StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got around to removing the ugly warning stickers from my bike yesterday. Unfortunately even with a hair dryer the stickers on the tank were a huge gummy mess to remove. I tried Goo-Gone but it didn't do anything at all for me. I used soap and hot water and a sponge... Then at some point while in the act of repeatedly dropping the sponge into the bucket and squeezing it out before rubbing, I rubbed the tank with the scouring side of the sponge (I only have the "Scotch Brite" types of sponges) and have a nice haze of circular scratches where the warning stickers were :(

I've covered it up with a carbon fiber Pro Grip tank protector:

but there are still grayish scratch patterns to be seen between the "spikes".

Any suggestions? Is there a larger tank protector out there than this one, or is there some kind of touch up paint marker I could use? (If desperate I will remove and re-apply the Pro Grip protector after laying down a bed of black tape, but that's a move of last resort.)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's too late now, but a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol or Naptha and applied to the glue for a minute will dissolve it. Goo-Gone might have worked too if given application time instead of rubbing. If you haven't scratched through the clear coat, rubbing compound will take out the scratches.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GW. It looks like removing the Pro-Grip Tank Protector would be just as a big of a pain or worse as removing the OEM warning stickers, so I'll try to get some Turtle Wax compound through the edges of the Pro-Grip :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's too late now, but a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol or Naptha and applied to the glue for a minute will dissolve it. Goo-Gone might have worked too if given application time instead of rubbing. If you haven't scratched through the clear coat, rubbing compound will take out the scratches.
I think rob was referring to the middle of the tank, not the side panels. As far as I know, there's no clear coat on that middle part of the tank.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I'm sure it's painted. If it's clear coated, rubbing compound will not lift color. If color starts to show, the clear coat is penetrated.

If not clear coated, the compound will show color immediately and care must be taken to not penetrate the color coat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tank protector

My stickers came off alright but I made my own tank protector. It's 3M black reflective only because that's what matched the best in the daylight. I cut it on the vinyl cutter I have at work. I could easily make them out of any color or even clear for that matter. I didn't think about just using clear until after I was done. It protects a much larger area than most of the available protectors out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would be interested in a clear and possibly slightly larger one. Im thinking this could help protect the paint with a magnetic tank bag?

Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
A tech Spec (techspec.com I think) center piece would cover over this and look good too. You can get them in a kit with the side pieces. I've got them on a couple of bikes and like them. I will add to the Orange Blossom Special soon.

JDP

·
Registered
242 Posts
It is techspec-usa.com and they don't have the ones for the 2012 listed, but they do have them if you call them. I got that info just recently and waiting until my credit card cools down since too hot to touch right now :(.

JDP

·
Registered
710 Posts
3M Finesse-It and a lot of elbow grease will make the swirl marks look a lot better if not remove them all the way. If the marks are too deep, use rubbing compound then follow with Finesse-It.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would be interested in a clear and possibly slightly larger one. Im thinking this could help protect the paint with a magnetic tank bag?

Dave
I will cut some clear ones. I was thinking about a larger one that pretty much covers the entire exposed metal part of the tank to the back of the filler hole. The current one is pretty large but I did notice that my Tanklock tank slightly rubbed the tank above it when I had some heavy stuff in it. As you all probably know by now you barely have to breathe on the matte paint to scuff it. Installing clear is a little more finicky and you will initially see a little bit of air in the adhesive but after a week on the bike it will settle and be fine as long as you didn't get any huge pieces of dirt or something under it. The problem with going larger is mailing costs. I think the size it is now will fit in a cardboard USPS envelope just fine. I had also thought about making it two pieces. The tank has a pretty good compound curve to it also. The part pictured is just small enough that installation is pretty easy even without a heat gun as long as you start in the middle and go slow.

Just to let you know, the part pictured is approximately 7" x 7" (tapers toward bottom obviously). I'll make one as big as I can that will still fit within an 8.5" x 11" mailing envelope and see where we get with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will cut some clear ones. I was thinking about a larger one that pretty much covers the entire exposed metal part of the tank to the back of the filler hole. The current one is pretty large but I did notice that my Tanklock tank slightly rubbed the tank above it when I had some heavy stuff in it. As you all probably know by now you barely have to breathe on the matte paint to scuff it. Installing clear is a little more finicky and you will initially see a little bit of air in the adhesive but after a week on the bike it will settle and be fine as long as you didn't get any huge pieces of dirt or something under it. The problem with going larger is mailing costs. I think the size it is now will fit in a cardboard USPS envelope just fine. I had also thought about making it two pieces. The tank has a pretty good compound curve to it also. The part pictured is just small enough that installation is pretty easy even without a heat gun as long as you start in the middle and go slow.

Just to let you know, the part pictured is approximately 7" x 7" (tapers toward bottom obviously). I'll make one as big as I can that will still fit within an 8.5" x 11" mailing envelope and see where we get with it.
Let me know how much and i will take you up on that. I didnt think about two pieces but thats a great idea, i would be willing to give that a try.

Drex

·
Registered
536 Posts
It is techspec-usa.com and they don't have the ones for the 2012 listed, but they do have them if you call them.
This is what I got from techspec today in an email:

"We do have a Custom Kit for the Suzuki 2012 DL650. Since its a custom kit we haven't been able to add it to our website. Below is the part # and list price.

62-3003-SS, GRIPSTER, SUZ, V-STROM DL650/1000 (2012) Includes Tank Pro #5, Retail Price $64.95"

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is what I got from techspec today in an email:

"We do have a Custom Kit for the Suzuki 2012 DL650. Since its a custom kit we haven't been able to add it to our website. Below is the part # and list price.

62-3003-SS, GRIPSTER, SUZ, V-STROM DL650/1000 (2012) Includes Tank Pro #5, Retail Price $64.95"
I think that's the one I got from them, also some custom side panels, not sure about the part number, call them-they are nice people to deal with! Cheers--BB

·
Administrator
17,020 Posts
Hairdryer+rubbing alcohol or WD40+ microfiber towels are your friend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts