StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be driving down to Toronto to go to the Motorcycle Show on Saturday Dec 8th. I was talking to the guys at the H-D dealership and they told me that Erik Buell is going to be down there with the new 1125R on Saturday so I figured that's the day I'll go. Maybe I'll get an autograph and see if I can get a smoking deal from The Man himself.

I'll be leaving Barrie at 10am, drive down to Yorkdale Mall and then take the subway down to Front St. We'll get something to eat down there either during or after the show.

I'll give anyone interested a PM and we'll work out a meeting place or where I can pick you up later on.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Can you post a report on whats-what at the bike show?
I believe its basically the same show that will be in Calgary in January, and I am attending it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post up after the show and supply a few pics.

I'd bet that the shows are more or less the same. All the large manufacturers were there last year except for Triumph. They also had a number of the smaller market players, such as Ural, Bennelli, Hyosung etc.

They had some custom choppers, booths for various motorcycle federations, clubs and all that as well as some vendors with gear and farkles.

It's nice to go sit on the bikes, pick up a few posters for the garage and dream of winning the lottery.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Beensy

I'll be there too, but I'm not sure when. Does anyone know where I can get discount tickets, or maybe an 'all-weekend' pass?

Online tickets are at http://www.sportshows.ca/tms/visitor.htm, but they can only be used once.

I'll take some pix and post them on my picasweb account.

-Peter in TO

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
For some reason, this show doesnt hit Winnipeg (too small a market?). Not sure there is even any kind of bike show this year. The ones held in the past were barely worthwhile attending.

Looking forward to attending the Calgary show though.

Cheers!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a $2 off coupon at the Durham BMW dealership. I was being bad and looking at other bikes, shame on me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ill be heading out tomorrow after work.

Always like seeing the new models. The January show is the one to go to to buy stuff from my experiance though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ill be heading out tomorrow after work.

The January show is the one to go to to buy stuff from my experiance though.
Thats the one I'm going to hit. Just might leave the credit card at home to try to save me from myself though! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was happy to have gone to the bike show again this year.

I only brought my cell phone with me so I used the digital camera in it, so the pictures are pretty junky.

The first bikes you see entering the convention center are the Buells, exactly what I was looking for. The 1125R was right there front and center,

it is very comfortable for a sport bike. It has plenty of leg room and is an easy reach to the bars. It also feels pretty light, I'm impressed. We toured the other manufacturers and I did alot of sitting....or waiting for sitting on. Some of the other highlights were the,

Honda Veradero (heavy pig)

Ducati 848

F800GS (quite roomy)

Ducati Hypermotard (with retard on it, a sexy retard though)

I stuck around for a bit longer, grabbing up stickers, fridge magnets and renewing my subscription to Cycle Canada. I checked out a few more bikes and asked prices on some. The new CBF1000 has a nice seating position, the new Hayabusa is a bit too cramped for my liking though the ZX-14 feels wonderful. All the BMW's have my drool on them, I'd kill to have a R1200RT. Sitting on that thing is like lowering yourself onto a orthopedic pillow, so comfortable !!!

All in all it was a good day, and I was lucky that as I was having one last look at the 1125R before leaving I spotted Erik Buell. I got his autograph and had a picture taken though I couldn't talk him into a free bike, DAMN.

I think it's going to be my next bike that 1125R, I want one bad.

Me

·
Registered
88 Posts
Honda Veradero

I was also was at the Toronto show today. I asked a few questions about the Varadero. It is a 1000cc, abs, dual exhaust, 25 litre tank. Not yet available in Canada or the States. Coming this spring of 2008. For approx. $14000 - $15000. As I was walking away I overheard a guy say to the salesman " Is this the Strom Killer ". I chuckled and moved on. Some similarities to the Strom but at that price it is no Strom killer.
At the Suzuki display the Stroms were getting at lot of attention and I overheard only good remarks.
Not a bad show.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
. As I was walking away I overheard a guy say to the salesman " Is this the Strom Killer ". I chuckled and moved on.
I took the Varadero off of its kick stand and it felt very heavy. I kinda sloshed the bike side to side because I didn't quite believe how heavy it felt. I haven't looked up the stats on it yet but at $14-15K they can lick my rim.

I'd be more worried about the F800GS being the Strom killer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also had a conversation with a Honda salesman about the Varadero. He mentioned the price was expected to be between 13,000 and 14,000 but that no decision had been made and that it could change. Still overpriced in my estimation.
I asked what the bike was intended to compete with and he mentioned the F800GS. I told him the GS is selling for 12,250, although sans ABS. He shrugged.
It does feel heavy and it's as ugly up close as in pictures. On the other hand, I understand the Trans Alp is coming next year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Choppers

The most expensive bike I seen at the show was a chopper from a Windsor bike shop @ $72,000.00. They had lots left guys.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Pictures from the Toronto Motorcycle Show...

...are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pbeens/200712TorontoMotorcycleShow

DL650's were $8200+tax. I was told that the '08s are only ABS models, which I think is a mistake. Until they come up with an override switch, I think some customers may be turned off that the ABS can't easily be turned off.

The Varadero was there -- way too heavy, IMO.

Favourite bikes of the show: F800GS and the Ural (I want one -- seriously).

-Beensy, in NF & TO

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yup, the Varadero was a big pig. The sales critter did say that the Transalp was coming in a year and half or so. One of the guys at my local Suzuki dealer has a Ural; he loves it. My wife and I both drooled over the F800GS. Maybe in a year or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Puig Windscreen

There was a company at the show selling Givi gear and they had it attached to a black DL1000. It was a used bike on loan from Cycle City (I think) but it had a BEAUTIFUL Puig tinted windscreen. The rep had no idea where I could get one, but man was it nice. (He did try to sell me a Givi screen)

Does anyone have any experience with these and are they available for Wees?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts