StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping around for an SV lately, partly because I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, fun bike to compliment my DL650, and partly because I like this Suzuki 650 engine.

What I'm wondering about is, if the DL and SV engines are the same, what accounts for the perceived power difference? Initially, I had thought the engines were tuned differently and made different horsepower. But after looking at the specs it appears they are one and the same. I assume the gearing is different between the two bikes, so maybe that, coupled with the lighter weight of the SV, creates the extra punch felt by the SV which is not felt with the DL. Or, am I mistaken and is the perceived-from-the-saddle power of the SV pretty similar to the DL?

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a power difference between the two engines. About 7HP top end for the SV and about 5 HP mid range for the DL.

Cams, and flywheel weight (static torque) are also different.

This PDF talks a bit about that, I found it on here somewhere: http://www.mts.net/~smpotter/Files/

Quote:

POWERTRAIN
Its engine is Suzuki’s latest version of the
645cc, DOHC, 90°, four-valve V-twin.
Completely redesigned last year to be
shorter front to back and now fuel-injected
via excellent dual-butterfly throttles, it is
remarkably smooth and powerful for its
size, just like all the Suzuki 650 V-twins.
However, the DL650 is tuned differently
from the SV models. A weight added to the
starter clutch increases flywheel inertia for
improved smoothness and a more surefooted
response in slippery going. Also,
new camshafts with shorter duration return
more torque in the midrange in exchange
for less power at the top end of the rpm
range. The effect is subtle; from 3400 to
6700 rpm the V-Strom makes more power
than the SV models, with a maximum of
advantage of 5 hp at 5500 rpm (approximately
10% more than the SV engine), but
gives away 7 hp at the peak (62.0 vs. 69.0
hp) and has a lower redline as well, 10,000
rpm to the SV’s 10,500. And although the
raw numbers might make you think this
wasn’t a great trade-off, the DL650’s power
is perfect for everyday use. The SV engines
are actually biased toward top end performance
and not quite as rider-friendly by
comparison, although we know some of you
might argue with that.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I have been shopping around for an SV lately, partly because I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, fun bike to compliment my DL650, and partly because I like this Suzuki 650 engine.

What I'm wondering about is, if the DL and SV engines are the same, what accounts for the perceived power difference? Initially, I had thought the engines were tuned differently and made different horsepower. But after looking at the specs it appears they are one and the same. I assume the gearing is different between the two bikes, so maybe that, coupled with the lighter weight of the SV, creates the extra punch felt by the SV which is not felt with the DL. Or, am I mistaken and is the perceived-from-the-saddle power of the SV pretty similar to the DL?
Cams are different, that's most of it. Not a big difference, but the SV feels faster everywhere, particularly up top. Wee gearing is 15x47, SV is either 15x45 (naked) or 15x44 (S).

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
Just to compare, according to Motor Cyclist hard numbers the SV650 has about the same #'s as the DL1000. The SV650 run 11.87 @ 110.0 mph in the 1/4 and the DL1000 went 11.94 @109.9 mph. The DL had a 60-80 roll-on of 4.48 vrs 4.44 for the 650. I have had 4 SVS's and they are a fun cheap bike. I usually kept an FJR or ST around for my touring duties but use the Wee most of the time now for the lighter weight.
Rich is right, it's mostly in the cams, mapping, gearing, and weight.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Don't forget, the SV also weighs something like 80 lbs. less. A better power to weight ratio counts for a lot.

·
Registered
22,539 Posts
. And although the
raw numbers might make you think this
wasn’t a great trade-off, the DL650’s power
is perfect for everyday use. The SV engines
are actually biased toward top end performance
and not quite as rider-friendly by
comparison, although we know some of you
might argue with that.

-Steve
one of the biggest misrepresentations of the SV I have ever heard, makes it sound like the SV is a supersport race replica 600

while the SV may be tuned for more peak power than the DL, it's still tuned with street usable power in the low and midrange

most of the DLs perceived low and midrange advantage is due to gearing

·
Registered
30 Posts
one of the biggest misrepresentations of the SV I have ever heard, makes it sound like the SV is a supersport race replica 600

while the SV may be tuned for more peak power than the DL, it's still tuned with street usable power in the low and midrange

most of the DLs perceived low and midrange advantage is due to gearing
+1

I keep pushing the SV because its buttery smooth from idle till redline, it doesn't have that hit that the 4 cyl "superbikes" do, its much more rider friendly.

I loved the SV rode about 9K miles on it the first summer i had it, since i've gotten the Strom its been sitting and only taken out on "special" occasions.

Between the two, the strom wins hands down, 26K in under a year, would i sell the SV? no, but would i buy another one? probably not. If the strom got totalled, i'd buy another one no question.

My theory on the SV (mine's a naked) is that with a good rack, a wind screen and bar risers it would make a great "strom" for a short person.

That said, nothing makes me smile more than ripping that throttle open on a straight, its not the fastest, but on a freeway on-ramp, you can get to the 70mph speed limit faster than you can react.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dl & Sv

I currently have both. My DL is, of course, fuel injected. My SV is a gen 1 with carbs and an aftermarket pipe. IMO, the SV does feel quicker but I'm not sure the actual numbers would support that perception. Neither bike has the top-end punch of a 'real' sport bike but both have great torque where it counts. Love that Suzuki v-twin.

BTW Uncle Dave, you're a long way from here but my SV is for sale. Details are here:
http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/sv_forsale/sv_forsale.htm

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
In the linked article from BVI's post, there is a puzzling sentence:

"However, we have noted that Kawasaki has
their own branded version of the 650 VStrom,
and that one is offered in yellow."

Did Kawasaki sell the V-strom 650 as a Kawi? In what markets?

·
Registered
22,539 Posts
In the linked article from BVI's post, there is a puzzling sentence:

"However, we have noted that Kawasaki has
their own branded version of the 650 VStrom,
and that one is offered in yellow."

Did Kawasaki sell the V-strom 650 as a Kawi? In what markets?
NO, Kawasaki & Suzuki had a joint marketng manufaturing agreement that ended a few years ago, mostly they were rebadging dirtbikes and used common parts

they did sell the KLV1000 version of the DL1000 in european markets but never a 650

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.