StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a decent GPS? I am a total noob to these things but am in that learning curve. I am not looking for the top of the line, just decent usability. I have read some of the treads, but most don't list specifics of the units. Please take a look at these specs and let me know on a scale from 1-10. Thanks!

GPS navigation system

Detailed mapping (latest version) of US & Canada preloaded

Turn by turn voice instructions while navigating

Door to door driving directions

Itinerary planning: plan your trip by defining multiple waypoints & destinations

Numbers of signal receiver: 20 channels

Precision of locating: > 10m

Antenna: with GPS internal antenna & reserved external GPS antenna jack

Capacity

2GB SD card

128MB internal flash memory

Holds up to 500 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format

Holds up to 6,250 photos

Stores data via USB flash drive

Display

3.5-inch (diagonal) TFT touch screen with blue-white LED backlight

320-by-240-pixel resolution

Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Anti-glare screen: always an optimal view, even in direct sunlight

Audio

Sound output: Stereo

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Skip-free playback

Audio formats supported: ACT, ASF, MP3, WAV and WMA

User-configurable maximum volume limit

7 presets EQ: rock, natural, soft, pop, classic, jazz, DBB

6 playing modes: normal, repeat one, repeat folder, repeat all, random, intro

2 replaying mode: manual replay, auto replay

Video

Convert WMV, MPG, MPEG I, MPEG II, AVI, etc movie files to be viewed by AMV

Video out: CVBS, NTSC

Video out voltage: 1.0Vpp/75ohm

Photo storage

Built in picture/photo viewer

Convert JPEG, GIF, SWF, PIC, etc picture files to be viewed by AMV

Additional features

Built-in clock

e-Book (supports TXT, IRC files)

Calendar

Integrated speaker

Super slim

Headphones

Earphones

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Impedance: 32 ohms

System specification

CPU: 400MHZ

Chipset: SAMSUNG S3C2440A-40

IC: Sirf StarIII

SDROM: 64MB

Memory size: 64MB

Engine software storage: SD card

Firmware editor: ARMV4

Operating system

WinCE 4.2

Mac system requirements

Macintosh computer with USB 2.0 port

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

Plug and play (no driver needed)

Windows system requirements

PC with USB 2.0

Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later

Plug and play (no driver needed)

Languages

Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Environmental requirements

Operating temperature: 14° to 140° F (-10° to 60° C)

Non-operating temperature: -4° to 158° F (-20° to 70° C)

Relative humidity: 45% to 80% non-condensing

Maximum operating air pressure: 860MBar ~ 1060MBar

Input and output

USB 2.0 cable

3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

Power & battery

Built-in 1100mAH rechargeable lithium ion battery

Up to 5 working hours when fully charged

Up to 400 standby hours when fully charged

Average power: 1.5W

DC in: 5V

Charging via power adapter

Fast-charge time: about 1.5 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)

Full-charge time: about 3 hours

In the box

Brand new portable GPS navigation system w/ Maps, MP3/MP4 + free 2GB SD card

USB 2.0 cable

Power adapter

Earphones

Windshield dock

User’s manual

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It looks like it has pretty much all the features you would need as far as the unit itself goes. A few things I noticed though:

o It doesn't give specifics about the GPS system itself, as in time to resolve satellites, time to recalculate when off-route, things like that though.

o It also says, and this might have been a typo, "Precision of locating: > 10m". Greater than 10M? It should be LESS than 10 meters.

o Does it have the ability to find features? For example, the ability to find the nearest gas station, restaurant, hotel, etc. to where you are is a great thing.

o Does it have "Track Logs"? My Garmins will automatically store a point every few seconds. I can use that track to get back to a place I was, see what roads I've been on, etc. Not essential but a nice feature to have.

o Does it keep trip records? Max speed, distance traveled, total time, etc. Again, not essential but nice to have.

o Can you get it to mount on a bike? A windshield mount may not work well.

It also doesn't give any details of whether or not there is any software that runs on your computer itself. I normally lay out my trips on my computer software and then upload them to the GPS. You really need a means to upload / download files to and from the GPS. There is obviously "Something" that runs on the computer (hence the system requirements) but it would be nice to know what that "Something" is capable of. There is some freeware software round that is pretty decent but the GPS would have to support one of the standard GPS waypoint definitions.

Depending on the price it could be a good unit. I'd want to know more about the software first though.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the rest, but I figure I can convert the mount to the bike somehow. I got this unit for under $90 to the door. I thought if nothing else, it would get me broke in to the GPS world. That way I can see what I would really want in my next one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
good stuff

Where did you get it I want one too

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I don't know about the rest, but I figure I can convert the mount to the bike somehow. I got this unit for under $90 to the door. I thought if nothing else, it would get me broke in to the GPS world. That way I can see what I would really want in my next one.
Hell yeah, for that price it would be hard to beat. GPS units are much like computers. I've heard the phrase, "I don't know what I'd do with it ... " so many times I can't count them. Most of those people start to realize what they can do with it as soon as they start using it. I think you'll find that a GPS is like that, you really don't realize how much you would miss it until you've had one for a while.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You get what you pay for. I have the Garmin Quest. Got it for a Xmas present last year. It's been sent into the factory and couldn't be repaired. The one they sent me back had problems digesting the map program but they do have excellent phone support service. All is well now.

These things are like computers only nastier. I would buy the service not the box. That's why Garmin charges pretty big $$.

I'd venture to guess the GPS that costs $90 is a hunk of junk.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Quest 2 in my car and on the bike for the last month or so, and I really like it. Waterproof, small, good battery life, pre-loaded maps, etc. Mine was about $300 shipped though from another member on ADVRider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quest

I will probably purchase a quest from all of you all's input...how do you mount it on the bike?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I used a pro-fit universal mounting bracket with the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit, all mounted onto the Pat Walsh radar shelf. Works well, it does bounce around a bit.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I will probably purchase a quest from all of you all's input...how do you mount it on the bike?
Buy the RAM mount and the Garmin bracket and power kit if you want to go handlebar. A good RAM dealer will point you in the right direction. There's also a Garmin sold bicycle handlebar mount if you pedal or ATV. I like the beanbag mount for my truck as here in FLA (Best Buy normally stocks that), the windshield suction cup mount can't handle the heat.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
90 Posts
which GPS to get

I am still at a loss on which gps to buy. Is the Quest's screen large enough for the bike. many of you all have the quest so I am leaning more in that direction, but I also like the Magellan crossover....anyone have any input?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
With the Quest, the screen is visible but the road turbulance at highway speed is challenging. What you can see is distance to the next turn, the banner at the top shows the cross streets, the REAL speed and the thing works. I wish it had more internal memory. Mine basically holds 3 larger sized states. If you want to use it in your other vehicles, that's the one to get. If not there's bigger and better.

Rod

·
Registered
645 Posts
HandyHiker, looking at the specs, it is quite an impressive unit, at least the hardware. Being a Windows CE device, I'd be curious what GPS software it is running. Also, try to find out the source of the map data. TeleAtlas and Navteq are the big players and both have fairly up-to-date and accurate maps; at least as good as any. Other sources might not be as reliable.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Edge Navigation

Well a year ago I decide to take the plunge into the world of GPS. Wow I didn't know what I was missing.

Any way I bought a Garmin 2610 for $195. It was refurbished and came with a full factory warranty along with all the Software.

I got this unit from Edge Navigation. Google it and you will find them. They have other units but I wanted to get into it cheap in case I didn't really like it.

Also if you google Garmin you can find their pages and it will do comparisons of units for you, like in a spreadsheet style.

Good luck and good navigating.

Bright Side :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts