StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the man himself:

"I’m thrilled to announce that Total Control Training, Inc. has been awarded the PA Motorcycle Safety Program contract for 2018. The five-year, $31 million program management contract is the largest of its kind in the nation. All of us at Total Control are both humbled and excited about the opportunity to add PA to our CA, military and civilian training portfolio. We have been amazed at the quality and attitude of the PA training community and look forward to working with them as we transition the state to our Total Control curricula for beginner, intermediate, advanced, 3 wheel and more.

- Lee Parks"​

Congrats team!

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
"$31 million program management contract"

Wonder what that will do to the cost of participation? When I took the MSF decades ago it was not a wallet breaker.
Not that one would not learn a lot but how dear is that training?
Seems little, if anything, in the future will be subsidized.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Wonder what that will do to the cost of participation? When I took the MSF decades ago it was not a wallet breaker.
California Motorcyclist Safety Program

Lee Parks Total Control is the primary contractor in CA for Motorcycle Safety courses...my guess is that these types of companies will replace most state run classes. Lee Parks is certainly qualified to run this program and the dollar value for 15 hours of classroom time plus 10 hours of riding time is not unreasonable. It costs considerably more to take 25 credit hours of college classes at a community college.
I am in favor of this type of program as educated riders make more proficient riders. Now lets look for a way to help fund it for those who may not be as able to afford this type of training.

·
Registered
625 Posts

In PA this is funded by DMV fees for motorcyclists, and I don't think this will change. There isn't a fee for residents to take training.

The PA Motorcycle Safety Program management has been through open bid for at least a few years now. Before Total Control, it was Cape Fox Professional Services. Before Cape Fox, I think it was PennDOT itself, and it was MSF curriculum for as long as I remember.

I am curious what curriculum changes will be made, and what the timeline will be for them. This is actually an interesting plot twist for me, because I let my MSF certification lapse this year for lack of instruction time - life got in the way. Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped me from the roster, but it would be good to get back into it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In CA, $258 max for over 21....$180 for under 21 according to link.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
That's very large of them. Not to complain but I think the fee when I took it was a tenth of that. We rode down sized dinosaurs.
We'd like you to learn safety but it's gonna cost you. What a splendid idea. So how it less expensive to train someone under 21?
Maybe they only retain half as much?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
That's very large of them. Not to complain but I think the fee when I took it was a tenth of that. We rode down sized dinosaurs.
We'd like you to learn safety but it's gonna cost you. What a splendid idea. So how it less expensive to train someone under 21?

California requires motor cycle safety training for riders under 21.

The state probably subsidizes the training.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Think of paying 2 instructors for almost 20 hrs of quality training, each + classroom material + classroom rent + other classroom expenses + range rent + range motorcycles + range insurance + a myriad of other related expenses.

California does not subsidize any of the costs. PA does.

Sites don't make an awful lot of money out of this. It really is more like a labor of love.

The point here is that TC's curricula is, arguably, the best one you can find in the country and this is great news for our friends in Pennsylvania. Whether they are taking a Basic, Intermediate or Advanced clinic, they will be learning only the best cornering, braking and survivability techniques needed for real-world riding.

California requires motor cycle safety training for riders under 21.

The state probably subsidizes the training.
Yes, the price is mandated by the state. No, there are no subsidies for sites.

- Ofir

·
Registered
57 Posts
The PA training courses are an excellent resource for us in PA. I have not personally taken advantage of it but I know a few that have. A coworker of mine took the beginner class just a few months ago. He had never ridden any bike or atv or even driven a vehicle with a standard transmission. And now he’s happily riding. The classes always seem full and you either have to book months in advance or travel quite a ways to get to a class that isn’t full. If the new contractor improves an already great program, that is pretty cool. It’s amazing that it’s free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
A friend of mine is an instructor in Orange Co. I don't doubt the need for and benefit derived from taking the courses.
The inflation calculator notes the 1970 $25 in now worth $158.
I still don't understand how it costs more to instruct someone over 21.
Governmental oversight and wisdom, I guess.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
As you age you get more forgetful the instructors have to repeat there instructions several times to get there message across to older riders.. When you get to your 70s and 80s your soft ware package (brain)really gets forget full old people farting in line at the store forgetting to zip up there pants. Forgetting where they parked there Motorcycle, that's why they charge more for older folks...>:)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... I still don't understand how it costs more to instruct someone over 21...
It doesn't but the state mandates the maximum price schools can charge for students under 21. Most schools actually lose money on those students.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts