StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pleasantly surprised with my new DL1000 that it didn't buffet as much as I'd anticipated. Well, I installed a Give 36NJ topcase and now I do have buffeting. Not too bad, but enough I'm thinking about trying to eliminate it.

By the way, I rode the bike today without the topcase to confirm no buffet. Yep, the top case does it.

I know there is a lot of info on this forum and others regarding buffeting, but I'm wondering if anyone did NOT have any, but then did after installing a topcase, then what they did to cure the problem.

Thanks for any help in my quest!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with my new DL1000 that it didn't buffet as much as I'd anticipated. Well, I installed a Give 36NJ topcase and now I do have buffeting. Not too bad, but enough I'm thinking about trying to eliminate it.

By the way, I rode the bike today without the topcase to confirm no buffet. Yep, the top case does it.

I know there is a lot of info on this forum and others regarding buffeting, but I'm wondering if anyone did NOT have any, but then did after installing a topcase, then what they did to cure the problem.

Thanks for any help in my quest!

Your findings somehow confirm what more and more strom owners are figuring out: the turbulence comes from under the fairing, not from its top. Adding a top case could somehow alter the general aerodynamics in a way that makes it draw more air from under the fairing, therefore, increase turbulence.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Below is a photo of my DL1000K6. This is the configuration that I ride all the time.

The windshield is stock, but has a Laminar Lip Touring Lip and the bottom is spaced out 15 mm.

I do believe that the Aerostitch Tank Panniers and the Large Tankbag from Frank Thomas take care of all the errant wind.

When I'm riding in quiet air, like in the morning on my 50 mile ride to work, the area where my head stays is very quiet and calm. Yes, when there is dirty air, I do feel it, but this is a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
I believe he said top case which is behind him when riding, not a tank bag.

I know it might be a matter of wording, but I will bet it isn't that the turbulance comes from under the tank, but that the stream of air coming from under the tank interacts with air coming from the air above and besides and under the windshield and from air reciruclating behind the windshield and this causes the turbulance. Little changes in attitude of the bike, wind, etc can make total changes in the setup that works. It might ibe in this case the topcase weight affects the attitude of the nost a bit, or that it changes the flow of air that is recirculating around him and that changes the interaction.

It likely won't be any one thing that fixes it for everyone.

I'm 6'2" tall..When I added a Corbin seat to my 650 I had to change everything around. I have the Madstad with the original windshield attached in the suggested (middle) position to the bike. For me pulling it all the way up and back worked best. With the Corbin (and the extra inch or so higher I sit) I found for me the windshield in the lowest adjusment allowed by the madstad worked best.

(Me new Givi + Madstad seems the best, though.)

..Tom

Your findings somehow confirm what more and more strom owners are figuring out: the turbulence comes from under the fairing, not from its top. Adding a top case could somehow alter the general aerodynamics in a way that makes it draw more air from under the fairing, therefore, increase turbulence.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tom. I forget if I mentioned it here already, but I ordered the Madstad bracket. Should be here this coming week. So I'll fiddle around with that and the stock OEM windshield. I hope I don't end up with a replacement windshield! I need those pennies for other items!:cool:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Get one of the new STROM WINGS by SWMOTECH from Twisted Throttle.

It mounts on top of any GIVI case or helmet ;)
Does it come with a "Fart Can" muffler???

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Try doing the el cheapo fix before you spend money.
Take the screen off and put 1/2" spacers (a piece of garden hose works great) under the mounting bracket where the two lower (furthermost towards the front) screws go. Remount the screen in the highest setting.
This effectively tilts the screen backwards a couple of degrees and allows more air to enter under the screen which reduces the vortex behind it.
The fix does not work for everybody (it's perfect for me) but it will cost you about 1/2 hour labour and 1" of garden hose to try. You can't beat the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts