StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to having watched the movie "ONE WEEK" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14RGvWQzC6I

I've got it in my head to cross Canada on the Wee. Anyone ever done such a thing? How long? What's a reasonable amount of time for such a trip solo? Words of wisdom and advice...I think I must go. Oh and it's about the scenery and adventure and not so much about the escape. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Maiden voyage.

Bobstate, the ride is a treat, and if you suspect that you maybe ought to do it, then I think it works out that you MUST give it a shot.

I set out from Toronto a few days after turning 64, on a brand new Wee-Strom with a heap of satchels and suitcases, no top box and no saddlebags. I had no problems and considered the ride a total success.

I have ridden many thousands of miles in Ontario, and just as many in Florida since moving here in 1989. My longest one-day ride, before the YYZ-YVR-YYZ ride, was 444 miles, in 1965, from Nashville TN to central North Carolina.

I planned to take eight days for the ride westward, and I crossed Yonge Street at noon on a Sunday. I expected to reach Chicago by Tuesday and decide what to do next: roll the useless hunk of iron into Lake Michigan, rent a van and carry the bike west, park it there and go by bus, or simply keep riding.

I didn't reach Chicago by Tuesday. I didn't reach Chicago by Monday. I passed Chicago just before Monday began, in Central Daylight Saving Time.

I watched in awe as the mileage mounted, and reached 567 miles at a rest stop on Interstate Highway 80, about mid-way across Illinois.

I took six days for the ride, about half of the distance being on Interstate Highways, and half on secondary roads. I-80 is dull as dishwater in Iowa and Nebraska. I actually detoured to Denver and Golden Colorado to see some roundabouts, then I went north on CO-125 (wonderful ride) to regain I-80 in Wyoming, and saw terrific scenery in the western half of Wyoming. I wiggled my way to Arco Idaho, and greatly enjoyed US93 from there to Missoula Montana.

I visited the Grand Coulee Dam, then crossed back into Canada at Osoyoos, and went straight (well as straight as the road goes) to Vancouver. My daily mileage was 567 four times, and 495 twice. Six days, tenting four nights and staying in a motel once.

Coming back, I went through Whistler BC and up to 100 Mile House, then jogged back south, east, and north to pick up the Yellowhead Highway, which I took through Edmonton, Saskatoon, and some of Manitoba. I went south of Superior and followed US-2 to I-75, then south to near Flint and back through Sarnia, London, and Toronto. My return ride took five days, 454 miles the first day through BC's interior, then four days all over 600 miles.

I had generally good weather, from June 6 to June 23, 2006.

The same Wee-Strom has taken me to the other provinces and thirty-three states, and I rode it today in Sarasota Florida. It has covered 48600 miles, and has never given me the least bit of trouble.

I'm just an ordinary guy, with no particular training to enhance my stamina, and sure those long days were tiring, but I have had a few days over 700 mile, and one long haul from St. John NB to Toronto in one day, that is 878 miles. Lots of guys ride 1000 miles in a day, but I will never try that.

I hope you do the Vancouver ride. It will show you a country or perhaps two depending on your route, and if you go more slowly than I did it may show you some wonderful people. When you stop and meet them, they are pretty fine all the way out and back.

If scenery is your most important objective, consider BC, Yellowstone (I have never seen it), north of Superior (I saw that on another trip), and the Rocky Mountains (in both countries if you can manage it).

Then go again and have another look. That is what I plan to do in May 2010, on the same Wee-Strom, but this time from Florida.

Best of luck!
Keith

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yep

June 1978. Prince George, BC to Welland, Ont. Two weeks meandering eastward and avoiding the TCH. Bike - 1978 Yamaha SR-500E with everything I had in the world strapped to it (not a lot). Left with $500 arrived with $3. Once you get past Whipanegg get off the TCH and onto The Yellowhead. Take a tent. Once you get out west you will find lots of free camping. Leave in late May, don't come back till early September. If you don't feel like riding somedays, don't. Be advised that once out west you might not want to come back, consider staying. Pretend you're Bronson. If you don't know who that is there's no hope for ya. Just kiddin', go for it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A girl I ride with locally, did it on her CBR1000 last summer, so comparatively speaking, the Strom will be a cakewalk, just do it.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Hey Bob,

Do you want a riding partenr?

When are you planning on going? I need to do a two week trip somewhere in the summer. My thoughts were to head through the USA but I'm open to elsewhere. As long as I'm riding I'm happy.

..Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
We just might pass you on the way east. Planning a 22-day trip east this summer. Haven't decided to ship the bike to Halifax, fly there and do the full Nfld and east, or just get on and ride east and make a big circle tour. If the weather goes south, so will we. Options include Yellowstone or the Pacific coast. We'll likely decide on final tour route the week before we leave or later. Did that a few years back in the car. Planned for Lake Louise, ended up in Grand Canyon.

Good luck and have fun planning the trip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Due to having watched the movie "ONE WEEK" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14RGvWQzC6I

I've got it in my head to cross Canada on the Wee. Anyone ever done such a thing? How long? What's a reasonable amount of time for such a trip solo? Words of wisdom and advice...I think I must go. Oh and it's about the scenery and adventure and not so much about the escape. :yesnod:
When are you planning to leave? I'm heading out on July 5th, solo, mostly camping. Got 2 weeks and some extra days just in case I wandered too much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been a while, but 25 years ago my brother and I would take our Goldwings and ride hard for 2 weeks, as our summer vacation. Our wives both worked in the hospitality industry and summer was their busy time so they had no problem with us taking off. We were living in Calgary, AB at the time. Our trips included every state west of the Mississippi, a few on the east side, all the provinces west of Ontario, and Mexico 3 times. My favourite was a 1987 trip to New Orleans - 2280 miles (~3650 km) down and about 3,500 miles (~5600 km) back home. We had 17 days, but were back in 14. If you do the math, we averaged 412 miles per day, but we didn't ride at all on 4 days (2 days in Nawlins and 2 days in Houston). So figuring that in, when riding, we averaged 578 miles per day. We had one 24 hour run where we rode 1080 miles, and several 12 hour stints of 500 or more miles. In Texas we rode at night - it was just too damn hot and humid to ride those kind of distances comfortably during the day. Through New Mexico we put on soaking wet sweat pants and sweat shirts, and then put our rainsuits on over top. By adjusting the zips and cuffs we could "air condition" for about an hour before everything dried out! Lots of coffee and Denny's Grand Slams kept us fuelled for the most part. Bikes averaged around 40 mpg.
Riding through BC and Alberta is still one of my favourite areas to ride. The mountains and valleys, rivers and lakes, oceans, deserts and prairie make this region absolutely a "Must Ride". Put it on the Bucket List. It compares favourably with anything south of the border.
I have kind of rambled on a bit, but the message to all of this is....DO IT! You don't need to be a superman or some quirk of nature, just a regular person who wants to see some of the most amazing places on the planet from the seat of a motorcycle. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cross Canada

Hi, currently on my 11 th day going from Toronto to BC, will b home on day 12. Went through northern Ontario n then blasted across the prairies.
Didn't go the coast, just rode n took in the sites in the Rockies.
Rode lots of loggings roads, they're on paper maps marked as gravel.
A must see is Glacier National Park in Montana. It's worth the side trip.
The weather was crazy with thunder storms in Alberta.

I came back through, montana, north Dakota n a few other
states. Nothing to c, but I've done it now.

I'm doing this from my iPod touch so I'm not putting alot in.
If u have any questions, let me know n I'll answer what I can.
Did it on a Wee!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts