StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeking out a variety of gravel roads since putting the tourance's on the L2 (glee, if you must). They're very similar in tread pattern to the OE Trailwings, and as such -- are passable when it's fairly firm -- but don't inspire confidence in deeper gravel or sandy stretches or crossing gravel ridges between wheel tracks. I really do miss the ease of the Mitas E07's on gravel.

They'll certainly (just) do for the 70/30 riding I do -- and I ride mostly by myself -- so there's no one to keep up with. I changed them over from the very worn Mitas' after being left in wake of a new (but very experienced) L3 rider as she found her mojo on the great winding roads from Armidale to Dorrigo and Grafton. She let me in on her trailing rear brake cornering technique over lunch. Thankfully I was able to return the favour, imparting some slow riding and U-turn skills on a recent weekend, when we also practiced picking up VStroms from the ground solo.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I loved the Tourances on the rear, especially on wet bitumen and passable on the dirt, as you say. But I'll be sticking with the Mitas now for it's dirt road and loose gravel handling, and just slow down a bit on wet roads :yesnod:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
"I loved the Tourances on the rear, especially on wet bitumen and passable on the dirt, as you say. But I'll be sticking with the Mitas now for it's dirt road and loose gravel handling, and just slow down a bit on wet roads :yesnod: "

Chops is my ventriloquist dummy.... his words are actually mine. :fineprint:
:green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol:

The Mitas will be my tyre for the ability they give on dirt while still handling tar in a good manner (as good on tar as the Tourance, and I find them no worse in the wet than the Tourance... but I'm cautious on wet roads anyway).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
"I loved the Tourances on the rear, especially on wet bitumen and passable on the dirt, as you say. But I'll be sticking with the Mitas now for it's dirt road and loose gravel handling, and just slow down a bit on wet roads :yesnod: "

Chops is my ventriloquist dummy.... his words are actually mine. :fineprint:
:green_lol: :green_lol: :green_lol:

The Mitas will be my tyre for the ability they give on dirt while still handling tar in a good manner (as good on tar as the Tourance, and I find them no worse in the wet than the Tourance... but I'm cautious on wet roads anyway).
They are my words, so get your hand out of my ass :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Ock + Chops -- fully in agreement there. I'll go back to Mitas after these wear out I'm thinking

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently have a Tourance on the front and a Mitas E07 on the rear. Really like the Mitas and will be sticking with those for both front and rear next set. I find the Tourance doesn't get much purchase on the loose stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What sort of K's are people getting out of the Tourance and the Mitas E07 please, as looking for something long wearing being my daily traveler.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
K60's are the only tyre I know that's good on gravel and has decent life.

I went back to a shorter wearing tyre that's a lot lighter and still passable on gravel. My dirt riding is fairly infrequent these days and I really didn't need to be riding as fast as I could on the K60's.

Pete

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Tourance rear... 14,000>16,000 (multiple sets)

Anakee 2 rear... 13,000

Mitas E07 rear... 18,000

I'm so impressed with the Mitas E07 for wear, grip, and general road/dirt use I've just fitted another to the rear of the Wee and have just ordered one for the DR650 as well (I already have a 21" front in the shed for the DR).

The E07 is a big step up on the dirt compared to the Tourance and Anakee without noticeable loss of road ability.

If you are looking at other similar tyres to the Mitas there is the K60, but I personally feel the profile on them is too square.. and they are a lot dearer for similar grip and wear.

Horses for courses, the Tourance was my "go to" tyre for when I was doing less dirt, but now the Mitas gets the nod. :thumbup:

(you can drop a Mefo Explorer on the front to save a few dollars if you want to, they mix perfectly with the E07 :wink5: )

·
Registered
527 Posts
I changed out a rear Tourance for the Mitas E07 a week ago, immediate improvement and sure footedness on the rear lane gravel. The wet tar wasn't an issue even with it being a new tyre. Very pleased! :thumbsup:

:cheers2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks heaps guys.

Had the Metzler ME880 on the rear of the GTR, great life so had ordered the Tourance, but now it looks as if I'll head towards the Mitas E07 next to try. I mainly use as a daily and so road running, but do want the K's from the tyre.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Have used various?

Hi,
Initially I had the standard Trailwings, they were good lasting for road use, I was 99% commuting on the highways, so it was ok in all conditions, managed 26,000kms! :thumbup:

I then went to Anakee 2 for the rear, also a great road tyre! Plenty of grip in all "road" conditions and excellent wear, approx 31,000kms! :thumbup::thumbup:

Now on the rear I have fitted a Mitas E-07 as I was looking for a 50/50 road/trail tyre. So far I've put on approx 2,000kms and I love it! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I rode the bike with this tyre combined with a Heidenau K60 on the front recently on some forest roads, it was my first time with the Wee on the dirt and the bike felt very solid for grip! :thumbup:

When the front wears out I will definitely put a Mitas on the front, maybe even the Mitas E-10 Dakar as I now have the bug for more dirt rides! :thumbup:

The Mitas tyres are great value for money!

I haven't used the Tourance tyres, but have heard good reports for them as well. It's really up to what riding you do the most at the moment.

Hope this helps,
Mike
:cheers2:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My E07's do daily tar commuting, long distance interstate touring with mixed highway and dirt... well loaded down with gear, and of course the obligatory days in the mountains on dirt roads and tracks.

With that mix I got 18k off the last rear, had a look at today as it is still in the shed... with enough tread for another 2k>3k of roadworthy road riding. :jawdrop:
I change my tyres out early most of the time. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Tyres are round things made generally of rubber and almost always in black. After that the grip level is something that only Noddies worry excessively about.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
After reading so many positive comments in regards to the Mitas E07 tires, I will definately give them a try next time.

As most of my riding is from home to work and back 4km's x 4 times per day (really not good for the bike me thinks) the Michelin Anakee 3's are brilliant as well as good long days on the hard tops and twisties than the tourances before them but the Anakee 3's make me more than twice as nervous on the dirt than the tourances ever did...I just don't trust them like I did with the Tourances.

Heidenaus look too aggresive for what I'll ever use them for so perhaps the EO7's are a good alternative otherwise it's back to the Tourances.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Grip level is something smart riders are concerned with.... only Noddies think all tyres are round and almost always black. :fineprint:

1- Grip
2- Wear rate
3- Price

·
Registered
456 Posts
Grip level is something smart riders are concerned with.... only Noddies think all tyres are round and almost always black. :fineprint:

1- Grip
2- Wear rate
3- Price
Couldnt have put it any better Ock, Some people are just dicks!!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some people are just dicks!!!!
My guess would be that what we're commenting on is the typical action of what's called a 'Troll', in internet parlance. In my line of work, i'd say -- a person who, from no action in its formation himself, has a disordered personality -- and is endeavouring to generate emotion.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I replaced a set of Tourances with Mitas 07s late last summer, The tourances were not confidence inspiring at all, Mitas are just ok on gravel, but pretty much suck in wet, I will not be buying another set of either

I am trying to avoid going back to the darkside except for winter, just because of how "funny" they feel at low speeds and irregular surface, however the grip and handling once you get rolling over 25 mph has spoiled me to expect the same from a MC tire

the darkside is a trifecta on oker's scale

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts