StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the airfield by work they have been filming the new Top Gun movie.

No I haven't met Tom. I did see the plane that he flies in though. Yea he's a pilot and has a collection including jets. You can imagine huh!

Anyway here's what he's coming to work in

Pretty cool to see it flying, Tom gets a couple of cool points too!

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
Yeah, if hadn't been promoted up he'd have been passed over and mustered out.
If he'd been promoted properly in 30 + years, he'd be in the Pentagon, not some forlorn desert military base.
Fake movie!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he'd been promoted properly in 30 + years, he'd be in the Pentagon, not some forlorn desert military base.
Fake movie!

Forlorn desert military base?

Hey that's my home town you're talking about! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Speaking of Cruise ..he took 5 weeks with a GP racer training for this

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was a Navy carrier aviator when the original Top Gun came out. My wife and I went to the local premier in Virginia Beach. The theater was packed with F-14 and A-6 aviators from NAS Oceana. For us, it was a comedy. People laughed more in that showing than any other comedy I saw that year, including Ferris Bueller, Crocodile Dundee and Back to School.

The biggest joke was the callsign/nicknames: Maverick, Viper, Iceman, Cougar, Wolfman, Stinger, etc. They were all "cool." The truth about squadron nicknames were they were all derogatory. You got them as part of the hazing process joining your fleet squadron. So we had:
A guy named "Stu" became "Pid" (Stu-Pid)
A bald guy became "Bullethead"
A skinny guy became "Zipper"
A guy with the last name "Gilman" became "Creech" ("Gill Man" a reference to the movie the Creature of the Black Lagoon)

Yeah, they were all sophomoric and idiotic. Rarely, someone got a new callsign when the did something bad. I knew the only guy who overstressed, and totalled, an F-4 Phantom by pulling too many G's. His callsign became "G-man." Another guy who liked to visit cat houses in Nevada when we went on weapons detachments got his call sign changed to "Beefstick." Neither were considered complementary.

I won't even tell you my callsign. It's too embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
My impression of Hollywood is that the screenwriters go out and diligently interview people associated with whatever profession they're writing about. They then transcribe their copious notes into a precise outline, wipe their asses with it and just make stuff up that looks flashy and goes boom.

Many years ago when I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, a TV series came out called "For Love and Honor", about a fictional airborne unit at some made up post. It was obvious that the only thing that the writers knew about a beret was the raspberry one that Prince sang about. Cop shows and movies are magnitudes worse, and I can't even watch them, with one exception: Barney Miller. That was about as close as anyone ever got to what it was like.

I was Deitrich, of course.

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
Fake movie!
Awww! Now you've spoilt it. I'm sure that the USAF and USN must have lots of 56 year old fighter jocks.

·
Registered
14,853 Posts
"Only if the they are Scientologist or if Scientology approves of them."

I found a neat Scientology radiator badge at a women's club sale. Heavy chrome plating. It got all sorts of comments when I had it bolted to my saddle bag.
L Ron Hubbard would be very proud to see how far science fiction religion has gone. Truly amazing at what people are willing to believe.

The guys I knew were long out of the service by the time they were 56. Went out as full birds. One fellow quit because the command he was filling in for was given to a woman.
Kinda rankled him. He made full bird but didn't retire. Only had 17 years.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
The P51 is still one of the coolest looking (and performing) WWII warbirds around.

Drop in to the Camarillo Airport on a Saturday or Sunday morning and you'd be amazed at the aircraft that fly in for brunch. I've seen P51s, private Blackhawks, the occasional biplane and plenty of other oddities.

I have never been impressed by Tom Cruise as an actor. Usually the movie carries him, not vice versa.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awww! Now you've spoilt it. I'm sure that the USAF and USN must have lots of 56 year old fighter jocks.
It wouldn't be impossible. The Admiral in the last strike group I deployed with (2015-16 timeframe) commissioned in 1984. Assuming he was around 22 when he commissioned, he would have been approaching mid-50s on that cruise and he flew Hornets once or twice a week. But that's as a senior one-star and he likely won't fly again after that tour. Statutory retirement for an O-6 (Mav's pay grade in that publicity still) is 30 years, so he'd be gone.

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
So what are we gonna do when Russia attacks and Maverick, Ice Man, Jester and Wolfman are not there to protect us?
And who will replace Goose?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts