StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to switch from a 2013 650 to 2014 1000 adventure. It took me a long time to get the 2013 650 to my liking coming from a 2006 650 which was great, and still is. I really enjoy the 650's but the 1000 is here for the taking over. So I'm finding the 1000 feeling very top heavy in comparison to the 650's. No top case or side cases on the bike. I've ridden it about 400 miles this last week and just find it very top heavy especially the low speed handling. Anyone have suggestions to combat this. We tried the lower seat but that didn't seem to change anything other than monkey butt in a hour. It has a russell day-long which was on it last summer when we went to Alaska.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
So strange, I felt no difference in steering or overall feeling between the new 1000 and my 2nd Gen 650.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Seems silly but could it be the tyres. Found that on my Concours, at low speed front felt like it wanted to turn in and was quite unstable until I change to a different set.

Reactions: cyclopathic

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Add a few items to see if it balances it out more for you

- engine guard
- crash bars
- center stand
- rear mud guard
- Aux lights

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
I got my 2015 DL1000 when I still had my 2012 DL650.

My first reaction was to note how easy the bike was to handle.. It didn't feel any heavier than the DL650 and was even easier to do full-lock turns.

(Literally the same equipment. I never bothered with crash bars and that stuff on my bikes and use the exact same 52 litre topcase whoever I rode either bike. )

..Tom

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have the opportunity to switch from a 2013 650 to 2014 1000 adventure. It took me a long time to get the 2013 650 to my liking coming from a 2006 650 which was great, and still is. I really enjoy the 650's but the 1000 is here for the taking over. So I'm finding the 1000 feeling very top heavy in comparison to the 650's. No top case or side cases on the bike. I've ridden it about 400 miles this last week and just find it very top heavy especially the low speed handling. Anyone have suggestions to combat this. We tried the lower seat but that didn't seem to change anything other than monkey butt in a hour. It has a russell day-long which was on it last summer when we went to Alaska.
I think I know what you mean. I got mine without a test ride. Actually, they didn't even have one on the floor when I bought it. I had never seen one in the flesh. When it arrived a couple of days later, I had run about a tank and a half of fuel through it and remember thinking this sucker is tall and a bit weird. I think part of that feeling was more from my other bikes than the V2 itself. Any way, at about 2000 miles I got a set of 1 inch lowering links from Rick and for me that little bit lower CG made the bike mine. I've got about 9000 miles on it now and while I still like my other bikes the V-Strom is my favorite. Hang in there, keep riding and I bet it will come to you.

Reactions: Bugzy

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
In 2014 I've traded my 2012 DL650 for 2014 DL1000 and felt no difference in handling and weigh. Center stand and Givi crash bars came few months later.
But, if it was because of the tires, yes, both bikes on Michelin PR4 front and rear all the time.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got my 2015 DL1000 when I still had my 2012 DL650.

My first reaction was to note how easy the bike was to handle.. It didn't feel any heavier than the DL650 and was even easier to do full-lock turns.

(Literally the same equipment. I never bothered with crash bars and that stuff on my bikes and use the exact same 52 litre topcase whoever I rode either bike. )

..Tom
I'm with Tom on this one. Having owned some truly top heavy bikes, the V2 turned out to be a cornering joy.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I just did the same upgrade (2013 650 to new leftover 2014 1000). I had 11,000 miles on the 650 and now 2100 miles on the 1000. I have them FARKLE'd identically (including a Givi V47 top case with maybe 10 lbs in it) and don't get it. We have a low speed course (cones in a parking lot at the dealer) to see how nimble they are at very low speeds and they use them for the training courses.

While they are very close I consistently do better with the 1000 (I thought it was the less aggressive tires) at very low speed turning and have no such feeling of top heavy on either bike except when pushing either around stopped from the side. The 650 which I have since sold had TCK70s and the new 1000 has the BWs. I had a Terry Adcox seat on the 650 (stock seat was awful) but the 1000 stock seat is fine.

Could it be your height vs seat height? I am about 6' with about a 32.5" inseam. That is the only thing I can think of.... How tall are you? Inseam? The ole noodle might be playing tricks....

Puzzled on that one...... Do the firm wings on the RDL seat affect putting your feet down?

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
I just did the same upgrade (2013 650 to new leftover 2014 1000). I had 11,000 miles on the 650 and now 2100 miles on the 1000. I have them FARKLE'd identically and don't get it. We have a low speed course (cones in a parking lot at the dealer) to see how nimble they are at very low speeds and they use them for the training courses. While they are very close I consistently do better with the 1000 (I thought it was the less aggressive tires) at very low speed turning and have no such feeling of top heavy on either bike except when pushing either around stopped from the side. The 650 which I have since sold had TCK70s and the new 1000 has the BWs. I had a Terry Adcox seat on the 650 (stock seat was awful) but the 1000 stock seat is fine.

Could it be your height vs seat height? I am about 6' with about a 32.5" inseam. That is the only thing I can think of.... How tall are you? Inseam? The ole noodle might be playing tricks....

Puzzled on that one......
Better suspension on the 1000 as well. :fineprint:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Check your air pressures...36 / 42 for street. Quit looking down and ride it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have the Michelin tires which handle very well on the street. Used Tourance on our Alaskan trip. The suspension isn't the problem as the handling is great at speed. The best feature is the brakes and we have improved the fronts with Galfer wave rotors and new pads, the stock ones were warped after the Alaskan trip. I know the weight difference isn't that great between the 650 and new 1000's, what 30 lbs. It just feels that the weight gain has a much higher CG. We don't really Farkle our bikes trying to keep the overall weight to the minimum if possible. The mind game is definitely a possibility as it's a tip toe proposition if you want two feet down, 6' with 32 inseam. I'm a one foot down type rider however, that's when the higher CG is most evident. Part of the mind game could also be riding our other bikes especially the BMW boxers as their CG is fairly low. Thanks for all the suggestions and input, I'll put on some more miles and see how it goes, love the extra power.

·
Administrator
13,818 Posts
I know the weight difference isn't that great between the 650 and new 1000's, what 30 lbs. It just feels that the weight gain has a much higher CG.
My gut says that with the low mounted exhaust the CG is likely lower than it was on my 2012 DL650. Yes there is slightly more weight, but it isn't higher weight.

Apart from the difference from your BMW there may another subjective part going on though. The dash and base of the windshield is higher than on previous generation Stroms. I think this makes it feel like its a taller bike when you first sit on it.

..Tom

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To Add: The Russell seat was the first one they had done on the new 1000. It had about 1500 miles on the bike We did the ride in service and they took a lot of time with it. After our 8,000 mile trip we revisited Russell to modify the seat making much lower and modifying the wings. The bike is at 15,000 now. The seat is comfortable and doesn't create any hindrances to note. We have Russell seats on the 650's and the BMW's also.

Reactions: SECoda

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Dare I ask what a seat like that runs? I was going to ask for a seat from Santa (Terry Adcox) until I rode the 1000 a while and decided I didn't really need one like the 2013 650 did (it was numbing lol).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
... The mind game is definitely a possibility as it's a tip toe proposition if you want two feet down, 6' with 32 inseam. I'm a one foot down type rider however, that's when the higher CG is most evident. ...
You are certainly not alone in the just getting by in the foot on ground issue. I'm also 6' x 32" and that is about 50% of the reason I lowered my bike. The thing we sorta forget in the Adventure Bike segment is that is is not enough to be able to reach the ground. One needs to be able to have those feet spread apart a few inches to be stable. Being on your toes with your feet tight against the centerline of the bike makes a really crappy tripod.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I always wear the same motorcycle boots. I wonder if that makes any difference. They are Alpinestars. We are all about the same height. I just checked and while this bike sat at the dealer for over a year (I got it as a new leftover) it was untouched other than any recalls that may have existed. For a second there I wondered if it had been lowered. lol

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
make sure the steering stem bearings are not over-tight

make sure the steering stem bearings are not over-tight

if they are - it wont' want to turn as easily

it may even weave at high speeds if upset by a sideways pothole or blast of air from a big rig

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts