StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2006 dl 1000 just wondering is there any way to make them go faster on top end in 6th gear like or is 220 fast as they go it gets there fast but wont go over 220 that easy and has lots of throttle left in 6th

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The top speed of any bike is directly proportional top how high you drop it from.

That being said: do some research, I think the vee is limited in 6th (and maybe fifth too). Top speed might be easier achieved in th or 5th.

OH: do all the research; it seems that these bikes become slightly unstable above 200 km/h. (I don't know, my wee only reaches 180, but I've had an 06 up to 200 with no problems)

I know I felt a lot more comfortable/confident/in control on my 1985 gsx1150 at 260 km/h than I do on the wee at 180 (since the vee is basically the same bike, I can't see it being any more stable at that high a speed)

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Sage advice exists that one should not attempt top speed on a Vee or a Wee, especially while luggage is attached.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
The top speed of any bike is directly proportional top how high you drop it from.
Not exactly. It is actually proportional to the square root of height, disregarding air resistance. In real life, it will reach some terminal velocity where the force of gravity is equal to the air resistance.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts

That being said: do some research, I think the vee is limited in 6th (and maybe fifth too). Top speed might be easier achieved in th or 5th.

OH: do all the research; it seems that these bikes become slightly unstable above 200 km/h. (I don't know, my wee only reaches 180, but I've had an 06 up to 200 with no problems)

I know I felt a lot more comfortable/confident/in control on my 1985 gsx1150 at 260 km/h than I do on the wee at 180 (since the vee is basically the same bike, I can't see it being any more stable at that high a speed)
Suspension upgrades help with the straight line stability , but wind under the front plastics makes the front very light and it feels very "floaty" cornering at those speeds. Even better the downforce changes when you tilt the bike.

Basically, if you think it feels a bit scary in a straight line at 180kph cornering at those speeds will make you shit yourself ;).

Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
i got a 2006 dl 1000 just wondering is there any way to make them go faster on top end in 6th gear like or is 220 fast as they go it gets there fast but wont go over 220 that easy and has lots of throttle left in 6th
I'm going to answer your question with one of my own. Why in the hell would you want to go so fast on a Vee? Where I'm from, the speed limit is like 70 mph...

Flesh + Asphalt (+/- ATGATT) * 220 = 1(Big Mess)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
For legal reasons we'll assume we are talking about a "Track Day"

Even with all the upgrades either Strom wouldn't be my choice for a Track Day bike. I have a friend who uses his Wee as his Track Day bike but it's mostly just for "funzies".

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I've done a few 125 mph indicated straight line runs and alot of 120 ones on the 650. Even with ideal conditions, you can tell things are heading downhill fast when indicated speeds top 100.

I've also dragged boot heels at 100 indicated, which was beyond my comfort level and don't intend to do it again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
90 indicated, really?

I get my wee up to 90mph indicated fairly often and besides wind noise being louder it does not feel much different. 90mph indicated aint that fast. I am not hardly any faster than the other interstate traffic.

I may of taken it up to 110 indicated once ust to say I had. I wouldn't do it on a surface street or backroad though.

The aerodynamics on a strom are not the best for high speed riding. Also the brakes while adequate for somewhat sporty riding, are not gonna haul you down from 100+ anywhere near as fast as you'd like if anything unexpected happens.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The aerodynamics on a strom are not the best for high speed riding. Also the brakes while adequate for somewhat sporty riding, are not gonna haul you down from 100+ anywhere near as fast as you'd like if anything unexpected happens.
Ditto the frame -- this bike simply is not designed for high speeds.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am listening to the wisdom of GreyWolf. These are not bikes designed for high speed , all the way from the taller tire, forks airflow is all against it. I would not go over a 100 even on a track. Just the wrong bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had mine to 9k rpm in 5th at the end of the straights at PIR. Hard on the brakes, drop 2 gears and throw it into the turn. No instability on the straights even in traffic.

The bike is comparable to an SV650 in performance. But comfier!

While more motor would be nice for passing and some other instances. But it's as fast as I am capable. It'll do.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The highest speed limit I know of in my state is 70mph, but my last bike was a ZZR1200 and it had nutso power, and many times I'd be passin a truck (or two) and at the end of the pass I'd be WAY over 100mph. It was fun being launched so hard around other vehicles. The accelleration above 100mph must be felt to be believed! I don't speed a lot, but I do enjoy givin her the berries once in awhile--its part of the joy of motorcycling. Even my Vee will leave cars in the dust easily. It's fun!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I ride a DL650 so 220 kph is not an issue with my bike. But, I was under the impression that if you want to get around the built-in limiter you can use a Teka box or Power Commander to get "fool the bike" into thinking it is in a different gear.

I am not sure which after-market product my mechanic told me that you had to get in order to bypass the limiters.

Plus one with Grey Wolf though on the items required to make your VStrom more stable at speed:

1. Fork Brace,
2. Steering Dampener
3. Lowered Front end.

I have only done the lowered front end, but I have been amazed at the difference.

A fork brace is next.

BTW, on a down hill run I once got the DL650 up to 114 mph (approx 183 kph if my math is still correct) according to my Zumo. It got pretty unstable real fast. I slowed down.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts