StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got my v-strom friday night and love it. The seating position is far superior to my ninja 500 but the one thing that I notice is how quickly my hands fall asleep when riding. I'm talking about 10 minutes before numb!
Can this be solved by adding some handlebar risers?
Here are the specs I am about 6'1" and my reach is about 35". When riding my arms are not quite fully extended. If I were to get some risers to move up and towards me would that help?
So I guess the general question is what are risers used for specifically other than "comfort"? In other words, what should moving up solve, What does moving in solve, what does doing both solve...
Any other suggestions for how to not go numb so quickly would be greatly appreciated as well.

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got my DL1000k today! I noticed a bit of numbness as well but my ride was about 250 miles and it mostly started near the end when it got really windy and I had to hold on a bit more to correct as it kept blowing me sideways.

I usually ride with a fairly loose grip and hug the tank with my knees as having a death grip usually translates into too much unintentional rider feedback on the bars which causes oscillations and works against the suspension somewhat (read Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code if you haven't already, its a great book!)

Try to loosen your grip a bit as that might help a little. I've heard the "Bar Snake" also works to take out some vibes.

Not sure if the risers will do much but haven't tried that myself as the stock bars seem about the right height to me.

Good luck and keep us posted with whatever you try!

·
Registered
852 Posts

sactownridder,

The "fit" of a motorcycle is the most important thing to consider. Let's be totally honest here, if it does not fit you comfortably, you are not going to be happy riding it and it will cause irritation, which will detract from you alertness.

Risers are something I have on my Strom. I also tilted the stock handlebars back a few degrees to relieve a bit of the pressure on the wrists when riding. My footpegs are a bit lower thanks to MotorcycleLarry's footpeg lowering adaptors and a set of IMS footpegs.

My bike fits me very well now and is quite comfortable.

Try this: get your bike set up, then head up to Redding and have a steak at "Jack's Steakhouse". I'll bet it makes for a great ride!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree with what others have suggested for you. You could put on Grip Puppies for the hand grips as well. I would suggest you get as much riding time as possible. After you make the suggested changes you will probably find you don't have a problem after all.

HTH's

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
my hands go numb too. not sure if it's ergonomics or v-twin vibration. i plan to experiement with two solutions:

1) crampbusters ... a plastic slip-on device for the twistgrip that allows you to control the throttle while gripping very loosely. i find i can delay the onset of numbness if i focus on gripping the throttle loosely ... and the crampbuster helps you do this. http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/crampbuster.html

2) hunter flatbars ... a more extreme solution that replaces the final 5 or 6 inches of your handlebar with an aluminum vibration damper. people who have tried it swear by it. http://www.hunterflatbars.com/

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I was also having some numbness issues although it took longer than 10 min for me. It felt like I was always just between leaning into the bars and sitting up. The first thing I did was adjust the bars back a bit since that was the easiest thing to do and it helped a bit.
I got a deal on some genmar up and back risers and after I installed them the difference was like night and day!! No more cramping or numbness at all.

I also got a crampbuster and grip puppies from CalSport Touring and now I'm a very happy puppie:-D

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Stance vs. vibration

Sactown -

First thing to determine is what's the cause of your numbness - vibration, hand/wrist position, or weight on your hands. If you are not feeling a lot of vibration right off the bat, I would guess that's not the issue.

Look at your hand position when you're seated in riding position - are your wrists bent back? That's a classic position for causing nerve issues like numbness and repetitive stress. If that's happening, try having someone hold the bike up for you in the garage/driveway and play around with how upright you sit until you can hold your wrists in a more neutral position. If you can't achieve that with the current or rotated handlebar position, then risers or a new bar may be in your future.

If your wrists are in neutral position, then it may be the amount of weight you're placing on your hands. Again, sitting more upright may help here - do the same driveway experiment.

Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
216 Posts
I switched to gel grips, fixed the problem. You might also try heavier bar end weights.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
I'm also 6'1" with a 34" reach. I bought the Wee used with the 1" up 1" back risers already on (also moved up from a EX 500). My rides have been as long as 500 miles in a day and had no discomfort at all. Don't know how it would be without them but, its so comfortable that I have no reason to try changing back.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Up and backs worked great for my wrist pain and Grip Puppies helped with the hand cramps. The grips are too thin, the Grip puppies allowed me to relax my grip some. Bout time to replace them, though. They're about 9 months old and loosing some of their cush.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i want to give a second... or is it third... recommendation for the crampbuster. works very well.

from riding dirt machines i know that many times numb hands can come from grabbing hold too tightly. especially in those 'holy shit' situations when you're not paying attention to form. the crampbuster allows me to relax both hands and i can go 8 hours without hand issues. i don't like big grips, though. i prefer smaller grips for numbness.

just goes to show you'll have to try several things and some you'll toss on the crap heap and some you'll keep, either way you'll need to get your positioning happy before you can be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Other than making a concerted effort to keep your grip relaxed and wrist straight, the cheap solution is to try a bar adjustment and grip puppies first.

One other addition I made was an NEP cruise control/throttle lock. They are also cheap and allow you to remove your grip from the throttle and flex your hand a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the input.
I am pretty sure that it is not vibration and I also don't think that it is my grip. I often times will just rest my hands on top of the bars just to make sure and my hands still go to sleep. I think I am going to give the risers a shot just to see if it helps.
I have also been thinking about the cramp buster and grip puppies so I will probably try those first since they are just a bit less expensive ;)
Regardless I'll keep ya updated.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Just had an off-the-wall thought: does your jacket bind in the armpits? I've got a ballistic vest that can cut off circulation to my arms if it's not sitting *just* right.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Try this: get your bike set up, then head up to Redding and have a steak at "Jack's Steakhouse". I'll bet it makes for a great ride!

Unbelievable.... someone else knows about Jack's?

What a dingy little hole in the wall! Great Steaks, been around forever, definitely has some serious character.

NorCal Rob
Redding, CA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts