StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellow V-Stromers

Tired of all the maintenance issues with my beemer so I bought a DL650K7 with 8k miles 2 weeks ago and already put 1500 miles on it and liking every minute of it. Even better now that I put Richland Rick's peg lowering kit on it!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Hey Fellow V-Stromers

Tired of all the maintenance issues with my beemer so I bought a DL650K7 with 8k miles 2 weeks ago and already put 1500 miles on it and liking every minute of it. Even better now that I put Richland Rick's peg lowering kit on it!
Sadly for the Bavarians, you are not unique.

Willkommen im affenhaus!

Norm

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
BMWs are great bikes. I am seriously considering replacing my HD with one.
One ride and you may change your tune. I can repair my own stuff so the maintenace don't scare me.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Scott, some of the newer BMWs have much you cannot do without their electronic diagnostic equipment. A local indie shop tried to simply replace the front brake hoses with longer ones so they could put bar-backs on the bike. They ended up trucking the bike to a BMW dealer to bleed the ABS unit with their proprietary gizmo.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Yeah, I realize that PT but most new bikes need the mother ships computer to fix some things anyway. And, lets face it, the GS looks like the strom should. It just looks right. I have bought bikes before and said never again. But, have not made the BMW misstake yet. And thats how I learn...by making misstakes. I plan on an older one anyway....2002 to 2004 or so.

I can say this, I have spent a lot of saddle time on a 1150adventure. The bike is sweet. Not as fast as the superVee, but close. And there are a bunch on the road...they can not all be wrong.....wait, there are lots of Harleys on the road also....hmmm.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've been hearing luddites bitch about electronics on bikes and cars for as long as I can remember.

Still not having any problems maintaining my bikes or cars myself.

I'm sure you'd get the same line from Suzuki about the ABS requiring a special bleeding procedure. I know they say that about ABS cars. Never had a problem bleeding mine manually.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been hearing luddites bitch about electronics on bikes and cars for as long as I can remember.

Still not having any problems maintaining my bikes or cars myself.

I'm sure you'd get the same line from Suzuki about the ABS requiring a special bleeding procedure. I know they say that about ABS cars. Never had a problem bleeding mine manually.
Agreed. My neighbor mentioned taking his BMW to the dealer for the ABS brake bleed. I've bled them on my FJR lots of times (w/ABS) without any issues. If I stomp on the rears, they still don't lock up. Besides, what does the brake fluid have to do with the ABS sensor anyway? Nuthin'.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Aprilia Caponord

Does anyone have any expirience with the Caponord? My neighbor has one for sale that looks and rides awesome. He bought the Caponord, then bought a 1200GS, now he likes the BMW better purely for the ergos.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the club of v-strom riders that formerly rode BMWs. There are a lot of us.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh yeah....

Tried adjusting your '07's idle without the SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic System) lately? Myself and a friend have the SDS but hear there is a more affordable unit out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts