StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am attempting install of the OEM crash bars. The instruction I have are a little unclear. It says the small M6 bolts attaching the two bars in front of the engine should be tightened to 9,6 Nm. Now, I have never seen a "," used and can only assume they mean 9.6? Could someone please give me the 3 torque values in foot lb. for this install? I found the torque spec chart but I don't know what these bolts are called. The instructions call the bolts M12, M8, and M6, and the chart doesn't list bolt size, just names them.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Other countries uses comma as a decimal point where we in the U. S. use a period.

The M = mertic
12 (or whatever ) = the diameter of the shank in millimeters
If there is another number such as 1.5 or something, that is the thread pitch, the millimeters per thread.
What is not mentioned is the number on the head of the bolt, 8.8 or something that gives the strength class of the bolt.

There are torque tables available on the Internet for fasteners of various materials, strength classes, surface finishes, and lubed or not. The V-Strom repair manual has the torque specs, and as more '12 owners buy the manuals, there will be more with the specif answers for you.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You want 7lb-ft for M6 or 6mm shank hardened bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts