it probably over 13,000 km on it, many of them highway droning miles at a good speed.

So, does the regular Tourance still exist? If not, I guess maybe Anakees will be my next choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, does the regular Tourance still exist?
Sure does! I just got a new regular Tourance on my rear after my second flat with less than 2,000 miles on the previous new tire.

I also got short life with the EXP rear, about 6,000 miles and it was completely squared off and down to the wear bars. The EXP is a great tire for someone who doesn't put many miles on their bike, but is a poor choice for touring IMO.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just put the old Tourances on my 650. Doing an 11,000 mi Alaska trip in 2 months. I'm believing they will last the whole trip. Have to treat them kindly. The EXP's weren't for me. I could tell by the marketing material that they were more sport oriented with the softer rubber. Softer rubber never lasts long.

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Finally: yes they DO have an especially steep profile, and I'm sure that helps with the handling. Anybody who wears these all the way to the edge is doing something I'd never want to consider. Mine have maybe 1/2" strips and only the tips of the elephant's ears are worn off.
Thank you! I've asked a number of times if anyone else noticed that too. I was about to question if they were sized correctly. They do exceptionally well in the curves, but the wear is significantly further from the edge when compared to the old Tourance profile.

Just put the old Tourances on my 650. Doing an 11,000 mi Alaska trip in 2 months. I'm believing they will last the whole trip. Have to treat them kindly. The EXP's weren't for me. I could tell by the marketing material that they were more sport oriented with the softer rubber. Softer rubber never lasts long.
I got probably at least 20% fewer miles out of my regular Tourances on our ALCAN trip (I changed it early at my convenience, we couldn't take a chance where we would be when it hit the bars). It really depends on the surfaces you normally ride on. The bitumen on back roads in the west and up north might be harsher than your area.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
bring this thread back to life!

so i noticed this thread is a few years old...

i'm wondering if the consensus is still that the EXP's wear faster than the old ones?:confused:

i'm hoping maybe Metzeler improved upon the EXP for a longer life...:mrgreen:

i'm coming up on need new tires and decided to go Tourances, I just don't know which one...but I do know if the EXP's have less life then I will be going to the old school ones.

thanks for any replies or updates on these two tires! :thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I currently have about 1000 miles on a combination of an EXP on the front and a regular Tourance on the rear. I read somewhere on the forums that the original "wore like iron"(good on the rear) and the EXP was stickier which to me meant that it would not last as long but would be more confidence inspiring in the twisties. I like the way the Wee handles(I don't go off road) with this set up and am figuring that I will run 2 fronts to 1 rear. If it doesn't work out that way, I'll try something else, probably Anakee II's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts