StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the un-biased (no pun intended) opinion of those who have had experience between:

Pirelli Scorpion Trail vs. Bridgestone Battlewing BW502

When I bought the bike ('05 Wee) the PO had some pretty fresh Maxxis Presa Detours on it. The front has held up pretty well, minus some cupping, but the back has a big flat spot down the middle and the tread is about done.

I do very little off-road riding, and that is generally light gravel/dirt fire type roads at worst. I was thinking of going with more street specific tire (PR3, etc.) but realize that the combo might look a little silly on the bike. The price difference is pretty small between the two, so it's not a big consideration.

Input appreciated.

Cheers,
SS

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I believe that if you do a tiny search on this BB, you'll quickly see that the Battlewing is a much favored tire. But, those Pirelli's appear very similar in scope.

I'd imagine you really can't lose, whatever you choose....

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I've run both. The only bad point about the BW's was noise.

The ST's are better in my use, for some reason they hook up quite well on the dirt roads around here (better than the BW's did), and I preferred the handling on road as well.

I'd use either again without hesitation, but by choice the ST.

Peter

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use Battlewings on my '09 Wee for 99% on-road riding. I'm on my second set. The rear on the first set gave me 6300 miles on heavily loaded, touring to the AdvRider Rally last July in MT (5300) plus an up-and-back ride to a Guzzi Rally in northern MI (1000). The front lasted 10K+.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Scorpion Trails on my 2008 currently and I loved them. But, I'm getting PR3's to replace them. I saw a review that compared traction data between a bunch of different tires, including the Scorpions and PR3s, and the PR3s were better on all accounts. Yes, they look a little wierd, but if they grip better and last longer, than I'm good with that... plus, no one buys a Strom for looks... I'll see if I can find that review and post it.

Oh, btw, I am going to be 100% on road, in which case the Scorpions might be better for that 5% you plan to do offroad.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The Scorpion Trails have been original equipment on the Guzzi Stelvios and the comments on handling, both in wet and dry conditions, have been good. There have been some negative comments about short life some riders are getting from them. The Stelvio is a DS bike, similar to the 1200GS, and will weigh about 25# or so more than a well set up Wee.

There have also been comments about off-road control issues but most agree that comes from the width of the rear tire (180-17) rather than the tire itself. Some riders are changing to a narrower rim and the 150-17 tire for higher percentage off-road riding.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've run 4 sets of BW. Good tire at a modest cost. The front has never been much on fire roads; behaves like a street tire. I've discovered over the last two winters that the front simply evaporates in winter; guess the compound needs more heat. After getting just 8K out of the last one I decided to do something else. I had thought about a Heidenau K60 up front but I didn't want to give up anything on the street. Ended up with an Anakee II. Very pleased with it. Worlds better in gravel and very crisp on the street. The BW rear is fine; I get 10K and they've never misbehaved in any situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably should have been a little more clear. I'm only replacing the rear tire at this time, and thought the combo of a street tire rear (PR3), and dual sport front (Maxxis Detour), might look a little strange. Truth is, I'll likely go with street tires, front and back, at the next change out.

I've decided to go with the Pirelli S/T. At Motorcycle Superstore they offer two options:

150/70VR 17
150/70V 17 G

I'm assuming the first one is the correct one for the Wee? Also assuming the G is meant for the BMW?

What's the concensus on tire slime/beads for balancing and puncture protection?

Thanks again,
SS

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have used both the slime and the beads for balancing my rear tire, I like the piece of mind I get knowing I have flat protection if I pickup a nail...
Other than that they both seemed to work fine....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Scorpions

I had a set of Scorpions on my 09 Wee. After 19,000 kms they were still legal but cracks had appeared between the tread blocks on the front. OK on dirt if the pressure is dropped. I relaced them with Karoo Ts for offroad ride. Now have Mitas E07 on rear, waiting for front Karoo to wear out probably in another 4000kms.
The original trail wings had similar wear to the Scorpions after 11,000kms.
Both Trail Wings and Scorpions behaved well on bitumen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry I'm unable to comment on your tire choices but, I don't think I will EVER mix two different types of tires on the same machine. A lot of guys do it.

Maybe I'm overly cautious.

On a dirt bike, yes.

(Fire suit is on)

Just sayin' . . . . . .

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ok, so this gets mentioned a lot, but WHY is it supposed to be bad to mix two tires?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can someone confirm which of the two tire sizes mentioned previously is the correct one for the Wee? Just want to make sure before I place the order.

Cheers,
SS

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can someone confirm which of the two tire sizes mentioned previously is the correct one for the Wee? Just want to make sure before I place the order.

Cheers,
SS
I found this on Sporttour.com in regards to those tires. They have the one without the "G" designation in a Wee package.

"Original equipment (OE) on BMW F800 GS "G" spec.
OE on 2010 Ducati Multi Strada. "

Another site makes this designation in regard to the "G".

SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR THE LATEST GENERATION OF HIGH PERFORMANCE TRAIL BIKES, SUCH AS BMW GS, HONDA VARADERO AND TRANSALP, SUZUKI V-STROM

With only $5 difference in price, I doubt there is a difference more than the airness of having the "G", and Sporttour is extremely reputable. In short, it appears both are packaged for the Wee.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, so this gets mentioned a lot, but WHY is it supposed to be bad to mix two tires?
Different tires have different sidewall flex characteristics and grip compounds.

Ideally you want both to flex/grip somewhat uniform.

Since the front and rear are different sizes to begin with, (and have different sidewall height) , they will work somewhat differently under load/cornering/flex. Couple that with different brand/model compounds, and with different sidewall flex characteristics, and you are factoring in greater possible loss of road holding stability. Especially in the cold.

While most of us will often replace the rear with a newer tire of the same type as the front, we are still giving up some flexibility as the front has heat cycled many times and become stiffer/harder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the "G" BattleWing is a tube type tire. I have been
satisfied with the BW's. Good traction on pavement, long lasting and cost effective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PR3

Running PR3s on my DL650, 100% road, and they work great so far. Seem to have good traction in the wet although I don't push it in those conditions.

They're only the second set of tires I've had on the bike after buying used with 9k on the original Trail Wings (or whatever comes stock, I forget).

I would buy these tires again - I have actually already bought a second rear as backup after picking up a nail in the first one 2k miles ago, and plug-sealing it. My theory is if the tire starts to leak a lot, I'll have a quick replacement.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts