StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

Anyone here with any experiences of Motorcycle Superstore on River St., downtown Toronto?

It's the closest shop by far to me because I live downtown -- that I'm aware of. I was thinking of getting them to install some farkles and do oil changes. I live in a condo and have no tools so it's commercial ops, I'm afraid.

Also, if you have tips about a dependable shop, please post or send me a PM.

Thanks from new blue Wee owner. My first.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What farkles?

I have tools and a garage. If it isn't too much stuff, come on up to Barrie and put them on yourself. Its a good way to get to know your bike. Heck, bring oil and a filter and we can change the oil too.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
On the subject of oil changes; it is real easy to do yourself, and will give you a certain "bonding" feeling with your bike once you have done it.

I did my first several oil changes with a strap wrench to remove the filter and just got a proper oil-filter wrench. Last fall I picked up one of those oil change trays from Canadian tire.. that makes the change relatively spill resistant and provides an easy way to transport the oil for recycling.

I think you wil find that a lot of the farkels are best done yourself.. shop time can be very expensive for little fiddly things. You have a lot of help around you here if you need it.. just ask and I am sure you will get lots of offers!

..Tom

Hey guys and gals,

Anyone here with any experiences of Motorcycle Superstore on River St., downtown Toronto?

It's the closest shop by far to me because I live downtown -- that I'm aware of. I was thinking of getting them to install some farkles and do oil changes. I live in a condo and have no tools so it's commercial ops, I'm afraid.

Also, if you have tips about a dependable shop, please post or send me a PM.

Thanks from new blue Wee owner. My first.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
On the subject of oil changes; it is real easy to do yourself, and will give you a certain "bonding" feeling with your bike once you have done it.

I think you wil find that a lot of the farkels are best done yourself.. shop time can be very expensive for little fiddly things. You have a lot of help around you here if you need it.. just ask and I am sure you will get lots of offers!
..Tom
The added benefit of doing-it-yourself is that, should something go wrong out on the road, you have a much better chance of solving the problem and continuing on.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DIY may be the way

You guys are making way too much sense.

Heavy wrote:

The added benefit of doing-it-yourself is that, should something go wrong out on the road, you have a much better chance of solving the problem and continuing on.
This may be the clincher. I'm churning this over in my head.

And may I add, that's a very generous offer, Heavy. Thanks and I will get back to you. The parts -- H&B crash bar, luggage rack and top case, and AMS skid pan -- are mostly on back order at AdvMotoStuff.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
And may I add, that's a very generous offer, Heavy. Thanks and I will get back to you. The parts -- H&B crash bar, luggage rack and top case, and AMS skid pan -- are mostly on back order at AdvMotoStuff.
Given your list, I'd say coming up to Barrie to install them would make sense. My lift would make the job a whole lot easier. Much better to work on it at eye level, rather than rolling around on the ground. Just make sure you buy a tube of blue Loctite too.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=10&subid=48&plid=153

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you riders!

Everyone was telling me to install farkles myself and get to know the bike. Well I did. So just a note of thanks to those who urged me on. And I never had to buy a tool. The OEM bike tools and some found tools (like Allen keys) worked for everything. Did buy some basic shop stuff from Cdn Tire. And I will be borrowing a torque wrench set from a friend at work (Beemer rider) to check my work.

Of course, everything took more hours than it would now. But, hey, a real learning experience. The real test will be ongoing maintenance like chain cleaning and oiling. And . . .

I'm still left with recently arrived H&B crash bars and AMotostuff skid pan. Hope to get to that sooner rather than later.

chrs

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Take Heavy up on his offer :cool: Avoid the service at the Superstore (they adjusted the chain on my friends 750 Shadow so much it was toast in 10,000km. As for Rosey Toes (aka Ted) he's the only person I would let work on my bikes. Tell him Night_Wolf says hello :mrgreen:

Everyone was telling me to install farkles myself and get to know the bike. Well I did. So just a note of thanks to those who urged me on. And I never had to buy a tool. The OEM bike tools and some found tools (like Allen keys) worked for everything. Did buy some basic shop stuff from Cdn Tire. And I will be borrowing a torque wrench set from a friend at work (Beemer rider) to check my work.

Of course, everything took more hours than it would now. But, hey, a real learning experience. The real test will be ongoing maintenance like chain cleaning and oiling. And . . .

I'm still left with recently arrived H&B crash bars and AMotostuff skid pan. Hope to get to that sooner rather than later.

chrs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another Vote for Self Oil Changes

I just got my 1st 'Strom last week, and did the oil change first thing.... Boy was that filter on tight! Two revolutions I suspect might be a bit much.... I couldn't budge it with my strap wrench (just a rubber strap) and I had a graphite/plastic type oil filter tool for my Shadow, but the end at the end just bent inside the socket. I had to drill a hole in the old filter, stab it with a screwdriver and uncrank it that way. Glad I didn't take it to Cycle World... With that much trouble it would have been a $300.00 bill.

Koob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts