StromTrooper banner

Total Headlight Failure

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Dalez20 
#1 · (Edited)
My headlights have gone out on my '05 strom. To keep the explanation simple, when the connectors to the headlights are UNPLUGGED, they have full voltage across the pins (I think the voltmeter showed ~12V across the low beam wire and ~2V across the high beam wire) on both connectors. However, once you attach either one to the their respective bulb, all voltage drops to 0 in the wires. The bulbs are in working order. I ran some wires from a 12V battery to them and they both lit up fine.
So, I have voltage to the connectors (unplugged from bulbs) and working bulbs, but when you link them... no more voltage/light? Now, I am not a electrical guy so I cannot determine for the life of me what is causing this problem. Any ideas? Brushed through some forums with similar problems and people seemed to mention the relay often, but didn't find anyone with my specific problem...:confused:

Note: all other electrics work fine... just headlights out.

#2 ·
I have seen in house wiring where a burnt switch would put out enough voltage to register good on a meter but not enough to light the bulbs. Does the starter button kill the lights. 110 watts can burn the contacts after years of use.

#3 ·
Eastern Beaver to the rescue, hopefully after you have cleaned up the contacts that have burnt up.
Mine, 04 Wee lasted 80K+ before I installed an EB cable arrangement.
It's a well documented situation.
I recently installed LED's. so that otta work mo bettah too.

#4 ·
Starter button is the most likely cause & yes a volt meter can show a voltage but the wire or switch can't carry a load, a test light is best.

There is a sticky on this for headlight problems.

Reactions: Gert
#5 ·
The Eastern Beaver kit will prevent this from happening. But it won't fix it after the damage is done. You will need a new starter switch, or fix the contacts in the one you have. The headlight power runs through this switch and over time they can and do corrode/wear on some bikes and quit conducting.

However you get it fixed, the Eastern Beaver relay kit is a very nice upgrade. Gives full voltage to the lights and there almost no load on those pesky starter switch contacts with this kit. Headlights will be noticeably brighter too!

#7 ·
If you don't trust us, then use the "google" search button at the top of the page. It directly searches this site above others to find relevant threads.
Type in "headlights quit working"

Do your homework and you will find confidence in our advice.

There are many, many cases exactly like yours. Your symptoms are not new. Correct answers are already posted.

#9 ·
I took apart the starter module. The contacts looked good (so I think, first pic). That said I cleaned them off with wd40 and tried using both the connection on the button and my own clamp wires to simulate the connection the button would produce upon start up and rest. Still nothing for the headlights though. Ideas? Unless I’m looking at this wrong or working in the wrong area

Attachments

#11 ·
If the hot side is good check the ground side. Are the lights completely dead? Or is there a tiny glow happening in pitch darkness. Try feeding the light circuit directly with a fused wire direct from battery. Unplug one bulb and touch the wire to the high or lo slot. The other bulb should light. You can then work backwards proving the circuit as you go. High low switch. Starter switch etc. You said low showed 12v and high about 2v? that may point to the high lo switch as both should be the same I would think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.